Post-bac option

Frequent Flyer

hi all,

what are your thoughts on when you apply for MFA program (for me it was painting) and i was recommended to apply for the post-bac instead? they claim that only a "few" of the MFA applicants were encouraged to do so. Should I believe them or do they just tell everyone who applies to do that? also, any knowledge of funding opps for post-bac. This one is at SAIC. Anyone know anything about the post-bac at SAIC? I assume its intensive and you share space with grad students. all input welcome!

I got accepted into that also. Still a little unclear about it and the cost.

Are you coming out of a BFA program? When did you graduate from undergrad?

hi all,

what are your thoughts on when you apply for MFA program (for me it was painting) and i was recommended to apply for the post-bac instead? they claim that only a "few" of the MFA applicants were encouraged to do so. Should I believe them or do they just tell everyone who applies to do that? also, any knowledge of funding opps for post-bac. This one is at SAIC. Anyone know anything about the post-bac at SAIC? I assume its intensive and you share space with grad students. all input welcome!

last year, i applied for an MFA at SAIC and instead got accepted as a prior degree candidate for a second bachelors. i was also applying for painting. i only went for the fall semester because of the costs and the fact that i want an MFA. i can say 100% that the experience was completely worth it. SAIC is a really great school as long as you're motivated to take advantage of everything they offer. the community you'd be immersing yourself in is totally worth it. there post-bacc. students get their on studios over with the grad students and from what i saw of it, it seems like it would be really great for developing yourself as an artist. that said, it can be cost prohibitive because i'm not really sure how financial aid would work for that kind of program and if you intend on getting a Masters it might be more debt than you want. good luck!

hi all,

• 1 month later...

If you already have your bfa and intend on getting a masters I wouldn't do it.

The only time a bfa student should do a fine art post bac is if you studied painting the first time around and want to get a glass degree the second round.

I did a post bac at Columbia College in Chicago because I knew I wanted to get my mfa and had a business undergrad degree.

I didn't do it at SAIC because the cost was too high.

It sounds like they just want your money.

If you were accepted into another masters program I would nix the post bac.

My professors warned me about post-bacs before I started applying. They said it was often a way to bleed people for money. The school might get three years of tuition from you instead of two, and at very least one more source of money without crowding their MFA program further. It could make sense if you had a degree in a non-art area or similarly unusual undergraduate situation, but otherwise you're just paying a price as high as an MFA education without the degree to show for it.

NY Time article More Than a Bachelor, Less Than a Master cites Samuel Messer warning students to be wary of post-bacs:

"Samuel Messer, associate dean at the Yale University School of Art, one of the top art schools in the country, takes a cautious view of post-bac programs. Over all, he says, some “are quite good and set high standards, while others take more casual artists.” Yale does not offer a post-baccalaureate but has accepted post-bac participants in its M.F.A. program. Mr. Messer, however, expresses concern that many of these programs are simply “money-makers” for the schools, “a catchall for people who are afraid to be out of school and probably need to just be out in the world, gaining life experience.” "

If you are rolling in money and have plenty of time, it could be worth the boost. Then again, you could also boost your portfolio by working like crazy for a year before reapplication.

Edited by eleven

I was told it is a waste of time and money. If you're going for your masters, than GO FOR YOUR MASTERS. Post Bac is their way of telling you, you did not get selected into their MFA program....but they see potential in you.

thank you for your feedback... i am torn as iam an international student and i feel as if its a good way into american schools. i also only have 3 years of undergrad. it all comes down to how much money they can give me....

My professors warned me about post-bacs before I started applying. They said it was often a way to bleed people for money. The school might get three years of tuition from you instead of two, and at very least one more source of money without crowding their MFA program further. It could make sense if you had a degree in a non-art area or similarly unusual undergraduate situation, but otherwise you're just paying a price as high as an MFA education without the degree to show for it.

NY Time article More Than a Bachelor, Less Than a Master cites Samuel Messer warning students to be wary of post-bacs:

"Samuel Messer, associate dean at the Yale University School of Art, one of the top art schools in the country, takes a cautious view of post-bac programs. Over all, he says, some “are quite good and set high standards, while others take more casual artists.” Yale does not offer a post-baccalaureate but has accepted post-bac participants in its M.F.A. program. Mr. Messer, however, expresses concern that many of these programs are simply “money-makers” for the schools, “a catchall for people who are afraid to be out of school and probably need to just be out in the world, gaining life experience.” "

If you are rolling in money and have plenty of time, it could be worth the boost. Then again, you could also boost your portfolio by working like crazy for a year before reapplication.

• 6 years later...
  • 6 months later...

I was conflicted on getting a post bacc degree since I double majored in Creative Writing and Studio Art, only receiving a BA. I came from an  amazing undergraduate degree (private liberal arts) so my professors were very positive that I was ready for a masters, based on my work ethic, serious determination, and maturity as a student. I also took time between degrees to further push my portfolio on my own. I do not recommend the post bac degree to anyone who had a BA or BFA in studio arts, but I do for anyone who is unfamiliar with art history, got a different undergraduate degree, or is just considering one year to continue courses for personal enjoyment. You receive a lot of classes, a huge year of studying and practicing, and you could get super burned out. Halfway into my MFA degree I realized I wanted a break! MFA programs can take 3 years. Mine took 2.5. The potential you could create your portfolio by just spending some time, independently, focusing on your craft and becoming immersed in the art world-visiting museums, reading, and galleries, this is most important. Not spending 20k on something you don't need to prep for masters.

If you are on the west coast of US, or anywhere, I will say that our post bacc at my graduate school is amazing. They really show you what grad school will be like and what you want to do. They immerse you the POrtland, Oregon culture as well. Oregon College of Art and Craft. I would have done that if I had an infinite supply of wealth. http://ocac.edu