Declining an acceptance offer hurt chances to re-apply?

anom217

I just found out I got into my first choice grad school (CMU, which I wasn't sure I'd be able to get into). But since applying, I've been thinking it might be better to wait a year so I can save up some more money before going. I also like where I work and think I can still learn a lot.

If I declined admission, will it hurt my chances if I apply again next year? Especially for a school I don't think was a sure thing getting into in the first place? My main reason would be to have more money in the bank so I don't inundate myself in loans.

I suggest you ask if you can defer your admission for one year based on financial reasons...let them know you are still very interested in the course but would rather earn some more money before commencing so that you can focus on your work when you do start rather than stressing out about money issues.

A friend of mine did this for exactly the same reason and the university (Purdue) allowed him to defer.

In my opinion, this is a very reasonable request especially if your offer is not funded and the university will almost surely allow you to do it.

• 3 weeks later...

I just found out I got into my first choice grad school (CMU, which I wasn't sure I'd be able to get into). But since applying, I've been thinking it might be better to wait a year so I can save up some more money before going. I also like where I work and think I can still learn a lot.

If I declined admission, will it hurt my chances if I apply again next year? Especially for a school I don't think was a sure thing getting into in the first place? My main reason would be to have more money in the bank so I don't inundate myself in loans.

Actually, a deferring is perhaps the best move. Talk to your letter writers and other trusted faculty first. Some programs won't accept deferrals, but if you explain to them why you need to defer, then they are more willing to give you a shot the second time around. I asked for a deferral for a philosophy PhD program last year, due to a medical issue; the department denied the deferral, but wait-listed me after my application this year.

Moral of the story: if you're honest with faculty at your home institution and CMU, then things will probably turn out for the best. I almost lost a good faculty friend because of my lack of informing him about my decision to ask for a deferral and then reject the school's offer. (The offer also came on May 5th, three weeks after the deadline for philosophy.)

I love that the OP started this thread. I am in the exact same position. I was offered admission to dream school, but there's no way I can handle the debt/tuition. After thinking about it, I decided I would like to reapply, but a deferral sounds better. Do students do this often? I am still going to visit at their reception as I would like to check it out. Does anyone have any advice or insight on what chances of deferral are? Thanks.

I am not really sure if you guys are talking about deferring a funded offer or an unfunded offer. If it is funded, chances are that deferring will not guarantee a matching funding offer (if any funding offer at all) for the next year. If it is unfunded, there is nothing to lose, of course.

And regarding the actual topic: yes, rejecting an offer and applying again will most likely hurt your chances. They might think that you rejected them because you wanted to apply to a better school next year and decided to use them as safety...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use