Can I quit my job yet?

littlered78

So I am decided on the school I'm going to in the fall, and I've been talking to the professor I'll be working with. Funding is set up, there is a spot for me, everything. The question is, do I tell my current job now, or do I wait (maybe as much as a month) for the official letter from the university? The sooner my job knows, the sooner they can start to look for a replacement, and so I feel like I want to give them as much notice as I can. But I feel nervous! I don't know how set in stone an unofficial offer is. My future advisor assures me that it is all set. But what do you guys think?

I think I would wait for the official letter, though you could let your employer know without making it 'official', so to speak. Why do you want to quit your job, anyway? I mean, what are you planning on doing between now and September? If you like your current job, I'd humbly suggest the possibility of staying on until, say, July. No harm in saving up as much as possible with the side-effect of being preoccupied with work.

I'm surprised there is such a large time difference between an acceptance e-mail and an "official" letter...I know for mine so far they've been hours up to a couple days apart. Has your school's graduate school officially approved your department's acceptance? Many departments' admits are provisional until approved by the Dean of Graduate Studies/provost/_____________ . Of course most get approved....any idea if this is the case with you?

I personally would not "burn any bridges" until you can verify that your acceptance if 100% official, just in case. Good luck!

Wait for the letter. They'll still have enough time to find a replacement if you let them know next month. Congrats! I'm in a similar situation myself and I don't plan on giving notice until I've gotten my offer and signed and accepted it.

I'm surprised there is such a large time difference between an acceptance e-mail and an "official" letter...I know for mine so far they've been hours up to a couple days apart. Has your school's graduate school officially approved your department's acceptance? Many departments' admits are provisional until approved by the Dean of Graduate Studies/provost/_____________ . Of course most get approved....any idea if this is the case with you?

I personally would not "burn any bridges" until you can verify that your acceptance if 100% official, just in case. Good luck!

I agree. It's not wholly official until you see an acceptance letter in writing from the Dean or the Admissions Department. A little extra work experience always helps and besides, those text books are expensive! Give it a few more weeks if you can :)

Wait for the letter. They'll still have enough time to find a replacement if you let them know next month. Congrats! I'm in a similar situation myself and I don't plan on giving notice until I've gotten my offer and signed and accepted it.

Ditto. I'm pretty sure that when (if) I quit, the grant paying for my job could fund 2 or 3 grad students. It kills me to know that I'm taking their opportunity, especially if they're going through the same agony I am. Still I would not mention that I was leaving until I had an official letter of offer of admission, which represents a binding contract, from my future school's graduate school.