Is D.C. Worth The Cost?

Hello everyone!

I've been struggling, deciding between American MPP and UGA MPA. All things considered, it really comes down to location and cost. UGA will be much cheaper for me (in-state tuition). But, AU's location makes it more sensible for the MPP program.

I already have 30K in debt from undergrad. So, this is a big trade-off!

Is anyone having a similar dilemma?

Hello everyone!

I've been struggling, deciding between American MPP and UGA MPA. All things considered, it really comes down to location and cost. UGA will be much cheaper for me (in-state tuition). But, AU's location makes it more sensible for the MPP program.

I already have 30K in debt from undergrad. So, this is a big trade-off!

Is anyone having a similar dilemma?

depends on what you want to do afterwards. If you want to work in DC, it's probably worth it. It's going to be a lot harder and require a lot more networking to get a job in DC if you're not going to school there

depends on what you want to do afterwards. If you want to work in DC, it's probably worth it. It's going to be a lot harder and require a lot more networking to get a job in DC if you're not going to school there

I'm in the same position. None of the schools have let me know about funding yet, so I don't really have all my options in front of me.

I was also thinking that we could get a bunch of Gradcafe people, like 20-30, and go in on a row house in Dupont biggrin.gif

I'm in the same position. None of the schools have let me know about funding yet, so I don't really have all my options in front of me.

I was also thinking that we could get a bunch of Gradcafe people, like 20-30, and go in on a row house in Dupont biggrin.gif

I totally agree. What are your career goals?

I totally agree. What are your career goals?

It's oddly specific.....

Ideally, I would like to brush up on my engineering (optional), get a PhD in Transportation Policy and Planning, and be involved in the creation/improvement of an affordable national railway. But, my plans could change if I got a similar job right after grad school. For now, I'm just focused on policymaking/analysis.

It's oddly specific.....

Ideally, I would like to brush up on my engineering (optional), get a PhD in Transportation Policy and Planning, and be involved in the creation/improvement of an affordable national railway. But, my plans could change if I got a similar job right after grad school. For now, I'm just focused on policymaking/analysis.

well - sounds like you need to be in DC. You're not going to get jobs through your school career counselors. You're going to get jobs (particularly in the narrow focus you're looking at) by networking. There's probably 2-3 brownbags / talks / conferences / etc per week in that field in DC. Most are free and open to the public. Go, network, make an impression - that's how you get a job. proximity to this is what you get by being in DC.

DC is a livable city and imo, has the best public transportation in America (SF a close second).

Also, DC's cost of living is high with rent, but if you're willing to take a chance on some of the "up and coming" neighborhoods, then you cna get a good deal. Columbia Heights used to be crack infested, but now it is a mixture of urban elites and blue collar workers. The rent there is better. Silver Spring MD has a great suburban feel, but less than a 1/2 hour commute (by metro) to DC proper. Tenleytown is over by American, but is more affordable than places in DC proper and you can split rent with roommates. There are also residential areas near American's law school going toward Bethesda - these residents often rent out their basements or some rooms for good rates.

I worked in DC and stayed in Northern Virginia for a couple years. My place was about 2500/mo excluding utilities. I moved to the South and got a place that was bigger for 800/mo. So I definitely understand the cost differential. Just understand that DC costs more because there's more opportunities and more people want to be there. Can't put a price on connections in the field we're going into. :)

Good luck deciding.

DC is a livable city and imo, has the best public transportation in America (SF a close second). So you can live in affordable areas and commute easily.

Also, DC's cost of living is high with rent, but if you're willing to take a chance on some of the "up and coming" neighborhoods, then you cna get a good deal. Columbia Heights used to be crack infested, but now it is a mixture of urban elites and blue collar workers. The rent there is better. Silver Spring MD has a great suburban feel, but less than a 1/2 hour commute (by metro) to DC proper. Tenleytown is over by American, but is more affordable than places in DC proper and you can split rent with roommates. There are also residential areas near American's law school going toward Bethesda - these residents often rent out their basements or some rooms for good rates.

I worked in DC and stayed in Northern Virginia for a couple years. My place was about 2500/mo excluding utilities. I moved to the South and got a place that was bigger for 800/mo. So I definitely understand the cost differential. Just understand that DC costs more because there's more opportunities and more people want to be there. Can't put a price on connections in the field we're going into. :)

Good luck deciding.

I'm going to disagree that going to a DC school is essential to landing a job there. This is just anecdotal, but I do know several people from non-DC schools (and some quite removed!) who've successfully landed great DC jobs post-graduation. Sure, it might take more legwork/effort/networking on your part, but it's nowhere close to impossible. Talk to the career service office as well as current students and alums at UGA and see where they've sought/found work. Ask them about summer internships in DC that will help you get your foot in the door before you graduate. Who knows, a UGA background might even make you stand out to district firms saturated with DC schools grads.

Since you have heavy UG debt, I would seriously consider following the money. DC is an amazing place to live/work/be young, but if you go into public admin, take the right classes, and work hard, you'll have a good shot at getting to be there regardless of where you go to school.

Just my 0.02, feel free to disagree. Good luck and congrats!

I'm going to disagree that going to a DC school is essential to landing a job there. This is just anecdotal, but I do know several people from non-DC schools (and some quite removed!) who've successfully landed great DC jobs post-graduation. Sure, it might take more legwork/effort/networking on your part, but it's nowhere close to impossible. Talk to the career service office as well as current students and alums at UGA and see where they've sought/found work. Ask them about summer internships in DC that will help you get your foot in the door before you graduate. Who knows, a UGA background might even make you stand out to district firms saturated with DC schools grads.

Since you have heavy UG debt, I would seriously consider following the money. DC is an amazing place to live/work/be young, but if you go into public admin, take the right classes, and work hard, you'll have a good shot at getting to be there regardless of where you go to school.

Just my 0.02, feel free to disagree. Good luck and congrats!

I agree 100 percent. The private schools in DC are just not affordable for me. So, I plan to go to a good school, network, work hard, get good grades and hope for good luck :)

I'm not saying it's not impossible - it's just a lot harder. Plan on coming up to DC a lot.

I do quite a bit of hiring, and for junior and mid-level positions based in DC I generally don't bother if the person's not already in DC. There's such a large pool of potential applicants, why bother with phone interviews and then flying the person in if you like them?

In general, the decision to pursue grad school can be valued with a discounted cash flow model. You're giving up two years of income and paying a bunch of tuition now, with the payoff of (hopefully) increased paycheck in the future (as well as the intrinsic emotional benefit of whatever job you get (which, of course, doesn't pay the rent...). If the school in DC will give you more interesting, more lucrative prospects post-graduation, then you should choose the DC school. I would talk with both career service departments to see where alumni go and what salaries they earn (most B-schools track this - not as many MPA programs do)

A room in a Dupont rowhouse still costs $1,000/month. I cannot fathom the difference in cost of living by staying in GA. However, if you want to work in DC then I would strongly consider AU even with the cost. They have wonderful access to the federal student career programs, the PMF program (I think they produce the most PMFs of any school, or close to it), and internship access.

Edited by blingem

I'm attending UGA undergrad now, and I know a good bit about the MPA program (and know people in it now) if you want just general advice on that, or on Athens in general. It's substantially cheaper in Athens, but I wouldn't give up being in DC. But UGA's MPA program is pretty good, so maybe it's worth it??

Thanks for all the great advice! There are good arguments for both schools, so I feel like I can't go wrong either way.

I'll have to do some soul-searching and school visiting. Hopefully one of the schools will offer a surprising amount of money and make this decision easier.

P.S. As of today, there's exactly one month left before April 15. :-[

A room in a Dupont rowhouse still costs $1,000/month. I cannot fathom the difference in cost of living by staying in GA. However, if you want to work in DC then I would strongly consider AU even with the cost. They have wonderful access to the federal student career programs, the PMF program (I think they produce the most PMFs of any school, or close to it), and internship access.

Indeed, $1000/month is about right, hence the roommates.

Good luck with your decisions DbD. I'm hoping funding notifications will make life easier on all of us.

How do you feel about sitting on 95 or on amtrak for 2 hours a day? Sounds awful to me, but I suppose if you were taking Amtrak you could get some studying done if you could get a seat

Plus I'm not sure that would even be doable if you had a night class (say from 6-9).