Working between degrees

Gelpfrat the Bold

For those of you who have worked or are currently working outside academia between degrees (between BA and MA, between MA and PhD, whatever), what jobs did you seek out? What do you do for a living? Have you managed to save up any money? Do you recommend the field?

I'd love to teach in a secondary school or something but have no teaching experience, absolutely none. I fully intend to pursue a PhD in a couple years though, so it wouldn't be a wise move for me to invest in further education like getting a teaching qualification.

After I got my BS, I got a job doing applied AI research at a small government contractor. My MS is a part-time program, and when I started it, I was still working at that company. I lost that job about a year ago, and got another one working on imaging science research for anti-suicide-bomber systems. That was a contract job, and my contract ran out three months ago. Later this month I'll be starting a new job at another contractor, working on morphogenetic robotics. I expect this one to last - it's close to a dream job. This one will also put me through a PhD program - it'll let me work reduced hours and provide me with funding. And my new boss knows my top POI at my top-choice PhD program - they were grad students in the same lab at the same time.

It's been pretty good money. I've been able to save up almost 100k, including retirement savings, since I got my BS in 2007, even with paying for a wedding. Generally good working conditions too - I've been able to balance work and school commitments without too much difficulty. I certainly recommend it, but you need some sort of relevant background. Usually, for a defense/security research firm, that's physical sciences and engineering. Some research firms, including the first one I worked for, take people with psych backgrounds, and some have biodefense or other life-science-based programs and take life scientists.

I worked for 10 years in between my BA and going back for my PhD. I did a masters in the middle which my employer basically paid for. I was in marketing and then I transitioned into a position where I was doing marketing research to help build up my research experience. I think it made my application stronger so I'm glad I did it. What field are you going into? If you're going to work, maybe seek out opportunities that will help you gain experience in the field you ultimately want to end up in.

Yes, I definitely saved up a lot. And I think it put me in a better financial situation than others in my cohort who are depending on stipends/RA/TA as their sole means of income.

I've been a bit of a stumble bum for these last four years after graduating undergrad. Partially a result of the economy, partially a result of my dislike for most 9-5 jobs. No regrets, gave me a chance to travel some, live in a few different places, test out the waters of the "real world" and conclude that the only place for me right now is academia. I've saved some money/paid off loans, but only because I'm such a spend-thrift.

Anyway, the point I want to make is that grad schools, at least in the humanities, will not look down on you if your CV is a jumble of odd-jobs with some big gaps in employment. So I wouldn't worry about what you should do....you should do whatever appeals most. That said, if your intended program requires language skills, consider living abroad in the relevant country and working on your proficiency.

I graduated last summer (B.S. Psychology) with the intention of working one year while applying to master's programs. I applied to a few research positions, but with only 8 months of experience, it was too competitive. I decided to accept a part-time position at a bookstore until something else came along. Then, found a job working in an after-school program for a private K-8. I don't know exactly how private differs from public, but here we're allowed to sub. It pays pretty well, actually, so that may be something you'd be interested in. I'm doing the after-school program very part-time now that I have found an office job in marketing.

Everything seemed to fall into place after about five months post graduation. I'm glad I decided to take the year off because I need the money! I live at home (thanks mom!), so that helps. B)

Edited by PsyK