On applying next year after being rejected

jerimiah

I was just wondering if anybody has gone through the process of applying for philosophy programs two years in a row, and was successful the second time around? I've been rejected from 8 out of 9 Ph.D. programs and I'm starting to think about how to improve my application for next year. Does anyone have any advice?

Not in philosophy but my advice would be to contact the program that rejected you to get more info on why you were rejected. Maybe there was something in your letters or elsewhere in your file that you need to address in future applications.

I applied last year and didn't get into any PhD programs but did get into a one-year MA. I applied this year, and I've gotten into some good programs. I think the MA really helped, as I had been out of school for a while before that. It not only made me look more serious about grad school, but also actually made me much better able to prepare a competitive writing sample, talk the talk in the personal statement, etc. So you might want to consider the MA route.

I wouldn't bother trying to re-take the GRE, unless your scores were egregiously low, as I really don't think the schools take them all that seriously unless they're below some cut-off or other, which probably varies by school. The amount of time it would take to study for and retake the test and get a better score just wouldn't be worth it. You'd be much better off spending that time on your writing sample.

You could also try visiting some of the schools you're interested in, if they're open to it. If you present well in person, you'll have a leg up over people who are just names on paper.

It will take some digging, but the "Who Got In?" threads are great sources of advice, as there are plenty of people every year who are in your situation, and they ask for advice and get it. Check out the following links:

http://community.livejournal.com/who_got_in/26814.html

http://community.livejournal.com/who_got_in/66785.html

http://community.livejournal.com/who_got_in/88132.html

Best of luck!

jerimiah-

I applied last year to 8 or 10 Phd programs in philosophy. Best offer I got was an unfunded MA at UC Boulder. I decided to stay in undergrad for another year and double-major (in classics), and I applied for philosophy programs again this year. I applied to a couple of PhD programs I really liked (Arizona, UI Chicago), and some that were close (OSU, IU Bloomington), but I put most of my focus on MA programs. I applied to 6, and I got into 5. I'm still waiting on Northern Illinois. I got full funding at 4, and turned down another before I heard back, and I also got a fellowship at one.

The point is that applying a second time can pay off. It might suck to apply again next year for MA's, and then have to apply again for PhD's the follow year. But its a safer bet, and will put you in a better position for PhDs in the future. It'll also give you more time to build experience and make new contacts, maybe get some conferences or publications on your CV. If nothing else, you'll also see how other departments operate, which can be an eye-opener.

That being said, I had to spent a lot of time debating whether i was going to try again at all. The field is already so competitive that I wondered what my job chances would be if I couldn't even make it into a program in the first place. This is not to say that you should give up, but it does mean that its something that needs to be considered.

In response to tofunoodle's post, I would say that taking the GRE again might be a good idea. I'm planning on studying for it this summer before I go to my MA. tofunoodle is right that it shouldn't make a big difference if you're past the cut-off point. Unfortunately, it gets to the point where every little bit matters, including GRE scores. From what I've heard, writing sample is most important, followed by letters of rec, then statement of purpose and transcript, then GRE score. But if you're competing for a spot with someone who's comparable in these areas, the GRE score can be make-or-break.

Hope that helps. I've been in your position, and it sucks. Hope things work out for you.

Thanks everybody for your replies.

Also, I was wondering what people think of a 4.5 on the writing portion of the GRE? I definitely want to redo it because 4.5 seems really low for someone who wants to go to gradschool for philosophy. I was wondering, however, if maybe it might have been a large factor in my rejections. Does anyone know anything about if this might have been below cutoff points?

Thanks!

Thanks everybody for your replies.

Also, I was wondering what people think of a 4.5 on the writing portion of the GRE? I definitely want to redo it because 4.5 seems really low for someone who wants to go to gradschool for philosophy. I was wondering, however, if maybe it might have been a large factor in my rejections. Does anyone know anything about if this might have been below cutoff points?

Thanks!

In my opinion it's really no big deal. I also had a 4.5, so naturally I was very worried myself. But *every* prof with whom I raised the matter told me it was nothing to worry about. They were right: out of 13 applications, I got in at 7 schools (including a top-5 school, and all the others but one were top-25) and got waitlisted at two more (including NYU--obviously, that didn't amount to anything). During my visits, when I discussed my initial fears with profs who had been on the admissions committee, they again unanimously confirmed that, in general, they pay the AWA score *zero* attention. Now, I suppose it could play against you if your other scores are low, but unless that's your case, my advice would be not to bother re-taking the test. They won't look at your GRE scores again after the initial screening, anyway. Better to concentrate on your writing sample.

Hope that helps!