Funding Etiquette?

Liora

I just received full funding to one program and was wondering if I should alert the two other schools of this. I'm thinking about calling and anonymously asking someone in admissions what the procedure is for that sort of thing.

My gut feeling, however, is that it's totally not okay to do this. Though I've heard different opinions from various people.

Edited by Liora

I just received full funding to one program and was wondering if I should alert the two other schools of this. I'm thinking about calling and anonymously asking someone in admissions what the procedure is for that sort of thing.

My gut feeling, however, is that it's totally not okay to do this. Though I've heard different opinions from various people.

I wouldn't, especially if the funding isn't need based. It would seem like you are either bragging or think that you are so awesome that any program you would consider has to fully fund you.

I don't think there's any problem in letting schools know about other offers you have received. In fact, at the last program I visited, I was asked about offers I had received from other programs. When I responded that I had another acceptance with undetermined funding, I was explicitly asked to let them know when I find out what the other school decides to offer me, and they said they can reconsider their funding offer (which is already 5 years of full support) based on that. That said, however, I would not, under any circumstances, tell a school about another program's offer if that school has not already accepted you--that just seems tacky and presumptuous.

I don't think there's any problem in letting schools know about other offers you have received. In fact, at the last program I visited, I was asked about offers I had received from other programs. When I responded that I had another acceptance with undetermined funding, I was explicitly asked to let them know when I find out what the other school decides to offer me, and they said they can reconsider their funding offer (which is already 5 years of full support) based on that. That said, however, I would not, under any circumstances, tell a school about another program's offer if that school has not already accepted you--that just seems tacky and presumptuous.

I don't know about religion/theology programs, but from what I studied last year in philosophy PhD programs, the sentiments expressed in the quote here sound right. Programs will indeed be competitive with their funding for an applicant, to "reel them in" or whatever to their program. But I also think the cautionary notes in chaussettes quote here are helpful as well.

I don't know about religion/theology programs, but from what I studied last year in philosophy PhD programs, the sentiments expressed in the quote here sound right. Programs will indeed be competitive with their funding for an applicant, to "reel them in" or whatever to their program. But I also think the cautionary notes in chaussettes quote here are helpful as well.

The OP is posting about MA programs which are typically 1) unfunded/poorly funded by the program in theology and 2) much less selective but retain huge applicant pools. So any individual applicant is less meaningful to the program as they are taking courses not teaching or serving as a research assistant. No need to put a bad taste in anyone on the admissions committee's mouth by being presumptuous enough to ask MA programs to compete for you based on funding before they've even admitted you.

The OP is posting about MA programs which are typically 1) unfunded/poorly funded by the program in theology and 2) much less selective but retain huge applicant pools. So any individual applicant is less meaningful to the program as they are taking courses not teaching or serving as a research assistant.

Yup, this is crucial.

Edited by Phenomenologist

The OP is posting about MA programs which are typically 1) unfunded/poorly funded by the program in theology and 2) much less selective but retain huge applicant pools. So any individual applicant is less meaningful to the program as they are taking courses not teaching or serving as a research assistant. No need to put a bad taste in anyone on the admissions committee's mouth by being presumptuous enough to ask MA programs to compete for you based on funding before they've even admitted you.

I see what you mean. I definitely don't want to come off like an assuming prick.

Edited by Liora

Anecdote1: When I was applying to M.A. programs, I was accepted at three places. Two of them provided full tuition and a stipend, and the third had only tuition. The third one was out of the question for me because I wasn't going to forgo a stipend altogether. Of the other two, the one that I really wanted to accept offered me a lower stipend. I told that school about my better financial offer and they were able to raise the stipend that they offered me, so I went there. The stipend was still not as high as the other place I turned down, but I really wanted to be here and the stipend is significantly higher than the standard.

Anecdote 2: I am now applying to doctoral programs. Just this weekend I found out that I have been offered admission to a certain program with full tuition and a stipend. The director included in her e-mail a note saying that, if I have other offers I am considering, I can let her know about it and they will "see what they can do to sway my decision."

So based on my experience, I would say that you should let the other places know about your funding offer if it is at all their custom to give M.A. students some sort of financial package.

Edited by Philologus

Thanks! Isn't it strange to think that this time next month we'll probably know where we are headed? Or at least have a better idea...

Yeah, I'm hoping I'll know by this time next week where I'm going -- assuming Duke Div hands out scholarship information this week, as they told me they anticipated. If I get a good scholarship there, I'll almost certainly accept their offer.

Philologus, might you be willing to share the names of the programs that were willing to wiggle the stipends to be more competitive?

Gonna wiegh in on the OPs question based on what my advisers have told me and what my experience has been thus far.

I wouldn't notify programs that you haven't heard from that you have received funding offers. However, AFTER you get accepted to another program, if their funding package is not as nice, you shouldn't be afraid to ask if they can match another schools offer or improve theirs in any way. Of course, you must be professional and courteous, but PhD advisers and admissions programs know that we, as incoming PhDs, are not wealthy. Financing is much more of a consideration for PhDs in the humanities than it is in most of the sciences, and most programs will be sensitive to this fact.

Unless you come off as a pompous dick, they worst they are going to do is tell you that they have made you the best offer that they can afford.

my 2c.

Gonna wiegh in on the OPs question based on what my advisers have told me and what my experience has been thus far.

I wouldn't notify programs that you haven't heard from that you have received funding offers. However, AFTER you get accepted to another program, if their funding package is not as nice, you shouldn't be afraid to ask if they can match another schools offer or improve theirs in any way. Of course, you must be professional and courteous, but PhD advisers and admissions programs know that we, as incoming PhDs, are not wealthy. Financing is much more of a consideration for PhDs in the humanities than it is in most of the sciences, and most programs will be sensitive to this fact.

Unless you come off as a pompous dick, they worst they are going to do is tell you that they have made you the best offer that they can afford.

my 2c.

Please read the thread, or at least the OP. It's about MA programs which are a whole 'nother ball game from PhD applications.

Please read the thread, or at least the OP. It's about MA programs which are a whole 'nother ball game from PhD applications.

You're right. They are a "whole 'nother ball game," but the issue of funding is no different. In fact, my own experience indicates that programs tend to take students more seriously when they consider the financial aspects of their education. At my current institution, where I am finishing my M.A., I was required to have a financial meeting with the head of the program during my first quarter.

Programs want to know that you understand and respect the financial commitment that graduate education in the humanities represents. So, I will reiterate what I said previously:

There is nothing wrong with approaching programs that have already offered you admission to ask whether or not they can offer you a more competitive package. You must do so professionally, and it won't hurt to emphasize that your final consideration will not be made solely on the basis of finances (whether or not that is actually the case for you).

The only MA programs I applied to were funded.

Why would someone go to grad school in the humanities without funding??

Edited by Philologus

Okay, so problem number two is that YDS offers their scholarships (generally) simultaneously with their acceptance letters.

If I understand correctly what "problem" you're referring to, it's not a problem at all. Just because they give you a number doesn't mean it's set in stone--it just means that whatever they end up giving you, it can't be less than the amount specified in the letter. This ultimately works to your advantage. The schools that have asked me to keep them abreast of other funding offers have both offered me specific monetary amounts already but have said that those numbers can be negotiated if I get a more generous offer.

If I understand correctly what "problem" you're referring to, it's not a problem at all. Just because they give you a number doesn't mean it's set in stone--it just means that whatever they end up giving you, it can't be less than the amount specified in the letter. This ultimately works to your advantage. The schools that have asked me to keep them abreast of other funding offers have both offered me specific monetary amounts already but have said that those numbers can be negotiated if I get a more generous offer.

I suppose that makes sense. I was operating under the assumption that once the offers were out that funding would be difficult to change.