Reapplying

Congratulations to everyone who received acceptances. I'm sorry if this post dampens the mood a bit, but I want to be as prepared as possible...

I struck out this round and, along with trying to pamper my bruised ego, I am already planning on how I can improve my chances for next year. This was my first attempt straight out of undergrad, so I think I'll have a much better understanding next time of what adcoms are looking for. So to those who were accepted-- Would any of you feel comfortable (privately) sharing your SOP with me? My grades, letters of rec, and writing sample were all strong, so I believe it was my GRE score and SOP that hurt my application. Looking over others' statements would greatly help me to refine my own.

Thanks in advance, and congrats again to everyone who received good news!

I'll share. PM me. Note that I didn't get into any of my reach schools, though, so take it with a grain of salt :) Good luck next time around. Maybe think about applying to both Ph.D. and MA programs next time too.

Congratulations to everyone who received acceptances. I'm sorry if this post dampens the mood a bit, but I want to be as prepared as possible...

I struck out this round and, along with trying to pamper my bruised ego, I am already planning on how I can improve my chances for next year. This was my first attempt straight out of undergrad, so I think I'll have a much better understanding next time of what adcoms are looking for. So to those who were accepted-- Would any of you feel comfortable (privately) sharing your SOP with me? My grades, letters of rec, and writing sample were all strong, so I believe it was my GRE score and SOP that hurt my application. Looking over others' statements would greatly help me to refine my own.

Thanks in advance, and congrats again to everyone who received good news!

I'll share, too.

I'll share, too.

I haven't received the two rejection letters to come but I am also in the same line of thought - thinking about re-applying next year and hoping to be better prepared.

I would love to share where I stand now with those who succeeded in their application to receive some feedback and see in which area I could improve myself.

I am happy to give my email addresses or MSN contact to hear the success stories as well!

Congratulations to all those accepted and look forward to receiving PMs!

I reapplied this year, so I definitely know what you're going through! Anyone reapplying is free to PM me if you want to talk; I'd be happy to share my SoP and experience reapplying (I didn't get into my reach schools this year, but I've gotten two funded PhD offers and a few non-funded/funding iffy MAs).

I'm brand new to GradCafe (though I've done some anonymous lurking... although I'm not a sketchball I promise) and had a frustratingly bad app season this year.

I'd love some advice as well, particularly on my SOP. (I've got a MA already, which I'm worrying is killing my chances since it's hard to talk convincingly about it as it's from a slightly unconventional program, Middlebury's Bread Loaf School).

Could I jump on the wagon here and get some advice as well? Thanks all!! :)