Linguistic Anthropology Without a Foreign Language?

biggspc

5 members have voted

1. 1. Pursuing an advanced degree in linguistic anthropology without being bilingual. Is this ok?

Hi all. I absolutely adore linguistic anthropology, but seem to be unable to learn any foreign languages of my own. I've been diagnosed with poor audio discrimination. I actually had to file a petition to get my language requirement waived at my undergrad. I want to learn a second language, its just going to take a LONG time. Is it advisable or even possible to get an advanced degree in linguistic anthropology without being even bilingual?

Edited by biggspc

An important thing to consider here is there is a difference between *learning about* a language and *learning* a language. Just as you seem to be a competent speaker of the English language, this does not guarantee you can describe every aspect of its functioning or regurgitate every rule. At the same time, plenty of people around the world study scores of languages, and can tell you all about their inner-workings, but have no communicative competence in these systems.

There are handfuls of Linguistic anthropologists who study certain aspects of foreign languages but develop little competence in their usage. Think about those who do comparative research; it would be quite taxing to have to learn 100 languages in order to describe a certain language family. Nevertheless, in a graduate program, it is a safe bet you will have to become familiar with at least some aspects of foreign communication, to some degree.

This does not mean, however, that linguistic research on English is out of the question. After all, you are an expert! This gives you the kind of insight some people dream of.

What I would recommend, having studied language acquisition/teaching, is to take your time with learning a second language. Quality is much more important than quantity. Keep it simple. Start from there. What good is the plu-perfect form or the passive voice if you can never use them?? Remember humans created language to communicate!

Adios!

Hi all. I absolutely adore linguistic anthropology, but seem to be unable to learn any foreign languages of my own. I've been diagnosed with poor audio discrimination. I actually had to file a petition to get my language requirement waived at my undergrad. I want to learn a second language, its just going to take a LONG time. Is it advisable or even possible to get an advanced degree in linguistic anthropology without being even bilingual?

To the OP: have you considered sign language research? I sort of fell into it a few years ago, but I love it! I don't have the best auditory discrimination skills myself, and I've found that it's much easier for me to learn sign languages than spoken languages. I wouldn't label myself fully bilingual or fluent, but my proficiency in ASL is such that I can hold my own in most social/educational situations. Just a thought :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Linguistic anthropology is not necessarily about beng bilingual. There are many ways to study language and languages. I'd say go for it. You will probably have to learn some other language anyway, but you don't need to be fluent at it as long as you can get the basics. You can also learn it purely from a written form, I'd guess, since it wouldn't be a regular undergrad language class with speaking etc.