for those accepted into grad programs straight from undergrad

adsum

Ah! I have senioritis so bad!

It's even more shameful because I'm working on my senior thesis, which I should care about, but don't.

I got accepted to my first choice program with funding and although my offer is contingent upon my graduation this semester, I met all my official requirements last semester, so there's not a whole lot I can do to mess it up.

At this point, my brain has just checked out. I am very much done with my thesis research and just don't want to think about it anymore.

I'm sure that the term papers, thesis writing, and presentations will all get done by the end of the year, but they probably won't get done very well.

Also have a bad case of senioritis- I've gotten to the point in my thesis where I have to do a lot of editing to a section that I didn't want to write in the first place. But it's actually an important skill for grad school- knowing what to spend less time on because it isn't important. Though I guess I need to prove to myself that I can survive the beauracracy of a thesis, because if I can't how will I manage to finish my dissertation?

I just defended my honors thesis and I have lost all motivation to study/do homework.

It's kind of cool though because for the first time I'm experiencing college like a more prototypical college student (i.e. not spending countless hours doing homework and research but actually having some fun)

Ugh, I'm having the same problem. None of my classes are easy, but I've picked the "easiest" one and basically stopped going. I can't focus for more than half an hour at a time. I thought it would go away once I got accepted and figured out where I'm going, but now I just waste time on craigslist looking at apartments, rereading the program's website, online window-shopping for a new grad school wardrobe, etc. etc. I will say though: try not to slide too far. I have been just barely hanging on and had big plans for getting a lot done this weekend. But then on Saturday I suddenly ran a high fever and felt miserable. I had to go to urgent care and it turns out that I have a viral infection that is showing up as a sore throat, swollen glands, and pinkeye. A grown woman with pinkeye! Anyway, it totally wiped me out and my eyes still hurt so it's hard to keep them open and all my plans of digging into my projects over the weekend went out the window. SO that's my cautionary tale: don't leave so much to the last minute that you can't finish it if something unexpected happens.

Ugh, I'm having the same problem. None of my classes are easy, but I've picked the "easiest" one and basically stopped going. I can't focus for more than half an hour at a time. I thought it would go away once I got accepted and figured out where I'm going, but now I just waste time on craigslist looking at apartments, rereading the program's website, online window-shopping for a new grad school wardrobe, etc. etc. I will say though: try not to slide too far. I have been just barely hanging on and had big plans for getting a lot done this weekend. But then on Saturday I suddenly ran a high fever and felt miserable. I had to go to urgent care and it turns out that I have a viral infection that is showing up as a sore throat, swollen glands, and pinkeye. A grown woman with pinkeye! Anyway, it totally wiped me out and my eyes still hurt so it's hard to keep them open and all my plans of digging into my projects over the weekend went out the window. SO that's my cautionary tale: don't leave so much to the last minute that you can't finish it if something unexpected happens.

i'm doing my usual load of procrastination right now. have a journal club discussion that i'm leading tomorrow and have barely read through the abstract. buckets of joy. i also have been wasting time looking at apts on craigslist... and your ordeal with pink eye, happened to me LAST quarter (except i had appendicitis). ended up missing 2 weeks worth of assignments... was drowning in make up work, and then was faced with finals. this quarter, i started out the quarter with food poisoning.

weird. its like a sign telling me NOT to go to school B)

SO that's my cautionary tale: don't leave so much to the last minute that you can't finish it if something unexpected happens.

Absolutely. My high-stress and low-motivation was so bad that I dropped half my courses this semester and went part-time, figuring I'd finish my program during the summer, in the sunshine, where I write the best. But of course, now I've suffered a severe injury to my shoulder and have developed chronic-pain disorders caused by the repetitive movements and stress of sitting at a computer. So now that I have my thesis due and have already delayed graduation until the summer semester, I'm in so much pain that I can't sit at my computer for mre than 5-10 minutes at a time and typing hurts. How do you write 100+ pages when you can't type?!! And since I suffered from senioritis already, I already moved everything to the summer and can't write this then instead. It's a disaster and a painful one.

So yeah, all that excess-information and ranting to say: Don't push things off. Don't tell yourself that you can "do it later" and push your work farther away, because if something happens to you, you might find yourself short on options right when you are supposed to be graduating and going off to your dream school. God help me if I have to defer a year my graduate program next year (which would make me lose my scholarship) because I spent this summer getting surgery instead of finishing the courses I pushed to the summer semester instead..