CU Boulder

finalcountdown

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! Anyone heading for CU Boulder? I've been researching on everything from weather to rent rates. Would love to exchange info or just say hi...

I've got my choices narrowed down to two schools, and CU-Boulder is one of them. What's your field? I'm in political science.

I went to their recruitment weekend a few weeks ago and had a great first impression. People were really welcoming, and the area is beautiful.

Hey,

Thank you for the reply. In fact, I received another admit two days ago so i'm pretty much in a similar situation. I applied to the mass communication program. As an international student, i won't be able to visit before deciding, which really sucks.

But, I've heard good things about Boulder. And, all my phone and email conversations with the faculty have been wonderful. My only concern is the weather.

Well, good luck with your decision and thx for dropping a line...

I've got my choices narrowed down to two schools, and CU-Boulder is one of them. What's your field? I'm in political science.

I went to their recruitment weekend a few weeks ago and had a great first impression. People were really welcoming, and the area is beautiful.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got it narrowed down to 3 schools, and one of them is CU Boulder. I'd be going to Speech/Language Pathology.

I'll be going to visit on April 11th, and I'll do my best to remember to let you know what I think! I was in Boulder for a day last year, and it was beautiful. I'm mostly concerned about the rigor and prestige of the department.

Good luck in deciding!

I'm in the last couple semesters of my undergrad at CU-Boulder, have lived here for 3 years. If you have any questions about the area or general questions about the school, I'd be happy to answer. Also, to the poster applying to Speech Path, I'm doing my undergrad in the SLHS department so I know a lot about it if you have any questions specifically about the program. Good luck guys! Boulder is a great place to be :)

For whatever it's worth, I grew up in Boulder and went to undergrad here(mech E, have friends in PolySci). I'd be happy to answer any and all questions.

As far as the weather goes-- Yesterday, sunny and 80F. Today, it rained/snowed. Tomorrow, 60F. We average 300 days of sunshine a year.....and it's been average high of mid 50s for March.

Hey kayrlis,

It's good to hear from more people considering CU Boulder. I look forward to hearing your second impression about the place. Have a great trip and good luck with your decision!

I've got it narrowed down to 3 schools, and one of them is CU Boulder. I'd be going to Speech/Language Pathology.

I'll be going to visit on April 11th, and I'll do my best to remember to let you know what I think! I was in Boulder for a day last year, and it was beautiful. I'm mostly concerned about the rigor and prestige of the department.

Good luck in deciding!

Thank you for helping us out Bimmerman and SLP-Allie! I come from a city where average temperature is around 100F so I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for being in a cold place. Apart from weather, are there enough eating options for a vegetarian in Boulder-Denver? Also, I've been told that staying in grad housing is better for international students in their first year. What do you think..

Thank you for helping us out Bimmerman and SLP-Allie! I come from a city where average temperature is around 100F so I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for being in a cold place. Apart from weather, are there enough eating options for a vegetarian in Boulder-Denver? Also, I've been told that staying in grad housing is better for international students in their first year. What do you think..

There are plenty of eating options for vegetarians, don't worry about that.

No clue on grad housing being better for internationals, but it will be pricier and smaller than normal houses/apartments for rent. Depends whether you want to insulate yourself from the community and town and live with fellow internationals or not.

That's very helpful, thanks Bimmerman! I think I've made my decision but will be sleeping over it for a day or two. Goodluck to everybody going through this difficult process.

There are plenty of eating options for vegetarians, don't worry about that.

No clue on grad housing being better for internationals, but it will be pricier and smaller than normal houses/apartments for rent. Depends whether you want to insulate yourself from the community and town and live with fellow internationals or not.

I'm going to Boulder! I literally just sent my email. I was there from Saturday night till yesterday afternoon. It was lovely.

There are tons of eating options for vegetarians. I myself am a veggie, and I had no problem walking around and finding delicious food to eat where ever I went. Leaf Vegetarian Restaurant at Pearl & 16th had a pretty good seitan cheesesteak (something I've never tried before), and awesome sweet potato fries.

I cannot overexaggerate how beautiful the city is. I walked maybe 2 miles from my hostel, and I was up in the Flatirons, high enough to see all around. The conservation-mindedness of the city means that there are recycling bins and bike lanes everywhere, curbside composting, and lots of local and organic food available. The sun refuses to stop shining (300 days a year!).

There's a state law in Colorado that cars must stop for pedestrians, and they DO. This is a more-or-less ignored law where I come from, so it was refreshing to be given the right of way.

I went out alone downtown (Pearl St.) on Saturday night, and met some lovely, friendly, down-to-earth people from the area. All in all, I had a great experience in Boulder. I look forward to living there for several years!

ETA: The department was so positive and supportive, the preschool (where I will want to spend most of my time) looked exactly like a good preschool should, the facilities were well-decorated, of good quality, and inviting; and the people in the department were very intelligent. I think Boulder's going to be a great fit.

I will be doing the moving-across-the-country housing shuffle this summer, finalcountdown, so if you want advice about looking for housing from afar, I'll be well-versed in it come June.

The international hostel is of pretty decent quality, for a hostel. I plan on staying there for a week ($190 plus a refundable $10 key deposit) while I find more permanent digs.

Edited by kayrlis

Hi. I currently live in Boulder (been here for nine years) and will be moving out to Tuscon next year for my fiance to do his PhD in optics there. If you need help looking for a place to live, go here: http://www.housinghelpers.com/

All their services are free. We used them last year to find our place we're in now, and it's great! They can help you with location: i.e. near the parties or not (we went with not) , and they'll stay within your rent range. Great, free service for anyone moving out here.