Curse you, US Postal Service.

gradgirl

I've officially determined that my mailman sometimes decides not to do his job on Saturdays, and apparently no one is sent to fill in for him. Before this was mildly annoying, because I'd have the occasional Saturday letter to mail and it would never get picked up. Now during the grad school wait it's contributing still further to my insanity. Last Saturday when he actually came, I got an acceptance letter...so I'd been holding out hope for this Saturday. (Flawed logic, but--you know.) But alas, no mail delivered here.

This means two whole loooong days with no mail delivery.

Isn't this illegal or something? What happened to the whole "rain, sleet, or shine" thing? How did I end up with fricking Newman from Seinfeld as my mailman?

Considering the fact that I probably paid the post office over $100 for overnighting various grad school application related documents, (long story, but $14.40 per letter--what a ripoff), these people owe me. I ought to own free shares in US Postal Service stock or something by now, if there were such a thing. I demand service!

Guest Paddy_Conscience

I feel your pain. My post office accidentally deleted my name from their system last November. They marked all of my bills and magazine subscriptions "return to sender" and just...um...returned them. Thankfully Verizon called me and let me know what happened (but only after the second such occurence) - my credit card company, of course, DIDN'T, because they WANT you to go into arrears and have to pay all sorts of interest. Then when I confronted the local post office about it, they acted like it was my fault! Long story short (I know, too late), the Postal Service is completely useless.

My mail has not been delivered in two days. I think my mail carrier is scared of me because as soon as I hear them leave the building, I run downstairs to look for letters.

The mail carrier also has a habit of stuffing my mail in the box in such a manner that magazines and thin letters, such as refund checks, get ripped. I don't really care if the cover of my Vegetarian Times gets torn, but my refund check for this semester was nearly ripped in half!

• 3 years later...
My mail has not been delivered in two days. I think my mail carrier is scared of me because as soon as I hear them leave the building, I run downstairs to look for letters.

I do the same lol. heahhahahah.

The mail carrier also has a habit of stuffing my mail in the box in such a manner that magazines and thin letters, such as refund checks, get ripped.

ehahhaha, i think we have the same mailman. ehahahhahahhaha

I feel the same with postal service, never reliable. But compared to so many places around the world, i guess we are in postal heaven.

I feel your pain. My post office accidentally deleted my name from their system last November. They marked all of my bills and magazine subscriptions "return to sender" and just...um...returned them. Thankfully Verizon called me and let me know what happened (but only after the second such occurence) - my credit card company, of course, DIDN'T, because they WANT you to go into arrears and have to pay all sorts of interest. Then when I confronted the local post office about it, they acted like it was my fault! Long story short (I know, too late), the Postal Service is completely useless.

Goodness. One more reason to do paperless e-bills, yeah? :D

A few years ago when my exhusband moved out, he turned in a forward request for an individual. Apparently my mail carrier decided I had moved, too. Only since I hadn't submitted a form, my mail was being returned to sender. I went for a week and a half without any mail whatsoever, which rather annoyed me at the time as my season tickets to Aggie Football were due in any day. I called the post office to report the problem, and they took two days to investigate it. Based on what I was told, your route carrier is responsible for sorting mail on their route and knowing who has forwards, holds, etc. They are individually responsible. However, my regular carrier was on vacation and her relief had funked everything up. Needless to say, it got fixed, but quite a bit of my mail was returned without my knowledge or request.

You mention that you know mail hasn't run on Saturdays, because you put mail out and it goes uncollected. Report it. Call your local post office and report non-delivery and non-pickup. Be as precise as you can with dates, especially the uncollected days. They can write off an occasional non-delivery, as not everyone receives something in the mail every single day (albeit rare with the amount of junk mail out there). However, they can't ignore mail that is not picked up when you put it out hours before regular delivery.

This is a very funny thread.. I can relate.

And a few weeks ago when I was ranting in a similar fashion, I did a little 'investigation' re: the whole wind, sleet, snow thing. It's wrongly identified as an oath or pledge but really, the quote is on the USPS Building in NYC bc the architect thought it would look good.

From the Post Office website:

"This inscription was supplied by William Mitchell Kendall of the firm of McKim, Mead & White, the architects who designed the New York General Post Office. Kendall said the sentence appears in the works of Herodotus and describes the expedition of the Greeks against the Persians under Cyrus, about 500 B.C. The Persians operated a system of mounted postal couriers, and the sentence describes the fidelity with which their work was done. Professor George H. Palmer of Harvard University supplied the translation, which he considered the most poetical of about seven translations from the Greek."

Crazy, no??

Tell me about it. In recent months my post office have been doing an half-a$$ job. I've got my mails delivered to my neighbors a couple of house down or they put it in my tenant's mailbox. What is that? They can't even read names or house numbers or apartment numbers? How did they pass that test to be a mailman? I got so pissed off I filed a complaint on them, but they keep denying and say Oh we delivery very carefully, is it because the names aren't written clearly on the mailboxes? ~_~ Well if permanent black marker written in plain English block letters at like font size 16 isn't clear enough I don't know what's called clear. Post office got attitude these days.