I'm striking out, and need some advice....

gunlesswonder

Hi all-

I'm still waiting to hear back from one of my schools, but I hold very little hope of getting into the program because of low GRE's. Everything else I have rocks- peer reviewed publications, presented at several big European and US conferences, lots of research experience ect. Thus it now appears that I have a couple of choices. I can wait and reapply for next year, and retake the GREs (I did poorly on this round in part because I was sick and jetlagged). Not a bad option, but it would mean start paying back some of my loans, which sucks. Finding a job might also be very difficult.

I'm now looking at applying to an anthro ph.d program at University of Aberdeen, which has later deadline and does not ask for the GRE. While I've spent my entire college career going to school outside the US, it's always been in the American system and I know that the UK pedagogy is very different. Has anyone had any experience with university level studies in Scotland? I know that it's generally a shorter time to ph.d, but other then that I've have no real idea what I might be getting myself into and what sort of expectations there are. Can anyone clue me in, or comment on the University of Aberdeen? The program is fully funded, so that's not a worry.

I really do feel that that reason that I'm not getting in my scores, and I know that I can improve on that. Moreover, the programs that I applied to seem to be a great fit and all made me very excited. The U of A program would mean changing the research design a bit, but is something I'm still really interested in. And I must admit, the thought of getting my ph.d done earlier would be great. My worry is that I will get there and not do well because the pedagogy is so different.

So what say you all? Wait, try getting into Scotland? Thanks!

I work in Scotland at a University, and the thought of a full-funded, 3 year PhD sounds brilliant. Although I don't work in Anthropology (although I've done Anthro before) I don't find things to be that different - it really depends on how you get on with your supervisor, but you will likely get very little advising from your supervisor, it's very independent here, no classes (which I also think is brilliant) - you will meet when you have things to discuss, concrete problems to troubleshoot, etc. Good luck.

P.S. feel free to message me if you want; I would've done my PhD in the UK for sure.

Hi all-

I'm still waiting to hear back from one of my schools, but I hold very little hope of getting into the program because of low GRE's. Everything else I have rocks- peer reviewed publications, presented at several big European and US conferences, lots of research experience ect. Thus it now appears that I have a couple of choices. I can wait and reapply for next year, and retake the GREs (I did poorly on this round in part because I was sick and jetlagged). Not a bad option, but it would mean start paying back some of my loans, which sucks. Finding a job might also be very difficult.

I'm now looking at applying to an anthro ph.d program at University of Aberdeen, which has later deadline and does not ask for the GRE. While I've spent my entire college career going to school outside the US, it's always been in the American system and I know that the UK pedagogy is very different. Has anyone had any experience with university level studies in Scotland? I know that it's generally a shorter time to ph.d, but other then that I've have no real idea what I might be getting myself into and what sort of expectations there are. Can anyone clue me in, or comment on the University of Aberdeen? The program is fully funded, so that's not a worry.

I really do feel that that reason that I'm not getting in my scores, and I know that I can improve on that. Moreover, the programs that I applied to seem to be a great fit and all made me very excited. The U of A program would mean changing the research design a bit, but is something I'm still really interested in. And I must admit, the thought of getting my ph.d done earlier would be great. My worry is that I will get there and not do well because the pedagogy is so different.

Edited by jcandy

Keep in mind that a British Ph.D. and an American Ph.D. are not equivalent - with a British degree, you don't exactly come out as an expert in your field as you do in the States. If you want to go on the job market in the States after you finish, this might pose a problem, and it will be much harder to network from overseas to prepare you for the job market. Not to scare you, just something to think about.

Keep in mind that a British Ph.D. and an American Ph.D. are not equivalent - with a British degree, you don't exactly come out as an expert in your field as you do in the States. If you want to go on the job market in the States after you finish, this might pose a problem, and it will be much harder to network from overseas to prepare you for the job market. Not to scare you, just something to think about.

Not true at all, though sadly some in the US still view things this way which can make getting a job there with a UK PhD more difficult.

Fully funded is great, shorter time scale is great! I was also considering a PhD in the EU with a shorter timespan, the only thing that got me was that I am coming from a BSc and though have had some research jobs, I feel like I need the graduate level classes. You might not feel this way though and can enter your program and hit the ground running!

I have had the same spiel from others too about how PhDs in Europe are not as 'comprehensive' as PhDs here...and it's really hard to say I think you can be as productive as a someone here who did a US PhD. You know you can always to summer field research or summer fellowships here in the States and after you finish your degree you can look into post-docs here too. If you are excited about the potential research and faculty I say go ahead and apply!

From your post it sounds like you have a really strong work ethic that should show through and remember, you haven't heard back from everyone yet so hang in there!

Ah, well this was just the advice I received from a friend who recently completed his Ph.D. in England. I had been looking into studying overseas myself but decided against it when he told me how much harder the market was for him when he came back.

I work in Scotland at a University, and the thought of a full-funded, 3 year PhD sounds brilliant. Although I don't work in Anthropology (although I've done Anthro before) I don't find things to be that different - it really depends on how you get on with your supervisor, but you will likely get very little advising from your supervisor, it's very independent here, no classes (which I also think is brilliant) - you will meet when you have things to discuss, concrete problems to troubleshoot, etc. Good luck.

P.S. feel free to message me if you want; I would've done my PhD in the UK for sure.

Thanks so much jcandy! Can you give me any idea about how the U of A is thought of within Scotland? And wow no classes at all, even in the first year? Do you have any idea if teaching/ TA appointments common?

Intresting.... I already have my MA in anthro, do think that it might make a difference? Is the difference due to the shorter time spent on the degree?

And I have heard nice things about U of Aberdeen. Aside from the weather that is!

Thanks for the encouragement Langoustine! It looks like a great program, and I've done several large research projects and things on the side that (I hope!) would prepare me for a more hands-off approach. We'll see :) And as to the weather... I'm from Seattle originally, but have lived in Egypt the last five years. Rain sounds perfectly lovely to me!

Aberdeen is really nice--sort of a surfy Scottish town of sorts. Scotland's education system is great, and certain programs in Scottish universities are definitely tops, depending on your field (I don't know much about anthro...). Glasgow and Edinburgh are really well regarded within academia, and I believe as long as Aberdeen has a strong department you can't go wrong.

I think UK pedagogy in general has much more of a focus on student independence. If you need a really close relationship with an advisor, the US might be a better choice for you. If not, you could very well thrive in a Scottish environment. It depends on what you want! I would suggest emailing the dept. and asking to be put in contact with some current students, so you can learn more.

Good luck with your decisions!

Hi all-

I think U of A, St. Andrews, Glasgow and Edinburgh are all well respected. I think teaching/TA appointments is dependent on need and if the student is interested (some are not and only interested in research). Best to get in touch with your supervisor and sort that out, if you're interested I can't see why the can't accommodate. I think they expect you to have done the class work in your Masters, which is why there's no classes.

Thanks so much jcandy! Can you give me any idea about how the U of A is thought of within Scotland? And wow no classes at all, even in the first year? Do you have any idea if teaching/ TA appointments common?

Intresting.... I already have my MA in anthro, do think that it might make a difference? Is the difference due to the shorter time spent on the degree?

Thanks for the encouragement Langoustine! It looks like a great program, and I've done several large research projects and things on the side that (I hope!) would prepare me for a more hands-off approach. We'll see :) And as to the weather... I'm from Seattle originally, but have lived in Egypt the last five years. Rain sounds perfectly lovely to me!