SIPA (Columbia) Thread

just begun? I hope they start working before 10:40 am. When did the first batch come out yesterday - 10:00 am?

First batch came out at 1:00am yesterday. So of course, last night I stayed up till 1:30 hoping for a repeat - no beans.

UPDATE: As of 10:50 EST, results survey shows one international student accepted to the MPA program. I'm keeping my eyes peeled in case this is the start of the next batch.

Edited by hudwa

First batch came out at 1:00am yesterday. So of course, last night I stayed up till 1:30 hoping for a repeat - no beans.

UPDATE: As of 10:50 EST, results survey shows one international student accepted to the MPA program. I'm keeping my eyes peeled in case this is the start of the next batch.

Do we know if this student received the decision just now, or just posted it today?

Do we know if this student received the decision just now, or just posted it today?

It says accepted on March 15. Frankly, I can't help but obsess over one guy reporting his decision. This is my first choice school and I've been rejected and waitlisted by all the others.

It says accepted on March 15. Frankly, I can't help but obsess over one guy reporting his decision. This is my first choice school and I've been rejected and waitlisted by all the others.

Only school I applied to! I live and work in NYC so I'm trying to continue working part-time while in school, plus when I first learned of SIPA I knew it was what I wanted. So much negative talk about it on this forum, which I find funny.

As we wait for the results...may I ask why SIPA is such a hit with applicants...yet not in the MPA US NEws Rankings at all? Is there a separate ranking for MPA DP ....please share ur views....thanks in advance !

This was already discussed a few posts ago. Let me give you the short answer: US News ranking = astonishingly stupid, Foreign Policy magazine ranking = much more accurate. See post #414 of this thread for more details.

Only school I applied to! I live and work in NYC so I'm trying to continue working part-time while in school, plus when I first learned of SIPA I knew it was what I wanted. So much negative talk about it on this forum, which I find funny.

I find the SIPA hate interesting too. The apparent randomness of the admission decisions reflects the idea that each program values different applicant qualities. I think it makes sense that, in return, applicants value different things in MA programs.

In other news, I'm still pissed about being waitlisted at SAIS. I've got a spot at Tufts... anyone looking to swap?

Edited by Coloradical

I am choosing to believe the theory I read somewhere on gradcafe that people who haven't heard back yet are those being considered for $$$. Also, has anyone been able to verify that the responses really are based on when the applications were received? This was the only one I submitted way before the deadline (like 16 whole hours before), so I want to know now damnit!

Yeah, a previous poster said that he applied at the last minute and heard back in the first batch.

I'm inclined to the theory that applications fall in three groups: 60-65% easy yes or no decisions, 20-25% are on the fence and require more deliberations, and 10-15% are considered for funding which requires more meetings. I heard that these results are released in that order, as they are decided upon. This explains why nobody has been offered funding yet, and it makes sense that my application is a little controversial since my undergraduate transcript is a total disaster, but my work experience is quite good.

Someone mentioned yesterday that they submitted very close to the deadline but received a decision yesterday. So it appears that when you submitted your application has no bearing on when you receive a decision.

I'm also clinging to the hope that those who haven't heard back are being considered for $$$... based on reading survey responses from previous years, it does appear that SIPA provides your funding information when you receive a decision. Can anyone verify that this has been the case in years past?

My girlfriend was actually just up in the Columbia area for work, dropped by campus and took a few photos which she sent me on my phone, along with positive vibes for getting in. I should ask her to drop in on the admissions office and tell them to get it together!

Did some historical analysis. Here is the late, great Matt Clemons' (he's not actually dead, he's just head of admissions at HKS now) blog entries during decisions season 2011: http://blogs.cuit.columbia.edu/sipa/2011/03/

Seems that 65% of decisions were sent out in the first batch on Monday March 7, after which another 10% were released by March 14, and the rest were completed by March 21. That means they took two full weeks to roll out all of the decisions last year.

Guys, we may be in for a long, long wait.

More insight from Matt Clemons regarding how they review applications, which I refered to earlier, and which might help us understand why we haven't heard back yet: http://blogs.cuit.columbia.edu/sipa/2011/02/16/admission-decisions-piles-of-files/

"Pile #1 is representative of applications where there is unanimous agreement among Committee members. I would say that about 60-65% of applications fall into this group.

Pile #2 represents those where the reviewers of the file did not entirely agree and they have asked for additional review by a Senior Member of the Admissions Committee prior to making a final decision. Approximately 20-25% of applications fall into this category.

Pile #3 represents those who the readers believe should be considered for first year fellowship awards – approximately 15-20%. These files take longer to process because they have to go through additional rounds of meetings by the Fellowship Committee."

Now that I've nothing better to do but wait, I've been reading between the lines. Consider this random s#!t -

Check out their blog:

Waiting isn’t easy but sometimes “it’s” worth the wait.

Does anyone think "worth the wait" means late notifications are really worth the wait? Wait = funding?

Does anyone think "worth the wait" means late notifications are really worth the wait? Wait = funding?

That's what I thought lol... or at least wait=acceptance.... but it might be a cruel joke haha