Miami University of Ohio

To the results board poster who inquired about my subfield and the notification timeline (I'm posting this here because I don't want to clog the results page with non-results information): I applied to the Literature MA program, my subfield is 20th Century American with a focus on post-WWII literature and culture, and I wasn't given any details about the notification timeline.

I actually got the phone call yesterday but missed it because I was at work, so I called them back this morning.

Good luck to any other Miami hopefuls out there; it really seems like a great program, and the funding offer is quite generous.

To the results board poster who inquired about my subfield and the notification timeline (I'm posting this here because I don't want to clog the results page with non-results information): I applied to the Literature MA program, my subfield is 20th Century American with a focus on post-WWII literature and culture, and I wasn't given any details about the notification timeline.

I actually got the phone call yesterday but missed it because I was at work, so I called them back this morning.

Good luck to any other Miami hopefuls out there; it really seems like a great program, and the funding offer is quite generous.

I was not the one who inquired, but thanks for the information. I am really really really hoping to get accepted here, it does seem like a great program. Congrats to you!

Thanks! And I hope you'll hear good news from them soon!

I was not the one who inquired, but thanks for the information. I am really really really hoping to get accepted here, it does seem like a great program. Congrats to you!

I mentioned this to some other members of the GradCafe community, but I finished my MA in Comp/Rhet at Miami last year and would be happy to entertain any questions about the program/town (though I may not be able to field too many Lit or CW-specific questions). It truly is a fantastic and inclusive place, the funding at the Master's level rivals many PhD packages, and the developmental opportunities are plenty. Best of luck to all.

Nothing- I'm also really eager to hear from them. Only one notification on the board right? I bet they are going to space it out over the next few days, since there wasn't a flood of them. Here's hopin!

Not sure if this helps or not, but I just called to ask about the time frame, and she said MA notifications take a while - she said they'd be notifying for the next two weeks.

Gahh I just want to get in somewhere!

Ugh, there's a bunch of waitlists posted and I didn't get one! Are they done making offers to admits? I've only seen one admit to the masters program...

I spoke too soon, I got an email last night. So that's great. Anyone thinking about turning MU down? YOU SHOULD ;)

I guess it's game over for me on this one :-/

I dunno, I thought the same thing this weekend and they said I'm high on the waitlist. I think that they are spreading them out, taking their time. So you might still be in the running. Good luck!

Just posted my Miami results, and in case they help anyone I'll reiterate here: they apparently only have enough funding for 3 lines and received 53 applications. I was told I was waitlisted, but not high enough up on the waitlist that I could count on getting an offer.

Just posted my Miami results, and in case they help anyone I'll reiterate here: they apparently only have enough funding for 3 lines and received 53 applications. I was told I was waitlisted, but not high enough up on the waitlist that I could count on getting an offer.

Do you know when and how they'll be starting to notify their decisions?

I also got an email about being on the waitlist. I'm pretty sure there is a prospective student weekend coming up next week, so some people might already know already. I don't know, however, if they are finished notifying acceptances yet.

I don't, unfortunately. I only found out about my waitlist status because I emailed the DGS, and she didn't say anything in the email to indicate if/when I would have been notified about my status if I hadn't sent an email.

The silly thing is that I was waitlisted so far down the list that she told me it was almost entirely unlikely I'd get the chance to be made an offer and closed the email with, "I wish you the best as you pursue other options." (No hope of getting in = rejection, in my mind, not waitlisted.) Luckily, I do have other options!

I don't, unfortunately. I only found out about my waitlist status because I emailed the DGS, and she didn't say anything in the email to indicate if/when I would have been notified about my status if I hadn't sent an email.

The silly thing is that I was waitlisted so far down the list that she told me it was almost entirely unlikely I'd get the chance to be made an offer and closed the email with, "I wish you the best as you pursue other options." (No hope of getting in = rejection, in my mind, not waitlisted.) Luckily, I do have other options!

That is really odd. I still have not heard from them, so I e-mailed to ask. Hopefully I get a reply soon. I am glad to hear that you have other options!

That is really odd. I still have not heard from them, so I e-mailed to ask. Hopefully I get a reply soon. I am glad to hear that you have other options!

I was told today in response to an e-mail inquiry that I "should hear something soon." So yeah... I am assuming I am rejected. While Miami U seems like a GREAT program, it does not heart so much since I now have other offers. Good luck to everyone, and congrats to those who were admitted!

I think three lines of funding is standard for MU. I did my MA there several years ago and my class had three Comp/Rhet and four Lit PhDs.

Edited by stillthisappeal

I think three lines of funding is standard for MU. I did my MA there several years ago and my class had three Comp/Rhet and four Lit PhDs.

This "3" indicates 3 lines for ALL programs, which is a decrease in their standard lines. As I understand, this shakes out to 1 incoming Lit PhD student and 2 Comp/Rhet PhD students. When I was admitted there for my MA, there were 4 new Comp/Rhet PhDs and 3 Lit. This total of 3 is a substantial decline.

I just got word that, even though I defered enrollment (accepted last year in their Comp/Rhet PhD with a full assistantship), I would not receive an assistantship for this cycle. Sort of bummed...

Eek. That is a notable decline, but not entirely unexpected. MU did not seem to be very wise with its money before the economic collapse. In the summer of 2008, they started construction on a multi-million dollar student center. Soon thereafter, they became one of the first universities to stage a hiring freeze for the 2008-2009 academic year.

That said, congratulations to those who got in. Miami still has a solid graduate program.

Anyone who was accepted into the MA program turning it down? I was told on the phone by the DGS that I'm very near the top of the waiting list for the MA in literature program and as this application season comes to a close it's looking like my only viable option. Plus, I really, really want to work with Mary Jean Corbett and Madelyn Detloff. :)

Anyone who was accepted into the MA program turning it down? I was told on the phone by the DGS that I'm very near the top of the waiting list for the MA in literature program and as this application season comes to a close it's looking like my only viable option. Plus, I really, really want to work with Mary Jean Corbett and Madelyn Detloff. :)

I'm second on the waitlist and the first person has been accepted according to the results page, so I'm assuming you're third. I was told in past years that the third person on the waitlist always gets in, at least in the past. I really like the program and am still considering it- but I have a very generous offer from a much highly ranked school that I'm also considering. Nothing is for certain, but I would assure you that you can keep hope that you will get in.

Thanks for your reply. Your info does replenish my hope a bit. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Congrats on being number 2! I hope that does mean I'm number 3. The DGS only told me I'm near the top when I asked over the phone and I didn't want to pry so I left it at that. But after seeing the one acceptance on the results board, I was wishing I had.

I'm second on the waitlist and the first person has been accepted according to the results page, so I'm assuming you're third. I was told in past years that the third person on the waitlist always gets in, at least in the past. I really like the program and am still considering it- but I have a very generous offer from a much highly ranked school that I'm also considering. Nothing is for certain, but I would assure you that you can keep hope that you will get in.

Edited by d1ff3r3nce

Thanks for you reply. Your info does replenish my hope a bit. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Congrats on being number 2! I hope that does mean I'm number 3. The DGS only told me I'm near the top when I asked over the phone and I didn't want to pry so I left it at that. But after seeing the one acceptance on the results board, I was wishing I had.

I should clarify since I made a typo. I was told that the SECOND person always gets in. BUT I still stand by my statement that this means that you'll get int, since I'm second and there's a good chance I'll be going to UW.

I just straight up asked where I was on the list. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, and she immidiately told me 'you are second.' I also asked about visiting and they were more than welcoming. So don't be shy! Show that you are very interested and it will be more likely that you will get in I think. I made sure to show I was interested, and if they are one of your top choices, you should tell them so. I don't think Miami is the kind of place that will switch around their waitlist just because you visited, however. But I think showing your very real enthusiasm about the program is better than being silent. Maybe send an email asking about the position on the list, saying you would like to weigh your options realistically. Good luck!