Irrititational Fear #673

KreacherKeeper

69 members have voted

1. 1. I wake up worried about admits?

• Yep. who doesn't
    • No, I'm super cool!
    • Only on nights when I don't cry myself to sleep with worry.
  2. 2. My biggest fear of getting into grad school is...

• Cost....I need money
    • Moving....I will miss my cat
    • That I have been accidently accepted and they will laugh at me when I arrive
    • I may have to finally clean my dorm fridge after 4 years
    • I will be buried in debt and still end up working at a coffee shop
    • I may have to READ the books for class this time around
    • Fear, what fear, I'm super cool!
  3. 3. If I am rejected from grad school I will...

• Cry until I run out of money for rent and then go look for work
    • Try again, with schools with a better fit
    • Its ok, I was only trying to please my advisor
    • Who cares, I have a great job....
    • Sob into my cat and decide to be the crazy cat person
    • Apply for some less selective programs with later deadlines
    • Sue my last school for breach of contract... Where did my tuition money there go again?
    • Find a hole and bury myself....I am DEAD already

So, last night at 4:32 in the morning according to my alarm clock I woke up completely convinced that I had applied to school and SPELLED MY OWN NAME WRONG. Now, unfortunately, this is not completely without precedent. When I was in 9th grade, writing the PSAT I had to fill out those bubble things (I am old) carefully tracking down the alphabet to fill in the bubble letters representing my name. When I got it back, my family got a huge laugh at the girl who scored well, but couldn't get her name right!

So, like I said, 4:32 this morning I wake up convinced, I will never, ever, get into my first choice program, because I spelled my name wrong. So, I get out of bed, look up all my printed copies and spend the next hour and half looking for typos (and I found one or two questionable commas and an awkward sentence I would have changed now.

Is anyone else having panic moments during the wait game?

Edited by KreacherKeeper

I'm starting to send out emails requesting visits for my whirlwind tour of east coast schools, and I had a nightmare last night that I sent a template email with the wrong school title. As in, "Dear Columbia AdCom, I am excited about visiting NYU." I think my dream-self was calm, all things considered. I distinctly remember thinking that I could safely cross one school off my worry list.

I'm still worried about being an impostor. Everyone is going to laugh at me and my quaint ideas.

I think everyone in academia goes through this at some point - I know I have. You find yourself surrounded by all these brilliant people and wonder what could they ever want with or see in me?

I'm worried about failing out and having to move back home, to my tongue clucking mother who says I should've never moved away at all, didn't she tell me I don't do well away from family? (I moved out, but I'm only an hour away from my parents.)

I'm worried about quitting my very stable, unionized, good-for-my-age position at the government to chase a dream.

I'm worried about not making any friends in a city I've never been to before.

I'm worried that the other kids will think I'm stupid and shouldn't be there. And try to shove me into a locker.

I'm worried that the professors will be cold and think I have nothing to offer.

I'M WORRIED ABOUT NOT GETTING IN ANY WHERE AT ALL, MAKING ALL OF THE ABOVE MOOT.

I'm worried about failing out and having to move back home, to my tongue clucking mother who says I should've never moved away at all, didn't she tell me I don't do well away from family? (I moved out, but I'm only an hour away from my parents.)

I'm worried about quitting my very stable, unionized, good-for-my-age position at the government to chase a dream.

I'm worried about not making any friends in a city I've never been to before.

I'm worried that the other kids will think I'm stupid and shouldn't be there. And try to shove me into a locker.

I'm worried that the professors will be cold and think I have nothing to offer.

I'M WORRIED ABOUT NOT GETTING IN ANY WHERE AT ALL, MAKING ALL OF THE ABOVE MOOT.

I am so right with you, down to the 'what if they push me over on the first day and steal my supercool eco-friendly lunchbox' or worse, what if I am eating a packed lunch in my supercool lunch box that my Mom made me on the sofa of my childhood home because I can neither get a job or get into a grad program!