Waitlisted

nobody2008

What happens if you have been accepted into a decent program but are waiting to hear from a stronger school? When are the wait listed students normally informed that they have been accepted? After April 15? In that case (after April 15) students will be in a bit of a pickle because the only logical choice is to accept the decent offer by April 15. But then when they do get the offer from the stronger school after April 15, they'll try to accept that too. Is this quite common accepting another school and rejecting a school that you have already accepted. I understand for funded programs you need to get a release from the school you previously accepted. But when you are not funded by either school? What are your options?

When are the students told that they have been wait listed? Are they informed at all they have been wait listed or the schools simply send only accept/reject?

It seems that the schools will let you know sometime after April 15, even May. It really depends on the school. Usually, you have to pay a non-refundable deposit to confirm your acceptance. I assume that's what you need to pay at the decent school where you've been accepted. I'm in a similar situation myself. I have been accepted into a school (not my top choice) and need to reply by March 1st with the non-refundable deposit to confirm my attendance. I would honestly contact the school and ask them when they usually let you know about waitlisting. Each school is different. Also, try to see if you can get in touch with previous students (look at older blogs) who may be able to give you more information. You may also want to contact the school that's accepted you to see if they can extend their response deadline. Best of luck!!