Hopkins SAIS

indyir

Got waitlisted SAIS, SIPA and Elliot so far. Haven't heard back from Fletcher yet. Want SAIS the most but have no experience and only fifteen years of education. (I'm an international student). Does anyone know whether sending additional recommendations or essays would help?

I am in the dilemma. Need some advices from you guys.

Here it is:

CIPA Cornell and SAIS JHU

Both are great programs. Here's the pro-and-con.

CIPA: Ivy league school, some funding, very flexible courses selection

but the location...

SAIS: top program among similar programs, D.C,

but no campus with limited selection of other courses.

I am interested doing international development work with NGOs or working in a think tank in the future - maybe in Singapore (doesn't have to be in U.S )

Any more opinions? Anyone in the same kind of dilemma? For now I am thinking of taking CIPA...

I am in the dilemma. Need some advices from you guys.

Here it is:

CIPA Cornell and SAIS JHU

Both are great programs. Here's the pro-and-con.

CIPA: Ivy league school, some funding, very flexible courses selection

but the location...

SAIS: top program among similar programs, D.C,

but no campus with limited selection of other courses.

I am interested doing international development work with NGOs or working in a think tank in the future - maybe in Singapore (doesn't have to be in U.S )

Any more opinions? Anyone in the same kind of dilemma? For now I am thinking of taking CIPA...

I'm not familiar with the CIPA program - but for some reason I'm under the impression that it's a more academic and less "professionally-oriented". I have no idea if this is accurate or not, so don't take my word for it.

I did consider applying for an MBA at Cornell, but then I looked up Ithaca and decided that it seemed 1) really cold 2) quite remote (compared to a program in DC/NYC/etc). That was enough to convince me not to apply. Have you visited both programs?

Having said all this, it might come down to how much money CIPA is offering you. But if at all possible, don't commit with at least visiting first. You need to see it firsthand before you decide to spend 2 years of your life there.

I'm not familiar with the CIPA program - but for some reason I'm under the impression that it's a more academic and less "professionally-oriented". I have no idea if this is accurate or not, so don't take my word for it.

I did consider applying for an MBA at Cornell, but then I looked up Ithaca and decided that it seemed 1) really cold 2) quite remote (compared to a program in DC/NYC/etc). That was enough to convince me not to apply. Have you visited both programs?

Having said all this, it might come down to how much money CIPA is offering you. But if at all possible, don't commit with at least visiting first. You need to see it firsthand before you decide to spend 2 years of your life there.

Thank you! I am from China but will be attending a conference at Stanford in April. I agree with you so I would take this chance to visit the campus before making the decision. Ithaca is really remote and cold, beautiful though. Which program are you gonna take?

Appreciate your ideas. thanks.

Okay, for those of us who were concerned about not sending in the right forms to be considered for fin aid (as discussed on ) - I just received an email from SAIS Fin Aid office:

...Fellowship funding is not affected by FAFSA or the institutional application. You needed only to mark the checkbox on your Admissions application indicating you would like to be considered for financial aid. We will sending out award notices via email soon.

Sounds like we're in the clear. Here's hoping for an email!

I also got an e-mail saying I was awarded aid. The system was hard to navigate but when I finally figured it out, all I had received was the 8500 subsidized, 12000 unsubsidized. They tricksed me!

Yeah, so does that mean we didn't get awarded any scholarships or grants? I guess so, but I'll call tomorrow to verify.

I also got an e-mail saying I was awarded aid. The system was hard to navigate but when I finally figured it out, all I had received was the 8500 subsidized, 12000 unsubsidized. They tricksed me!

Would you mind clarifying how you were able to login. When I put the userid in the "Welcome to ISIS" screen - I get an error message.

Would you mind clarifying how you were able to login. When I put the userid in the "Welcome to ISIS" screen - I get an error message.

That's what I did. The e-mail gave me a ISIS ID that I copy/pasted into the login, and on the next screen it asked for a password.

"Dear Corey:

Congratulations on your admission to The Johns Hopkins University, School of Advanced International Studies! Your financial aid application materials have been reviewed and you have been awarded financial aid. Hard copies of your award letter and pertinent materials will be mailed to your home address. In the interim, you have been granted access to the school's online system to view your financial aid package.

The Johns Hopkins University is committed to safeguarding the privacy of students and their personal information. In an ongoing effort to eliminate Social Security numbers from correspondence, the Office of Financial Aid will use the following unique identification number to communicate with you:

ISIS ID: *********"

click on the link.

use the ID they give you, fill out info for birthday and zipcode.

another screen will pop up. choose your password.

another login screen: use the ID they give you again for the JHED login or whatever, and your password.

click on financial aid-->summary.

click on the link.

use the ID they give you, fill out info for birthday and zipcode.

another screen will pop up. choose your password.

another login screen: use the ID they give you again for the JHED login or whatever, and your password.

click on financial aid-->summary.

Thank you for the specifics. I get an error on the first step:

* the ISIS ID you entered isn't valid

* this ID already has an account created. Click the 'Already a user?' link below to sign in.

Frustratingly, it might be because I have a JHED ID from my undergrad (which I think I no longer have access to...).

If I can't find a way around this I'll just have to call tomorrow when they are back in the office. Oh waiting...

Luckily mine was actually a fellowship award, plus the same ridiculous loan offers you got. Yikes.

The system says SAIS tuition is $37k a year, when Elliot is only $26k. How does that work?

I saw that, too. If you click on details, it lists everything, including loan fees, books, living costs, etc.

I got a $12K fellowship as well. It's better than nothing, but geeze louise, that's a lot of money I'm going to have to be repaying.

Thank you for the specifics. I get an error on the first step:

* the ISIS ID you entered isn't valid

* this ID already has an account created. Click the 'Already a user?' link below to sign in.

Frustratingly, it might be because I have a JHED ID from my undergrad (which I think I no longer have access to...).

If I can't find a way around this I'll just have to call tomorrow when they are back in the office. Oh waiting...

Did you create a password the first time you tried to log in? If so, click on the Already a user? link, use the ISIS ID they gave you in the email and your newly created password.

If that doesn't work, definitely call tomorrow. Good luck!

Looks like I got about $25k in fellowships for the first year, which looks like it is pretty awesome for SAIS. Still hard to justify compared with GW though, especially since I could work full time and still go to GW. Does anyone know whether we would be guaranteed the same funding level for year 2?

Looks like I got about $25k in fellowships for the first year, which looks like it is pretty awesome for SAIS.

That's definitely awesome - congrats to all of those who got funding.

Waiting until tomorrow is going to be tough. Georgetown - hurry up and post something tonight!