Who got off the waitlist?

ColaHaha

I got off the wait list for a masters at Duke!

I was rejected on April 2nd (my birthday). Then I got an email the day before Father's Day saying that one of the chosen few had dropped out "mainly because of financial reasons." They said they would like to admit me but that I had to interview with some of the professors who don't know me. (This is my alma mater.) The first interview was scheduled for tomorrow to find out how "ready" I am for a TA-ship. I emailed the professor asking to meet with him on Tuesday. He emailed me back with a time. But I wasn't able to confim for seven hours because I was on a job (no computer) So the professor canceled. We're supposed to try again for Friday. I don't know if this is how things are supposed to work. I'm starting to have second thoughts. It all seems so unorganized. Is it just me? Any comments would be helpful. I'm almost sick with indecision.

Don't be disgruntled by the apparent, or actual, lack of organization. It sounds like your institution had an unofficial wait list, hence your rejection letter instead of a wait list letter. I suggest you do your best to "court" your potential program directors and professors by honoring that interview despite the professor's time-sensitive scheduling over e-mail. Even if you get admitted as a result you can always reject it if it just doesn't feel right. Hope it all goes well for you!

I was a 2011 admit, but it shouldn't matter, should it?

I was waitlisted at two schools: Rutgers and UBC (in different subjects), and eventually rejected from both. I gather that both schools had every single first round offer accepted, which was a real bummer for me.

I get the sense that the two application years between 2010 and 2011 were extremely crowed with applicants and that meant that more people had only one offer, which they obviously accepted, and so waitlists were a bit less dynamic, it seems that situation that has eased off slightly this year... which could be good news for waitlisters present and future.