How unconventional is too much??

Hello!

I have two more apps due April 1 (seriously who does that), both for American Studies. One is my first choice. My interest in American Studies is Hip-Hop and specifically its relation to American youth and morality.

Here's the thing. For my other apps (different programs) I used a Nietzsche quote but here it doesn't fit. Since I am primarily interested in hip-hop and these are MA programs I want to use a rap lyric that is relevant to my purpose. It's not profane or anything and its a rapper with some credibility. Is this a terrible idea?

Why not? Provided it's not too long, and it serves to introduce your discussion in a meaningful and interesting way, I think it would catch attention positively.

Then again, Female Science Professor had a "bad SOP contest" and I seem to remember that a good number of them quoted "Blowin' in the Wind." You want to make sure that the quote is really germane to your objectives.

I think this could work pretty well, especially if you avoid putting it as a hook. I'm thinking something along the lines of "As revealed in raps by So-and-so, '

,' discussions of youth and morality have [verb]ed into this thing I want to study." If you treat the SOP as a mini-prospectus for a thesis (along with some other stuff about how great Professors X and Y fit your interests), then such things happen naturally. Ask a former professor if the SOP seems to convey your voice. Good luck!

Also, yeah, who the heck does put their deadlines so late?