Cornell STS

moraurora

It seems that they work as Cuny does...I mean, they reject some people in the first round, then they continue looking at the files. Last year, someone got rejection in the beginning of february, then some other applicant who was told that s/he was a finalist of sth like that got rejection in the end of march. It sucks though, the fact that it takes so long... :) Please keep me updated if you hear sth, I certainly will pm or post here! Fingers crossed!

I applied to Cornell Communications department, but then got a call from one of the professors suggesting that he move my application to the STS program. That was at the end of January. I was also in New York looking at another school, and asked about visiting Cornell's campus. The grad secretary told me to wait until decisions were made, which "will be in a few weeks." That was on February 23. Also, when I was talking to the STS professor in January, he said they only had funding for three incoming students. I'm not feeling too hopeful...

I got a phone call from a professor there on Friday. He said they have already made all the offers they can, but that I was at or near the top of the list of people still being considered if some of the accepted students decline the offers. So I imagine anyone who hasn't been officially rejected is in a similar situation, but it does sound like a long shot since they only make around three offers, as ldh pointed out.

Edited by twchristopher

I really wish someone who got in would contribute here!

What are your interests, twchristopher, moraurora, and ldh? I'm afraid I have to waffle on this on the public board, but I would be happy to share mine once my situation with regard to this department becomes clearer, or via private chat.

I got a phone call from a professor there on Friday. He said they have already made all the offers they can, but that I was at or near the top of the list of people still being considered if some of the accepted students decline the offers. So I imagine anyone who hasn't been officially rejected is in a similar situation, but it does sound like a long shot since they only make around three offers, as ldh pointed out.

It's great that you got a phone call. I wish they would let us know. I mean, what are the chances that all of the people on this forum (four different people) are near the top of the list? And depending on when people accept of decline, we could be waiting for a while to find out. Boo.

It's great that you got a phone call. I wish they would let us know. I mean, what are the chances that all of the people on this forum (four different people) are near the top of the list? And depending on when people accept of decline, we could be waiting for a while to find out. Boo.

Yeah, exactly. And considering the prestige of people like Mike Lynch, Trevor Pinch, Steve Hilgartner... Yeah.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...