Still waiting?

cschwartz

So if I haven't heard anything by now from my schools is it assumed to be bad news? I mean do acceptance letters usually go out early and rejection letters later? I want to be hopeful that I might still get in, but I guess I don't want to be delusional about it.

It really depends on the departments. Some departments do send out admits early and then rejections sometime after that, while others send out all decisions at the same time. Some departments in some fields haven't even decided yet so it really depends on the department and school. Plus there's always the possibility that you've been unofficially waitlisted and they're just waiting to see how many accept from the first round of admits before they notify you. Waiting is terrible, but hang in there. All the best.

So if I haven't heard anything by now from my schools is it assumed to be bad news? I mean do acceptance letters usually go out early and rejection letters later? I want to be hopeful that I might still get in, but I guess I don't want to be delusional about it.

I got my rejection letter early on. (mid Feb). I got an acceptance this week. I think that if you're rejected flat-out, you'd have heard by now. I'm guessing that you're still in a good position. It seems like its still pretty early for decisions to be made. I also found out that notice of acceptance can be delayed while department committees wait to hear back on results of university-wide fellowship nominations. They only nominate you if your are an excellent candidate, but they still might not notify you until they hear back from the fellowship committee.

You're not in Canada, are you? I haven't heard from any of my schools either because they're making decisions mid to late March. Heard it can take to early April.

If you're located elsewhere, hear this: it's not over, until it's over, till the fat lady sings a rejection letter. Hang in there! :)