University of Toronto

engin33r

ah good to hear there are more of us

what do you guys think of the Grad House on campus? I was thinking of getting housing there.

I've heard mixed things. One person I know went to live there but found it almost uninhabitable: intolerably unclean, with everything out-of-order. Another lived there for a semester and apparently liked it fine but did recently move out. Reportedly it's a little expensive, but hey, the location is difficult to beat. (Massey College is a grad-residence, too, but as I understand it, it's a little more undergrad-dorm-like.)

I've heard mixed things. One person I know went to live there but found it almost uninhabitable: intolerably unclean, with everything out-of-order. Another lived there for a semester and apparently liked it fine but did recently move out. Reportedly it's a little expensive, but hey, the location is difficult to beat. (Massey College is a grad-residence, too, but as I understand it, it's a little more undergrad-dorm-like.)

From what I hear, Massey is actually very much like Trinity College (undergrad college) with the formal dinners and high-tables. I haven't heard much about the food though :/

From what I hear, Massey is actually very much like Trinity College (undergrad college) with the formal dinners and high-tables. I haven't heard much about the food though :/

Heh! Sorry, I meant simply in terms of the living-arrangements. Small-ish rooms, brick walls, shared bathrooms, etc. (It's also possible to be an out-of-house member, but that's not directly relevant.)

Greetings fellow grad students!

So... I am an American who is going to Toronto in the fall with the guaranteed minimum funding for Arts/Sci PhD students: $15,000 plus tuition and fees. Do you think that graduate students can really live on this in the expensive city of Toronto? Or will I be starving at the end of the month? I plan to get a bachelor apartment in the Annex if possible.

I am so excited about going. I hope to be there this summer to learn my way around and to check out some of the cool festivals-- if I can find some money.

Are you able to edit your title to reflect that you are referring to Toronto? Your heading doesn't mention the city by name, so how is anyone going to find this post to help you? If you can't edit, then you should re-post in the City Guide section, where there is an existing thread for info on living in Toronto on $_______ amount of money per year. Good luck!

Are you able to edit your title to reflect that you are referring to Toronto? Your heading doesn't mention the city by name, so how is anyone going to find this post to help you? If you can't edit, then you should re-post in the City Guide section, where there is an existing thread for info on living in Toronto on $_______ amount of money per year. Good luck!

Oops. I thought I was posting to the University of Toronto thread on Meet and Greet. I can't figure out how to edit.

So... I am an American who is going to Toronto in the fall with the guaranteed minimum funding for Arts/Sci PhD students: $15,000 plus tuition and fees. Do you think that graduate students can really live on this in the expensive city of Toronto? Or will I be starving at the end of the month? I plan to get a bachelor apartment in the Annex if possible.

I am so excited about going. I hope to be there this summer to learn my way around and to check out some of the cool festivals-- if I can find some money.

Hello!

It's doable, but it's going to be close. I'd say you can expect to pay anything from $800 to $1200 per month for a bachelor-apartment in the Annex; I'd start looking for September/October vacancies early (May or June at the latest), and visit if possible to wander around looking at buildings and touring apartments. Try to find a place with utilities included; be careful with the food-budget and transportation-costs, and you'll be all right. If you can, though, make a bit of extra money over the summer. I did that last year and I'm really glad; having things delivered, buying furniture and sheets and such, and going to five booksales in a row on campus in September and October all added up to a little more than I expected to be spending in the autumn semester. (I did get most of my furniture secondhand, though. Kijiji is always full of good bets; if you fall into the habit of skimming the ads on there once or twice a day, you'll probably find everything you need in styles you like within a few weeks.)

sup bro glad to see another American joining me up here, whereabouts r u from? im still looking for a roomie we could split a double lol

Hello!

It's doable, but it's going to be close. I'd say you can expect to pay anything from $800 to $1200 per month for a bachelor-apartment in the Annex; I'd start looking for September/October vacancies early (May or June at the latest), and visit if possible to wander around looking at buildings and touring apartments. Try to find a place with utilities included; be careful with the food-budget and transportation-costs, and you'll be all right. If you can, though, make a bit of extra money over the summer. I did that last year and I'm really glad; having things delivered, buying furniture and sheets and such, and going to five booksales in a row on campus in September and October all added up to a little more than I expected to be spending in the autumn semester. (I did get most of my furniture secondhand, though. Kijiji is always full of good bets; if you fall into the habit of skimming the ads on there once or twice a day, you'll probably find everything you need in styles you like within a few weeks.)

I agree. It's really all dependent on how you spend your money. It's probably a good idea to check around online and look at places to rent. Try starting here:

http://www.rentjungle.com/

You can get a good feel for what's for rent around the area. I hope this helps!

When you guys get your UTORids, check out https://www.housing.utoronto.ca/. They have a really complete database of housing around campus, and a lot of the people that post up things are from UofT. :)

how do we exactly get our UTORids, its only by going in person right? UofT mad slow right now, I accepted my offer but haven't heard anything since.

how do we exactly get our UTORids, its only by going in person right? UofT mad slow right now, I accepted my offer but haven't heard anything since.

I forgot how, sorry. I actually did my undergrad at UofT, so I already have my UTORid. Not sure how it works at the graduate level, though if I had to guess, you would probably need to get your T-Card so that you can use your UofT account. And in that case, getting your T-Card requires going to Robarts Library in person.

There's an option to buy a 8-week membership at the Housing UofT site (guest account) for $24, in case you need to use the site before you get your UTORid!

Edited by csychology

Not sure how it works at the graduate level, though if I had to guess, you would probably need to get your T-Card so that you can use your UofT account. And in that case, getting your T-Card requires going to Robarts Library in person.

Right on-target! * grins *

ah ok so could I just use my toronto student number that I got from my letter of acceptance to get a UtorID, or should I wait to hear back since I sent in my paperwork for acceptance?