Who got off the waitlist?

ColaHaha

Hi everyone,

A couple of days ago I read one of the messages here that people who get rejected after being waitlisted don't really brag about it so we get this illusion that there's a big chance of getting accepted after being waitlisted.

So since we're still waiting for replies from schools, why don't we begin the thread for people who got off from the waitlist and accepted as well as those who got rejected after being waitlisted?

This might be a bit redundant as the results page, but the results page doesn't allow you to search the waitlisted ones...

If you get off the waitlist and are offered funding, feel free to indicate.

Thanks.

I'll post mine as soon as I get the final result...

OK as promised, I just received the final result:

I was on the waitlist and eventually got accepted at the PhD program in political science at Rice U, with 5 years of full funding (tuition waiver + $17k stipend + health insurance). According to the personal email from the director, I think they took only one person off the waitlist.

So I personally feel getting waitlisted means a rather large possibility of getting admission. But again, it's probably only because I was the first one on the list. I never asked them about my rank on the list because I was afraid of another frustration... :-P

I got into Concordia! I'm not sure if I'll take it, three years for am MFA, maybe funding after the first year via scholarships and bursaries? I have to call tomorrow to get a better idea of the financial picture. If I do decide to go then French lessons this summer!

I was waitlisted at my dream school then rejected :(

They said that they didn't even have a chance to pull *anyone* off the waitlist because every single person they offered acceptances to said yes. It's a small program ("less than 8") and technically they got more yes's than they have room for, they said. Sounds like a very unusual year for them. So that sucks. I'm having to try again next year :(

I was put on a waitlist at the University of Miami (Florida) in early Feb. and rejected a few days ago. Not surpised because my sub-area is a very small component of their program.

I'm going to my 1st choice -- UF.

I got waitlisted at two schools, one of which ranked participants and placed me high up, and straightaway accepted at a third.

I eventually got admitted off of the waitlist I was high up on and decided to go there because of higher rankings, funding (the straight admit ended up only being able to half fund everyone in the new cohort), location, housing availability, and fit factors.

I withdrew from the other waitlist, although as late as I could wait with enough time to decide if necessary, because I had to decide at the other before April 15th (no extension granted). They did say it was very unlikely I would get a spot beforehand.

I was waitlisted at Texas A&M, Clemson, Virginia Tech, and UNC Charlotte. VT told me pretty early that due to my position on their wait list I would most likely not be offered a slot. UNC and Clemson formally notified me of not being accepted shortly after the 15th. Texas A&M offered me a slot on the 14th and I turned them down on the fifteenth. Sticking with my original acceptance here in the city.

I haven't gotten off the waitlist yet. However, my situation is this: all the schools that put me on their waitlist claimed that their incoming class is already full which means that everyone has already accepted their offer and paid $500 tuition deposite. so, being on the waitlist in my situation is actually becomes to wait for people to change their mind the last minute that they decide not to attend even after they paid the nonrefundable $500. The director of admission told me that I could wait as long as two weeks before school starts in the late August. So, to the people out there who is still waiting like me, just keep in mind that the wait could last longer than we would hoped for. but it doesnt mean there is no chance of getting in at the end. Keep your spirit up!!!! and start to look for a job for the summer!

I was on the wait list at Georgetown for the MPP, and was recently admitted.. and will be attending.

I'm also waitlisted at NYU Wagner, and should receive a decision by June 1. I would withdraw but the day before I got my acceptance to Georgetown , I told them to keep me on the list. So.. they'll figure it out soon enough.

• 3 years later...

I was at the top of the waitlist at SUNY Buffalo for a PhD, and I was told that it was almost a certainty that I would get in off of it. Unfortunately, that didn't work out, so I'm doing a masters at Boston College. I was sad, but it gives me a chance to aim higher next time :)

I got put on the waitlist at Carnegie Mellon for a PhD and got rejected today. Short of a miracle, I guess I'll just have to try again next year.

• 2 weeks later...

I got off the Waitlist of MPH Simon Fraser University. Am so happy as its my 1st choice and of course there's nothing like an acceptance from a school even if its a safety school and you eventually won be attending.

Good Luck to those still waiting, keep your heads up high and for those who got rejected and have no Acceptance to any school, remember "If you don't succeed, dust yourself up and try again".

I was waitlisted for funding in early February for my top choice PhD program, discovered in late March I was first on the waitlist and that the first four candidates had to make up their minds. By the beginning of April got funding.

Also got an external federal award the beginning of May that would've permitted me to negotiate for funding to complete my award (i.e. the school would waive my tuition). So all in all everything worked out: got the school funding, still got the external funding, no longer required to TA.

• 1 month later...

I was rejected on April 2nd (my birthday). Then I got an email the day before Father's Day saying that one of the chosen few had dropped out "mainly because of financial reasons." They said they would like to admit me but that I had to interview with some of the professors who don't know me. (This is my alma mater.) The first interview was scheduled for tomorrow to find out how "ready" I am for a TA-ship. I emailed the professor asking to meet with him on Tuesday. He emailed me back with a time. But I wasn't able to confim for seven hours because I was on a job (no computer) So the professor canceled. We're supposed to try again for Friday. I don't know if this is how things are supposed to work. I'm starting to have second thoughts. It all seems so unorganized. Is it just me? Any comments would be helpful. I'm almost sick with indecision.