Contact or NOT to contact?

EggsAndBacon

What do people think about sending emails or phone calls to graduate departments asking when they think decision will be mailed out?

I feel like they wont like people asking, but then on the other hand what else do you do?

I'm waiting on NYU Computer Science PhD...

I'm waiting for a NYU decision as well... But I've been interviewed, so I guess it's not exactly the same situation. Still, I don't think contacting the department is going to make such a difference. If you're accepted, they're not going to cancel your acceptance just because of a phone call, right?

Good luck!

Isn't NYU slower in general across almost every department?

I actually just contacted another school because I was desperate. They said 4-8 weeks, and it's the 9th week, so yeah.

I would not call to check and see for a few reasons:

1) Most likely the person you talk to has no idea when the decisions will be mailed out.

2) Even if the person you talk to has some idea, your specific decision may not correspond to that idea

3) The department probably gets inundated with semi-psychotic slavering grad students calling to check and see.

The decision will come when it comes. Take a deep breath, relax, and think Zen.

ok. I suppose I agree. I guess I just needed to hear that from someone else.

I met with a professor in November who was excited to work with me and recommended that I apply. I got in touch with him in December when I mailed the application and he seemed happy. I haven't been in touch since because I don't want to pester him. I'm thinking (hoping) that I didn't get asked for an interview since I've technically already had one.

It's good to hear that NYU is slow in general... It makes me feel a little more at ease.

I would not call to check and see for a few reasons:

1) Most likely the person you talk to has no idea when the decisions will be mailed out.

2) Even if the person you talk to has some idea, your specific decision may not correspond to that idea

3) The department probably gets inundated with semi-psychotic slavering grad students calling to check and see.

The decision will come when it comes. Take a deep breath, relax, and think Zen.