University of Miami (Florida)

sashi

Hi. Any new grad student moving to the UMiami this fall 2011? I am pretty sure I will be studying at UM. Lets connect to discuss further about accommodation , travel and student life. Keep posted

Won't be here for grad school but I'm a current student. Let me know if you have any questions and I can try and help!

Thanks for that. What is the average monthly expenditure for a grad student in Miami?

@ Kathiza

Congratulations on your admissions at UM. Is your funding decision done?

Yes and no. I got a tuition waiver for the whole duration of the program and I got other funding for the first year. But no TA/RA. I can apply for those during my first year.

Yes and no. I got a tuition waiver for the whole duration of the program and I got other funding for the first year. But no TA/RA. I can apply for those during my first year.

That is great. I am sure you will be able to find TA/RA first year. I am still waiting for funding decisions and hopefully I will hear from them later next week. My certificate of admission did not mention anything about funding and I was like: "oh ok now I got to spend three more weeks palpitating" :)

• 3 weeks later...

i just sent in my paperwork confirming my acceptance. i've started informally digging around. i haven't found much, but here's all i have so far:

1) the best places to look (closest to campus, safe area) are Coral Gables and South Miami. apparently, if you can't find anything in those areas, the next best is Kendall.

2) Here is UM's off-campus housing site. on the right is a roommate finder (not many people on here, though, and they're mostly all undergrads) and a link to apartment listings.

3) Here are Craig's List Miami housing listings. there are tabs at the top that let you choose "Miami/Dade."

4) i've casually browsed the listings and made a couple phone calls. prices i've seen have ranged from $350 - $900/month (per person). some of these prices include all utilities, others include 1-2 utilities, and some include 0 utilities. in terms of living space, there are a lot of studios and rooms in houses. in some places, you'll be rooming with students (not necessarily UM students, though); in others, you'll be staying with a family or just 1-3 other people (non-students).

that's as far as i've gotten so far. i'm going to wait a couple more weeks before getting more assertive, but i plan on calling the Department of Residence Halls (305-284-4505) since they say on the site that they will help you find off-campus housing.

Hey, I was accepted just last week!

I'm in the same boat as all of you! What departments are you all in? I'll be joining RSMAS on Key Biscayne.

I've been browsing housing and it seems to be that in order to have a nice place, you'll need a roommate and probably spend $600-800 on rent.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I just accepted my offer at UMiami and am now starting to look for housing. Unfortunately, the UM Housing websites just give me error messages (I don't know if it's because of the high demand or if it's an issue on my side - I tried on two computers with two different browsers, nothing worked).

I was wondering if any of you would like to team up for housing search? I am an international student so I can't visit any places... Therefore it would be great to team up with a roommate who probably already is in the area. Is anyone interested?

I'm looking for a place really close to campus (or within walking distance to public transport that takes me to campus). I won't have a car. I would like to not pay more than 600/month including everything. Preferably cheaper. I don't know if this is realistic.

Kathiza, from what I can tell you could probably find something for that amount. Me and a friend are looking for a place together, and we might need a third person. We should keep in touch about housing and stuff.

Where are you from? I'm living in Hamburg, Germany but I'm from Vancouver, Canada.

Hi everyone,

I just accepted my offer at UMiami and am now starting to look for housing. Unfortunately, the UM Housing websites just give me error messages (I don't know if it's because of the high demand or if it's an issue on my side - I tried on two computers with two different browsers, nothing worked).

I was wondering if any of you would like to team up for housing search? I am an international student so I can't visit any places... Therefore it would be great to team up with a roommate who probably already is in the area. Is anyone interested?

I'm looking for a place really close to campus (or within walking distance to public transport that takes me to campus). I won't have a car. I would like to not pay more than 600/month including everything. Preferably cheaper. I don't know if this is realistic.

Wow, that would be great! I'm from Vienna, Austria. When do you want to move in? Will you be moving in June/July already or in August? I'm planning on moving in early August, but I guess I can be flexible...

Wow, that would be great! I'm from Vienna, Austria. When do you want to move in? Will you be moving in June/July already or in August? I'm planning on moving in early August, but I guess I can be flexible...

Ich werde am Ende Juni umziehen. Mein neuer Chef will mich fruher ankommen, weil das erstes Jahr in Grad School in Biologie fast nur für Studieren ist. Jedoch kommt meine Freundin von mir in August nach Miami an. Im Moment fand ich ein Zimmer für Juli. Vielleicht kann ich diese Wohnung (und die zwei andere Zimmer der Wohnung) bekommen. Nun weiss ich nicht, ob ich die Wohnung im August bekommen werde. Hoffentlich ich kann :)

Your German is almost flawless, I'm really impressed!

It would be great if you'd think of me when there's a room available in your apartment. I'll PM you my e-mail address and a little bit about me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Any new grad student moving to the UMiami this fall 2011? I am pretty sure I will be studying at UM. Lets connect to discuss further about accommodation , travel and student life. Keep posted

Hi, even I'm joining UM this fall2011. You can mail me or add me on gtalk, my id: rajaramanin@gmail.com

Still looking for housing... How are you guys doing? I think it's probably too early to look for housing (many landlords want to rent the place within 30 days). Where do you look? Do you think a budget of 600 USD is realistic for a place within walking distance of campus? (just for a room in a house/apartment - I don't need my own place)

Still looking for housing... How are you guys doing? I think it's probably too early to look for housing (many landlords want to rent the place within 30 days). Where do you look? Do you think a budget of 600 USD is realistic for a place within walking distance of campus? (just for a room in a house/apartment - I don't need my own place)

i'm all set for housing. are you on UM Housing Dept.'s Roommate Finder yet? that's how i hooked up with my roommate/found a place.

Hi,all. Anyone looking for a roomate? I'm going to UM to study Multimedia Journalism. It's a master program, so i will be there for like 2 years or so.

I am not planning to own a car, so the closer the campus the better. I would love to pay for like $500-$700 a month. Plus, i'm an international student, so i won't be able to visit the house in advance.

Any suggestion on the house hunting or roomate finder ?

Many thanks!

Hi quinchen!

I'm in the exact same situation. I'm an international student at the School of Communication at UMiami beginning this fall. I'd say let's team up, but then neither of us could look at places... I already contacted several people on the UMiami roommate finder and on craigslist, but it's difficult since I won't be able to move until August...

But I'd suggest lets stay in touch. Not only do we start at the same school, we also are both international and might have to face the same problems. So if I find something where there's another spare room (I was in contact with a girl who wanted to rent a house with six rooms and was looking for roommates - but then she just stopped answering me unfortunately....) ---- I will definitely let you know and I'd be happy if you do the same.

I also have the same price range... But since I already looked through a lot of ads I'm gonna tell you: It's going to be difficult to find a place for us close to campus for that amount :-(

@ Kathiza

I agree that we should keep in touch. The house price in Miami is kinda expensive.

I think the best place to look at is South Miami and Coral Gables, since they are closer to the campus.

I find that Red Road Commons is closer, but the price is high as well.

Finding a house and roomates is a time consuming work, especially you are far across the ocean.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody...

Did you hear at all from UMiami after accepting their offer? I haven't heard a word since April so I'm getting a bit nervous. Do you know if there is anything we're supposed to do prior to our arrival? (Course registrations, contact potential advisers etc.) I have absolutely no idea and to be honest I feel a little left alone.

Also I'm having trouble with wire-transferring my tuition deposit. The first wire transfer simply got sent back by the U.S. bank and the second has been on its way for over three weeks now, I don't know if it's been accepted or not. If you're an international student: How did you transfer the tuition deposit? Since I'm not in the U.S., I guess there is no other alternative than wire transfer, but the U.S. bank doesn't seem to like that....

@kathiza

I have spoke with the Graduate assistant and my advisor after i accept my offer.

But i think UM really have to work on their efficiency.

My wire transfer was a nightmare, it delayed over a month, which i don't know exactly why.

The Bank of America has already recived it. So i guess something went wrong when it reach to UM.

I feel like UM is a bit cold and far away. They don't do update or notice. It's kinda worry, considering i am far far away from there.

I Hope that will help!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Quinchen...

Same here... I still haven't heard from them and it's only six more weeks until I'll arrive and classes start. I have no clue about orientation, registration, advisers, about my first steps once I arrive at Miami...

I will send another e-mail today asking some questions (where to get UM ID, whom to contact for a SSN, what about orientation etc.)

Let's stay in touch... Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am also an international student, going to same univ so same prob. I have been searching for rooms, roommates (which i kind of find one before but because he ditched me, I have to find one again).

About the SSN, you have wait 10 days after your arrival and then you got to apply for it and then it will take around a week or two. You might have got guidelines for what to do after arrival (Bio dept. sent me one!)

Plus if any of you is reaching there on 2nd, then we can book hotels together and search for room. There are cheap rooms, in south miami, coral way, and places near but only we have to search. I can share data what I have got if anyone wants, like agents' num. hotels cheapest and nearest. ect.

Piyush