UC Riverside

Anyone willing to share their stats? I was hoping to make it into this program, but it looks like all the offers went out . . . it would be nice to know what the they valued there. Thanks, and congrats - it's great to see those few "admitted" results after then endless list of rejections . . .

Anyone willing to share their stats? I was hoping to make it into this program, but it looks like all the offers went out . . . it would be nice to know what the they valued there. Thanks, and congrats - it's great to see those few "admitted" results after then endless list of rejections . . .

My U.G. GPA is very high, GRE is decent. Writing sample and SOP were both pretty strong. I think it was more about fit as I do transdisciplinary stuff with aesthetics and culture and what-not. In case anyone is wondering, it's a $15k fellowship for the first year, and four years TA at about $17k.

My U.G. GPA is very high, GRE is decent. Writing sample and SOP were both pretty strong. I think it was more about fit as I do transdisciplinary stuff with aesthetics and culture and what-not. In case anyone is wondering, it's a $15k fellowship for the first year, and four years TA at about $17k.

Congratulations!

Yeah, one of my recs also mentioned that the program (like most others, I suppose) was more about fit than about the stats. But it helps to know.

This program was one of my top choices :-/ Oh well.

You didn't by any chance hear how many admits went out etc, did you?

I saw a couple of acceptances posted. Congratulations! Anyone around here claiming these?

This was actually in my top 2 choices. I was lucky enough to be accepted, and blown away when I got the Chancellor's Fellowship (29 K first year, and 30 K after that--thats including 16K for TAship). I really like the faculty and dept. at UCR. Prof. Zieger has been very supportive of my interest in cultural criticism of medicine and literature.

Can't wait to go the open house.

Still waiting on USC--probably a no, and UCSB

Weatherwax, there was no information about numbers unfortunately. The only stats they gave were about the program itself in relation to others. Also, I have no real idea as to where we are in the admit / reject timeline. Like lservitje, I was notified a couple of weeks back that my paperwork was being forwarded for approval, but I wanted to wait until I had the official offer before celebrating. I hope you get some good news from the school soon. We're supposed to get calls from the DGS and faculty next week, so I'll be sure to post any pertinent info.

(29 K first year, and 30 K after that--thats including 16K for TAship).

Yeah, I got a similar fellowship and figures -- but just to be clear, they include tuition and health insurance etc. The in-pocket stipend/TA is like $17k which is standard for the UC's. With fees included, it works out to like $30k a year. Either way, it's very generous! Congrats, lservitje -- we should talk, as your proposed research sounds fascinating.

This was actually in my top 2 choices. I was lucky enough to be accepted, and blown away when I got the Chancellor's Fellowship (29 K first year, and 30 K after that--thats including 16K for TAship). I really like the faculty and dept. at UCR. Prof. Zieger has been very supportive of my interest in cultural criticism of medicine and literature.

Can't wait to go the open house.

Still waiting on USC--probably a no, and UCSB

Congratulations! That is a handsome offer and I'm excited for you. (You research does sound fascinating.)

And to you as well, truckbasket. Congratulations!

Congratulations !!! I have a question. Do you know whether they have also sent the admission results for MA in English? If not, when do they generally let the applicants know? I guess MA decisions follow PHD ones but I am not sure and I keep waiting :):)

Thanks weatherwax. Much appreiciated.

Congratulations !!! I have a question. Do you know whether they have also sent the admission results for MA in English? If not, when do they generally let the applicants know? I guess MA decisions follow PHD ones but I am not sure and I keep waiting :):)

I didn't get any mention of that, Hilda. If I hear anything, I'll post.

Wondering if anyone else hasn't heard anything from Riverside... saw the wait list yesterday, and a rejection today, but I still haven't heard boo.

Haven't heard anything either. Still wondering what that means.

Didn't Tina tell you not to share your fellowship amounts as it could breed discontent among cohort members?

Hilda,

I don't believe there's a terminal MA program anymore. It's pretty much all or nothing here.

Didn't Tina tell you not to share your fellowship amounts as it could breed discontent among cohort members?

No, no communication with Tina at all -- and no mention of that. But it makes good sense. I'll edit.

Grrr. Can't edit. Oh well.

Edited by truckbasket

No, no communication with Tina at all -- and no mention of that. But it makes good sense. I'll edit.

Grrr. Can't edit. Oh well.

I did not get that piece of info from Tina; however, like truckbasket says, it makes good sense.

Apologies.

I did not get that piece of info from Tina; however, like truckbasket says, it makes good sense.

Apologies.

No worries. TA salary doesn't matter, because we're all paid the same amount UC wide (union contracts), but the fellowships vary from 12-16k. Someone offered a lower amount might feel off if they found out who, if anyone, is receiving larger sums from grad div.

Anyways, as long as things remain fairly anonymous here, it's not a big deal. Most of your cohort won't even know this site exists.

• 2 weeks later...