University of Toronto

engin33r

I'm at U of T. It's great. Let me know if you have any questions about the university/ city.

I actually lived in Grad House for a year and had a good experience. I guess it would be hit or miss with roommates, but the building itself is well run, though pretty pricey. Be aware though that it's actually hard to get in, so you have to apply really early... it might be too late for next year.

ah ok so could I just use my toronto student number that I got from my letter of acceptance to get a UtorID, or should I wait to hear back since I sent in my paperwork for acceptance?

Not sure. But if you really need to use the Housing site and you still can't get your UTORid, then you could always purchase a guest membership. Call them and see?

I'm at U of T. It's great. Let me know if you have any questions about the university/ city.

I actually lived in Grad House for a year and had a good experience. I guess it would be hit or miss with roommates, but the building itself is well run, though pretty pricey. Be aware though that it's actually hard to get in, so you have to apply really early... it might be too late for next year.

Ooh! I have questions about Grad House. :D

1. How was the social experience? Like are there a lot of social events and opportunities to make friends, or are people too busy and often isolated in their rooms? I've heard mixed things about the social life there.

2. Noise level? Can you actually work in your rooms, or did you have to go to a library?

3. Cleanliness?

Thanks so much!

Edited by csychology

Hey!

1. There are quite a few social events organized; usually at least one a week. It's all about taking advantage of them though. When I first moved in I went to just about everything... once I had made friends I stopped going to as much. People are busy, as all grad students are, but everyone needs time to socialize.

2. I was able to work in my room. With the door closed it was really quiet. There's also a "library" (basically a study room) on the top floor. I really liked spending time there because it was super calm and comfortable.

3. This really really depends on your suitemates. The common areas are kept really clean throughout the building, but you and your roomies are responsible for your suite.

Hope that helped!! Don't hesitate to ask/ PM me if you want more info!

Ooh! I have questions about Grad House. :D

1. How was the social experience? Like are there a lot of social events and opportunities to make friends, or are people too busy and often isolated in their rooms? I've heard mixed things about the social life there.

2. Noise level? Can you actually work in your rooms, or did you have to go to a library?

3. Cleanliness?

Thanks so much!

Hey!

1. There are quite a few social events organized; usually at least one a week. It's all about taking advantage of them though. When I first moved in I went to just about everything... once I had made friends I stopped going to as much. People are busy, as all grad students are, but everyone needs time to socialize.

2. I was able to work in my room. With the door closed it was really quiet. There's also a "library" (basically a study room) on the top floor. I really liked spending time there because it was super calm and comfortable.

3. This really really depends on your suitemates. The common areas are kept really clean throughout the building, but you and your roomies are responsible for your suite.

Hope that helped!! Don't hesitate to ask/ PM me if you want more info!

Thanks for the reply! :D Actually, I was wondering about the suite-style format. Like for each bedroom, do you have locks and keys, or can anyone of your roommates access your bedroom?

Also, recommendations of food places (can be restaurants, supermarkets, etc.) near Grad House? :)

Everyone has a key card for their bedroom! So no worries. Lots of privacy.

There is a Metro (supermarket) like 5 minutes away which is very convenient... and way too many good restaurants on Bloor W (3 minutes away) to list. Right across the street from GH there's a Subway and a really good pizza place.

Thanks for the reply! :D Actually, I was wondering about the suite-style format. Like for each bedroom, do you have locks and keys, or can anyone of your roommates access your bedroom?

Also, recommendations of food places (can be restaurants, supermarkets, etc.) near Grad House? :)

• 3 weeks later...

just saw the campus last week when I was up for Spring Break.

i must say it was fantastic, city life, and everyone there seemed super-nice. the campus tour was pretty thrilling.

i really look forward to attending this upcoming fall!

Hello. I will be attending the theology school in the fall to study environmental ethics. Can anyone recommend a method to finding roommates? I am married but I am rather pessimistic about my wife being able to get a teaching job in Toronto this year so there is a good chance I will head up for at least a year by myself. I've been checking craigslist but wondered if there was any other way people were aware of.

Also, for those of you that live there, can you give a rough estimate for how much you spend on public transportation a month? This is the only expense I am not sure how to judge.

Check out the on Toronto. The Toronto LiveJournal community often has some great questions and answers as well; do a search and/or check the 'for rent' and 'moving' tags.

Transportation really depends on where you live. If you're within walking-distance of campus, grocery-stores, and entertainment, then you might pay only about $40 a month on subway-tokens (also usable on the buses and streetcars); but if you rely on public transit for everything, then you'll probably need to invest in MetroPasses.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Starting an MASc in Aerospace Engineering in September. Excited about the program, NOT excited about UTIAS's location...

I find it kind of inconvenient that you need to go in person to get a UTORid. I will be there twice this summer though, so will try to get it while I'm there.

Just waiting for my final transcripts to arrive (stupid Canada Post mail strike) and then everything should be finalized.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I'll be starting my masters in molecular genetics at UofT in September.

I also accepted a spot at Graduate House. Anyone else going to live there? smile.gif

I'll be in Grad House this year too! :) I did my undergrad at UTSG, but I'm getting tired of having to spend hours of my day commuting. I did a tour of the place about a month ago, and I really liked it! I guess I'll be seeing you there then!