Anonymous Details on Funding Offers

I see a lot of questions on the board about funding offers. It seems people are trying to figure out what is a good offer and how it compares to others they might be waiting for or others that people have been offered.

I figured it would be interesting to post funding info so everyone can compare and judge quality of packages. You dont have to post the schools name (but feel free if you want). Maybe just post "School A, 15k year stipend, Teaching Assistant, Full Medical, Tuition Waived, 3 years guaranteed" or something similar. Just a though...

School A- teaching assistantship; full tuition waiver, health insurance, 15,600 stipend. 4 years.

School B- teaching assistantship; full tuition waiver, health insurance, 15,300 stipend. Not sure how many years.

pretty standard.

I see a lot of questions on the board about funding offers. It seems people are trying to figure out what is a good offer and how it compares to others they might be waiting for or others that people have been offered.

I figured it would be interesting to post funding info so everyone can compare and judge quality of packages. You dont have to post the schools name (but feel free if you want). Maybe just post "School A, 15k year stipend, Teaching Assistant, Full Medical, Tuition Waived, 3 years guaranteed" or something similar. Just a though...

Edited by Jcantrone

Mass Comm PhD offers

School A: Full tuition, health insurance, $20,000 stipend, TA/RA-ship, 4 years guaranteed

School B: Full tuition, health insurance, $22,000 stipend, TA/RA-ship, 3 years guaranteed

School C: Full tuition, health insurance, $21,500 stipend, TA-RA-ship, 3 years guaranteed

School D: Full tuition, $12000 stipend, TA/RA-ship, 1 year guaranteed

School E: "Offering funding," details TBA

Sorry for using this thread, but I have a question: Some of my schools give standard-packages of full tuition/insurance + 14.000/15.000 a year. (just like Jcantrone)

Is this enough to live on? It seems very little to me, especially since I won't be able to take another job (because of my visa). Is this really enough to pay rent and to not starve and have a social life (which means going to the movies or out sometimes...)?

Sorry for using this thread, but I have a question: Some of my schools give standard-packages of full tuition/insurance + 14.000/15.000 a year. (just like Jcantrone)

Is this enough to live on? It seems very little to me, especially since I won't be able to take another job (because of my visa). Is this really enough to pay rent and to not starve and have a social life (which means going to the movies or out sometimes...)?

That really depends on the city you are living in and the cost of living there. 14-15,000/year might be reasonable for Columbia, MO (Mizzou), but less so for NYC (Columbia Univ). That said, plenty of programs offer about that much in stipends and their students pull it off, either by living cheaply or combining the stipend with a school loan.

damn, those are some nice offers. im guess School D is out lol..

Mass Comm PhD offers

School A: Full tuition, health insurance, $20,000 stipend, TA/RA-ship, 4 years guaranteed

School B: Full tuition, health insurance, $22,000 stipend, TA/RA-ship, 3 years guaranteed

School C: Full tuition, health insurance, $21,500 stipend, TA-RA-ship, 3 years guaranteed

Haha, yeah, at this point the school offering $12,000 and the one with no funding (UW-Madison, surprise surprise) are almost certainly off the table. But the process is far from over, so we'll see! I really didn't expect to get accepted anywhere, so this has all been a bit surprising.

damn, those are some nice offers. im guess School D is out lol..

Mass Comm PhD offers

You've got so many funding offers!!! You are cool, man! :o

Depends totally on a city. You must research that. For example, you can start from City Guide board on this forum. They talk about cost of living there. Just search for threads about your cities.

This is a great idea!

School A: full tuition, health insurance, and $14K annual stipend for 3 years with RA/TA position

School B: full tuition, health insurance, $21,300 annual stipend for 4 years (with RA/TA position during years 2 and 3), $2K annual travel/conference allowance, plus funding for family to tag-along for such conferences, childcare grants

School C: waiting to hear back about funding

School D: waiting to hear about admission status

Media/Communications PhD, major urban areas, large, private institutions:

School A: $30,000 a year, 4-5 years, 2-year teaching commitment

School B: details pending, but previous years have been around 24-25K

School A looks familiar...is it on the West Coast?