Interview for Grad School

slp2003

I was recently asked to interview at a prospective graduate school for a master's in speech language pathology. It is a school I would really like to attend, but I am very very very low on funds and the traveling costs of involved with driving halfway across the country will be REALLY stretching my wallet thin. What are people's thoughts on contacting the university and explaining my situation and seeing if a phone interview a possibility? Would anyone even ask? Or not bother and just go to the interview? Why or why not? Please respond. Thank you.

You should contact the department secretary / graduate admissions coordinator about it and explain your situation, mentioning that you are still very interested. I'm sure you won't be the first one, and they should be understanding. Best of luck!

I will actually be interviewing via video conference. if they are not open to this, i would not consider them. It would only show lack of consideration for the student and you don't want to deal with that for 2 years.

I agree that if the school won't do a phone or Skype interview and insists that you spend lots of money for an in-person interview, it shows a lack of compassion for students and it would probably be a sign of things to come if you attended school there.

One school wanted me to travel to the opposite coast of the US for an in-person interview. I told them I didn't think I could afford it, but I would try. They told me to please try, then I got back to them and said I just couldn't swing it, and now I have a phone interview scheduled.

• 11 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I know this is a little unrelated, but I was wondering if anyone had any general advice about interviewing for SLP programs. What kinds of questions are asked? Is it necessary to brush up on any academic topics? What is the appropriate attire (suit or clinic attire)?

Thank you in advance!

Do it at the comfort of Your home. Keep Talking points post its to the side of your computer...make sure your Internet connection is good...

Most importantly...cell ph off...no background distractions...no One interrupting you(if at home)

Don't be nervous....most of the interviews are casual talking....so relax..

I have a skype interview on Weds and I am VERY nervous about what to expect, where I should do the interview in my house, etc! Any sugggestions??

I chose to sit in the lab at school for my phone interviews because my roommates have a tendency to yell obscene things at random intervals. It depends entirely on your living situation and personal preferences. As long as you don't have something totally weird in the background, your home should be fine. :)