But....that just makes it worse!

Roccoriel

So, I am frantically checking my application websites/email for updates multiple times per day (as I'm sure we all are).

Today, one of the schools I've applied to posted that they have reached a decision regarding me application. I was ultra excited (because, seriously, at this point, I just want to know). I scroll down only to find out that I have to wait to find out what that decision is until I get the letter in the mail as they don't post results online.

:huh:

I promise I wouldn't be more or less happy/sad based on whether I find out online or via snail mail. Really. Seriously. I just want to know!!

Sorry for the ramble. I'm freaking out a little here! lol

Oh gosh, that is frustrating! Good for you that you didn't immediately call for the result! (I would be so tempted.) Is there a mind-numbing part of your thesis you can work on (stats? graphs? checking proper citations and margin width?) so you won't feel so distracted?

At least you'll have a decision soon...;)

I wonder what the reasoning is behind that.

Clearly, it's a bureaucratic process designed by an admincrittter who HATES students and likes to torture them, slowly and painfully. B)

Roccoriel, that stinks. If it were me, I would be a straight-up basket case until the letter arrived. I hope that you're able to cope with uncertainty better than I am! And I hope that the reason why they couldn't display your decision online is that they need to present your financial offer on paper, since most of the online systems don't seem to have a place for that. Good luck!

I feel slowly and painfully tortured, but I'm better now. I hope it has something to do with a financial offer! That would be great!

After flailing for a while, I have been able to get some constructive work done on my project. However, if I didn't obsessively color code things by categories, I wouldn't be able to concentrate enough to do it ;-) Organizing by taxa, not so much, organizing by color, that I can handle!

If makes you feel any better, I'm completing this app round outside of the US. More than that, I'm In Egypt and it's still pretty revolutionary here. I'm pretty sure the post isn't up and running, and even if it is it takes two to three weeks to get post from the US. So I'm really hoping that one of my schools changed their notification methods between this year and last or it's going to be a really, really long wait. Hope your wait is short and sweet!

If makes you feel any better, I'm completing this app round outside of the US. More than that, I'm In Egypt and it's still pretty revolutionary here. I'm pretty sure the post isn't up and running, and even if it is it takes two to three weeks to get post from the US. So I'm really hoping that one of my schools changed their notification methods between this year and last or it's going to be a really, really long wait. Hope your wait is short and sweet!

I would think if you emailed them and told them of your situation, they would be willing to let you know by email. (As a practical consideration, they want to know if you're accepting an offer, the sooner the better.) If they won't play along, that might be a sign that the program admins aren't student friendly.

Oh, man. That kind of makes me feel bad even complaining about my situation. Best of luck and I hope you hear soon!

More than that, I'm In Egypt and it's still pretty revolutionary here.

Wow! First of all, I hope that you and yours (as my grandmother used to say, meaning your family and your loved ones) are safe. Secondly, congratulations! I am in awe of the courage and resourcefulness of the individuals fighting for freedom in the Middle East right now. I wish that I could do more than sit in the U.S. and send good thoughts across the globe. Thirdly, let us know if there's anything that any of us can do for you - if you let your programs know your situation, I'm sure that they would be willing to email you, but if not, and you want to use a U.S. mailing address and have one of us type or scan your letters and email them to you, let us know. If there's other stuff that we can do, there's a grad cafe at every major university in the U.S., and I suspect many of us would be willing to do what we can.

Best of luck to you!

Edited by neuropsychosocial

Sorry for the ramble. I'm freaking out a little here! lol

Did you ever end up hearing from them??

If makes you feel any better, I'm completing this app round outside of the US. More than that, I'm In Egypt and it's still pretty revolutionary here.

Whoa. We are ALL rooting for you!

Did you ever end up hearing from them??

I did! I was accepted, but they didn't mention funding of any kind, so I am kind of wondering if that sort of information is on it's way or if that just means I didn't get any. I guess I'm just supposed to wait and see. I am still waiting on another school, so I guess I can wait for more info from school 1 while waiting for any info from school 2. :) Thank you for asking!

Gunlesswonder- any word from your schools?

I did! I was accepted, but they didn't mention funding of any kind, so I am kind of wondering if that sort of information is on it's way or if that just means I didn't get any. I guess I'm just supposed to wait and see. I am still waiting on another school, so I guess I can wait for more info from school 1 while waiting for any info from school 2. :) Thank you for asking!

Gunlesswonder- any word from your schools?

I got this very irritating email from Davis on Feb 11th:

"We are in the process of making a decision on your application for admission. You may review the decision after 8:00 a.m. PST on February 17, 2011, by accessing your UC Davis application on the online admission web site. Please contact the Geography program if you have any questions regarding this decision."

Wow, thanks for the heads up guys. Now I know that for the next week I should dial my anxiety level up from high, to crazy high. I'm pretty sure adcomms enjoy torturing people like us.

When I checked and found out that I had been accepted I also noticed they they didn't mention funding. I'm in the same boat as you on the "wait and see" thing. I'm still waiting on two schools as well, both of which I would chose over UC Davis.

Congrats on the acceptance though, I hope it was your first choice school.