News from NYU Wagner MPA?

I also got accepted, but without funding. I have some other offers that I'm seriously considering, but I was wondering if those who find Wagner particularly appealing could explain to me why they like it over other programs.

I'm just looking for some insight... thanks in advance!

I've visited the campus several times and attended an information session and found the program to be pretty solid. There doesn't seem to be the level of group cohesion that you'd find among cohorts at smaller programs and the city, for me, is definitely a distraction. I believe the program to be a better fit for people actually interested in public administration and less a fit for those more interested in policy analysis or research. So, if you're interested in management positions at a non-profit or public agency then this is an awesome program. Otherwise, give greater consideration to your other programs before committing to two years of abject poverty. NYC isn't as fun without a discretionary budget.

Uy.. No funding. Although I've realized the part-time option may not be a bad idea. Might be able to ease off the overall cost.

How do these financial aid packages work. Would there be a possibility for grants???

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I had basically already concluded what you said. I was able to craft a sample curriculum that followed a solid international policy analysis track, but it wasn't easy. I do feel that Georgetown or GW would be better for this (or SIPA, though I'm yet to hear). Thanks again for your thoughts!

I've visited the campus several times and attended an information session and found the program to be pretty solid. There doesn't seem to be the level of group cohesion that you'd find among cohorts at smaller programs and the city, for me, is definitely a distraction. I believe the program to be a better fit for people actually interested in public administration and less a fit for those more interested in policy analysis or research. So, if you're interested in management positions at a non-profit or public agency then this is an awesome program. Otherwise, give greater consideration to your other programs before committing to two years of abject poverty. NYC isn't as fun without a discretionary budget.

What a great scholarship! I am a finalist for Bohnett, and only received 4 credits/semester as an alternative. I wonder if I should go back and negotiate if Bohnett doesn't come through?

Just got an acceptance email today! I was awarded 12 credits/semester, and the professional experience req has been waived. Good luck everyone!

Hey Angeleno

When did they tell you about Bohnett?! I'm waiting to hear about another scholarship ..

What a great scholarship! I am a finalist for Bohnett, and only received 4 credits/semester as an alternative. I wonder if I should go back and negotiate if Bohnett doesn't come through?

I interviewed as a semi-finalist on Feb 22 and was invited on March 11 for the finalist interview in NYC on March 25

Hey Angeleno

When did they tell you about Bohnett?! I'm waiting to hear about another scholarship ..

Thanks ! I guess they don't all follow the same process :( I got an email end of Feb saying they would announce semi-finalists in mid-March

I interviewed as a semi-finalist on Feb 22 and was invited on March 11 for the finalist interview in NYC on March 25

Yes, this would be super helpful for me as well, as I have not received any funding and cost of attendance is 60K.. is it worth it?

Thanks!

Hi guys,

Could anybody share their thoughts on why would they choose Wagner's MPA over the other programs that they have been accepted to? What do you consider the main strengths of Wagner's MPA?

Thanks!

Yes, this would be super helpful for me as well, as I have not received any funding and cost of attendance is 60K.. is it worth it?

Thanks!

I think the cost of attendance is higher... The tuition is about 60,000 (almost 1000 per credit and you have to take 60 to complete the program) and I believe one would need at least 9,000 per semester to cover living costs, right?

hi

maybe its the wrong thread to ask this question ....

Im an international student and have been admitted to cornell (20000$ funding /year) and NYU (4 credits /year)

don really know what to choose???

cornell (total fee would be around 80000$ and NYU (60000$)

any suggestions????

Hey CC139:

Its about 60K per year for cost of attendance, 120K total for a two year program, only im not getting a JD or MD! This is all according to their estimations.

Sigh.. we'll see when I visit. I think Im leaning towards JHU if GWU doesn't work out.

I think the cost of attendance is higher... The tuition is about 60,000 (almost 1000 per credit and you have to take 60 to complete the program) and I believe one would need at least 9,000 per semester to cover living costs, right?

Hey CC139:

Its about 60K per year for cost of attendance, 120K total for a two year program, only im not getting a JD or MD! This is all according to their estimations.

Sigh.. we'll see when I visit. I think Im leaning towards JHU if GWU doesn't work out.

Thanks for the info, Ched. $120,000 seems unviable for me, so I guess I'll be declining my offer soon.

Thanks for the info, Ched. $120,000 seems unviable for me, so I guess I'll be declining my offer soon.

even if you had the 120K available, i would still say that it does not worth it...maybe have more working experience and this helps not only save more, also better chance to get better offer/scholarship and save even more. --just my personal experience and thoughts.

I think they are saying that if I was not offered funding and have 120K on hand, its not worth it. I'm still going to check out the orientation and ask around. Maybe some students have been able to make it happen.

NYU MPA vs. USC MPP???

I've got the admission about Mar, 9 and got no $$$$, also was asked to fulfill the PER.

I'm a international student without work experience(not including 4 months internship). I got the MPA in health management. I was wondering how tough the course will be for me cuz english is not my first language and i have no work experience.

I also got the USC MPP and the gave me 17,000 per year.

Actually I was not expecting the NYU admission and I am more interested in policy analysis. If NYU costs 120K to get a degree that will be too expensive..

I hope to get employed in US after accomplishing my master to earn my tuition back. Is it very hard for an international student to get a job in US? What kind of job can they get?

Thanks!!

Hi all...

Pretty strange news from my end !!!

I received an email from W[agner admissions saying that I might have already been informed about mmy admission to Robert F wagner school and thatthe email is about the studenta ctivity happeneing onthe 31st march and 1st of april.

While i had no idea abt my admission status, as i received no email or Postal mail...i havnt yet !

Now guys,I am big time confused....HAVE I ALREADY BEEN OFFERED AN ADMISSION??????????

What do you people think !!!!!!!!!

quote name='shosakurai' timestamp='1301153038' post='232269']

NYU MPA vs. USC MPP???

I've got the admission about Mar, 9 and got no $, also was asked to fulfill the PER.

I'm a international student without work experience(not including 4 months internship). I got the MPA in health management. I was wondering how tough the course will be for me cuz english is not my first language and i have no work experience.

I also got the USC MPP and the gave me 17,000 per year.

Actually I was not expecting the NYU admission and I am more interested in policy analysis. If NYU costs 120K to get a degree that will be too expensive..

I hope to get employed in US after accomplishing my master to earn my tuition back. Is it very hard for an international student to get a job in US? What kind of job can they get?

Thanks!!

Hi all...

Pretty strange news from my end !!!

I received an email from W[agner admissions saying that I might have already been informed about mmy admission to Robert F wagner school and thatthe email is about the studenta ctivity happeneing onthe 31st march and 1st of april.

While i had no idea abt my admission status, as i received no email or Postal mail...i havnt yet !

Now guys,I am big time confused....HAVE I ALREADY BEEN OFFERED AN ADMISSION??????????

What do you people think !!!!!!!!!

Guys admitted to Wagner, have you been receiving emails from faculty? I have received a couple of them but I don't know if I should reply or what to say

Same thing here, I have been receiving couple of emails from the Faculty and I have not replied either as I have no idea what to reply. Are you planning on attending the program?