college senior looking at ph.d statistics programs late

Current senior at HYP (Harvard, Yale, or Princeton).

GPA: 3.50/4.00

Major GPA: 3.63/4.00

Math and stat courses taken:

Freshman year, I took the honors sequence:

Honors linear algebra and real analysis I: B+

Honors linear algebra and real analysis II (it's an integrated course): C+

I really don't know how I did so badly in that class.

Sophomore year:

Functional analysis and optimization theory: A

Non-Euclidean geometry: A-

Probability theory: A

Graph theory and Combinatorics: A

Differential Equations: A-

Junior year:

Probability theory (graduate course): B+

Abstract Algebra I: A-

Complex Analysis: A-

Stochastic Processes: A-

Algebraic Combinatorics (junior tutorial): B+

Senior year:

Graduate Real Analysis: A

Statistical Inference: Currently taking.

Introduction to computer science and programming: Currently taking.

Writing an Honors thesis on a way to estimate Markov chain mixing times using the logarithmic sobolev inequalities.

I have TAed functional analysis, participated in an REU on graph theory my freshman summer, and this summer I will be doing statistical research in Hong Kong through the UCLA-RIPS program.

I can get very good recommendation letters from two or three professors.

In summary, even though I'm majoring in math, I have a heavy leaning toward statistics. I have liked all my statistics classes a lot more than my math classes.

What are my chances of getting into a good stat ph.D program? I'm currently looking at UToronto, UBC, Stanford, Cambridge, Oxford, Harvard, UCSB, and University of Auckland. I'm going to apply next year (as you can see I have a leaning toward statistics). Are my grades good enough to bother try? How badly will my C+ affect me? I'm really ****ed off about that grade because it brings down my GPA too and it's an important class, I think. Should I retake it? Or couldn't I do that during graduate school.

Also does the program's name brand have an effect in any way? In other wards, will I be at an advantage looking for jobs with a Ph.D from Harvard as compared to UCSB?

And at the moment it looks like I have nothing lined up after my summer in Hong Kong and it's too late for me to apply to statistics graduate programs for next year. What should I do?

Lastly, I don't know where I stand compared to other applicants.

Thanks!

Edited by xiaoxin

I wouldn't worry too much if I were you; in fact, I think many people here would be envious of your profile. (I know I am!) With your pedigree, research experience, and work experience, I think many top schools would be interested in you. What should matter more is your recent grades. If need be, you can briefly explain the C+ you got freshman year. I didn't go to Harvard, but I know people who did, and I've heard the nightmare stories about the intro honors Analysis classes, perhaps being used as "weed-out" courses for the faint of heart.

Basically, what you should do is 1) make sure you nail the GRE and the subject exam, and 2) apply to as many top programs as you can. In all probability wink.gif you should get admitted to at least one.

Also, it would be good for you to hear the opinions of people here who actually *have* been admitted to top programs. My data, though, come from the following sources:

http://www.mathematicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=357&sid=c0b158bcc59f21131b0bac4c8dc0f9a1

http://www.mathematicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=495&sid=c0b158bcc59f21131b0bac4c8dc0f9a1

Basically, you should take a look at the profiles of students there who got into top schools and compare them to yours.

Edited by coffeeintotheorems

Yep, I second everything coffeeintotheorems said. You're in wonderful shape. Study your ass off for the general and the math GREs and nail both of them. And apply to all the top programs.

And find something good to do during your year off (in addition to studying for the GREs and filling out all your applications). Maybe look for internships. Or you might be able to find a one-year Master's program or something.

Good luck.

Yep, I second everything coffeeintotheorems said. You're in wonderful shape. Study your ass off for the general and the math GREs and nail both of them. And apply to all the top programs.

And find something good to do during your year off (in addition to studying for the GREs and filling out all your applications). Maybe look for internships. Or you might be able to find a one-year Master's program or something.

Good luck.

well i have a different opinion on your situtation. It seems like you haven't taken enough statistics courses, that might make it a little difficult to explain why you want a doctorate in the subject. Which fields are you looking at? Applied theoritical and in what area. As to some of your programs, Toronto very rarely takes students who have not completed a masters degree, and they quite an extensive list of pre requisites and from the look of it they are asking for more statistics courses than you seem to have you might want to contact them about this. AS for oxford they usually also require a Masters before a Phd, and most of the department has a very applied focus. Only Stanford and Uchicago really require a Math subject GRE so i dont know if it is worth it to take. better to help out on a research project and try to get some great recommendations from some statisticians who can comment on your research skills. So in total you have a good math background you might need to shore it up with some statistics classes, and narrow down your research interests

• 4 months later...

sorry to bring up an ages old thread again.

do my grades hurt or help my application though? It would suck if they kept me from top 5 schools. Real analysis is of TREMENDOUS important to stat phd programs and that is the class I messed up badly. Then again I got an A in graduate analysis so I don't know if that makes up for doing badly in the UG version.

Thinking about RAing for a year. How does that sound?

Edited by xiaoxin

sorry to bring up an ages old thread again.

do my grades hurt or help my application though? It would suck if they kept me from top 5 schools. Real analysis is of TREMENDOUS important to stat phd programs and that is the class I messed up badly. Then again I got an A in graduate analysis so I don't know if that makes up for doing badly in the UG version.

Thinking about RAing for a year. How does that sound?

Okay, anyone?

Ahh, the pervasive sound of desperate people demanding answers on the internet.

Getting one C freshman year is not going to wreck your life, mate, especially not if you have an A in graduate analysis to balance that out. If you keep obsessing over this, then you're only going to be fighting against yourself and wearing yourself out. If you really can't let go of this, then no amount of encouragement here is going to change that, and you should seriously consider therapy, anti-anxiety meds, amphetamines, etc. (That is not sarcasm--I mean it.)

I would kill to have HYP on my record; as such, you will get no sympathy from me. Your pedigree has opened doors for you and linked you into a network of powerful academic and professional resources that are yours for the taking if you can stop being so fearful.

For what it's worth, I had a friend who did his undergrad at Harvard. He doubled-majored in applied math and economics, and got many Bs and even a C on his transcript. Yeah it sucked--especially having been that perfect 4.0 concert-pianist Asian kid in high school--but he chose not to let it get him down and was able to land a job at a bulge-bracket firm on Wall Street.

So don't stagnate over this. Keep moving, moving forward, towards the day when you will wake up and realize that you really have nothing to complain or worry about.

Edited by coffeeintotheorems

Ahh, the pervasive sound of desperate people demanding answers on the internet.

Getting one C freshman year is not going to wreck your life, mate, especially not if you have an A in graduate analysis to balance that out. If you keep obsessing over this, then you're only going to be fighting against yourself and wearing yourself out. If you really can't let go of this, then no amount of encouragement here is going to change that, and you should seriously consider therapy, anti-anxiety meds, amphetamines, etc. (That is not sarcasm--I mean it.)

I would kill to have HYP on my record; as such, you will get no sympathy from me. Your pedigree has opened doors for you and linked you into a network of powerful academic and professional resources that are yours for the taking if you can stop being so fearful.

For what it's worth, I had a friend who did his undergrad at Harvard. He doubled-majored in applied math and economics, and got many Bs and even a C on his transcript. Yeah it sucked--especially having been that perfect 4.0 concert-pianist Asian kid in high school--but he chose not to let it get him down and was able to land a job at a bulge-bracket firm on Wall Street.

So don't stagnate over this. Keep moving, moving forward, towards the day when you will wake up and realize that you really have nothing to complain or worry about.

You have very good points. However, I know it's not going to wreck my life, DUH!

It's not getting a C that I care about (trust me I've gotten a ton of Bs) but getting a C in one of the classes stat programs look at crucially. I think that's a genuine concern for someone who is serious about pursuing future study in statistics, not the worry of a perfectionist. Also it doesn't help when I see and hear of people with all As getting rejected by every graduate program to which they apply.

My main question was regarding working as an RA though. It looks like almost every university only allows current students to RA.

Edited by xiaoxin

Take a look at the applicant profiles in this link:

http://www.mathemati...0a5b7bd2e19d5a0

There you will find at least three applicants there with profiles no better than yours (grades and UG institution) who got accepted to top-notch statistics programs including Hopkins, Harvard, Yale, Wharton, Madison, and Michigan. End of discussion.

Yeah, I'm focusing on RA experience at this point. I'm assuming that's what a lot of people do during a gap year.

I might go work instead because I'm interested in actuarial stuff on the side, but I still want to pursue stat more down the road. However, it seems to me that stat is a field where the more time you take off, the rustier you get. How do people manage to stay sharp after a five year (just an example) break? Sudoku XD?