Harvard Kennedy vs. Georgetown MSFS

tursion

HKS or MSFS?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which Program Do You Prefer?

• Harvard Kennedy School
    • Georgetown MSFS

Hi all,

I am very blessed to be deciding between these two great programs. I know both have their own strengths/weaknesses, depending on your area of interest, but given your own career trajectory, which would you prefer? And why? I'm curious to see the reasons why people would pick one over the other.

I personally am pursuing a joint JD/Master's degree. My JD will be either at Berkeley Law or Michigan Law. I am interested in international relations, and development. Former PPIA Fellow. Trying to see how much scholarship money I can get. My ultimate goal is to either work as a big-shot in the UN or as a big-shot in the US government.

I know MSFS is the best IR program in the world, and Harvard is Harvard, so I'm really uncertain about which one I prefer. What would you do, and why?

Hi all,

I am very blessed to be deciding between these two great programs. I know both have their own strengths/weaknesses, depending on your area of interest, but given your own career trajectory, which would you prefer? And why? I'm curious to see the reasons why people would pick one over the other.

I personally am pursuing a joint JD/Master's degree. My JD will be either at Berkeley Law or Michigan Law. I am interested in international relations, and development. Former PPIA Fellow. Trying to see how much scholarship money I can get. My ultimate goal is to either work as a big-shot in the UN or as a big-shot in the US government.

I know MSFS is the best IR program in the world, and Harvard is Harvard, so I'm really uncertain about which one I prefer. What would you do, and why?

I'm not sure I'd label SFS as the best IR program in the world. It's a great school, but it definitely has some strong competition for that title.

I'm curious about your dual degree. My understanding is that if you attend SFS as part of a joint/dual degree your only JD option is Georgetown Law. Has Georgetown given you the okay to combine with Berkeley or Michigan?

If it's JD at Harvard then I think u should definitely choose harvard. But mpp at Harvard and IR program in DC with joint degree in law, I'd think u should give it a second thought. DC is the place full of miracles. When I interned there, both policy and legal people told me that network is the greatest advantage about studying in DC. Besides, DC is famous for job opportunities in both legal practices and policies. In this case, a year IR study in the top program in DC definitely worth more than one year study at Kennedy where most of your classmates would end up returning to their home country and serve as activists or policy practitioners.

I'm not sure I'd label SFS as the best IR program in the world. It's a great school, but it definitely has some strong competition for that title.

I'm curious about your dual degree. My understanding is that if you attend SFS as part of a joint/dual degree your only JD option is Georgetown Law. Has Georgetown given you the okay to combine with Berkeley or Michigan?

Lol sorry, guess I got carried away with hyperbole. I've been accepted to Fletcher and SAIS Bologna as well, but I disregarded both because I always read and heard MSFS is tops.

And you're totally right about the joint program. At the rate it's going, I can do the joint Berkeley or Michigan JD/Harvard MPP. Or MSFS on its own. I'm still holding out a fool's hope of convincing Georgetown to let me pursue my JD elsewhere (rejected from GT law).

But either way, what do you think?

God, I wish I could do the joint HKS MPP/GT MSFS. Haha, pwnage. Wishful thinking...

If it's JD at Harvard then I think u should definitely choose harvard. But mpp at Harvard and IR program in DC with joint degree in law, I'd think u should give it a second thought. DC is the place full of miracles. When I interned there, both policy and legal people told me that network is the greatest advantage about studying in DC. Besides, DC is famous for job opportunities in both legal practices and policies. In this case, a year IR study in the top program in DC definitely worth more than one year study at Kennedy where most of your classmates would end up returning to their home country and serve as activists or policy practitioners.

The JD can only be at Cal or Michigan, not Harvard. Didn't get in :/

So MSFS for networking purposes. Interesting point, ty.

Lol sorry, guess I got carried away with hyperbole. I've been accepted to Fletcher and SAIS Bologna as well, but I disregarded both because I always read and heard MSFS is tops.

And you're totally right about the joint program. At the rate it's going, I can do the joint Berkeley or Michigan JD/Harvard MPP. Or MSFS on its own. I'm still holding out a fool's hope of convincing Georgetown to let me pursue my JD elsewhere (rejected from GT law).

But either way, what do you think?

God, I wish I could do the joint HKS MPP/GT MSFS. Haha, pwnage. Wishful thinking...

I'm hoping for a dual degree MA/MBA - and I've been frustrated with the limitations at both Columbia and Georgetown. But SAIS on the other hand is really great at mixing and matching programs. I'm not sure how this works for a JD, but for the MA/MBA program you'd go from 4 year's worth of school to 3 years because both programs agree to waive a semester's worth of overlapping credits. SAIS will waive the semester for the majority of reputable MBA programs, so that puts you at 3.5 years. If you can get the business school to do the same, you're down to 3.

I wonder if this is similar for JD. Having said all this, I'm under the impression that both Georgetown and Columbia used to be more flexible with their joint/dual degree policies - I know of people (a bit older) with joint degrees from both schools + SAIS. But according to the contact I've talked to at SAIS in charge of joint degrees, both schools have become more restrictive in recent years. I don't know for certain that you can't try an individual appeal (combining SIPA and GT MBA for example) - that's why I was curious if you'd tried it yet with Georgetown. (if you make that work - please let me know)

As far as HKS MPP/GT MSFS - that might actually be sort of redundant. But if you're serious about the Masters+JD, take another look at SAIS. I bet they'd be willing to consider your JD options. If you're concerned about taking a step "down" by picking SAIS of SFS - I definitely don't think that's the case. Georgetown has the top IR undergrad program, but their grad program has competition (WWS, SAIS, SIPA - and I'm not as familiar with it, but probably Tufts too). I think it comes down to specialty. For example, SFS has the Middle East market cornered, but when it comes to professional econ programs - I think that title goes to SAIS.

I'm hoping for a dual degree MA/MBA - and I've been frustrated with the limitations at both Columbia and Georgetown. But SAIS on the other hand is really great at mixing and matching programs. I'm not sure how this works for a JD, but for the MA/MBA program you'd go from 4 year's worth of school to 3 years because both programs agree to waive a semester's worth of overlapping credits. SAIS will waive the semester for the majority of reputable MBA programs, so that puts you at 3.5 years. If you can get the business school to do the same, you're down to 3.

I wonder if this is similar for JD. Having said all this, I'm under the impression that both Georgetown and Columbia used to be more flexible with their joint/dual degree policies - I know of people (a bit older) with joint degrees from both schools + SAIS. But according to the contact I've talked to at SAIS in charge of joint degrees, both schools have become more restrictive in recent years. I don't know for certain that you can't try an individual appeal (combining SIPA and GT MBA for example) - that's why I was curious if you'd tried it yet with Georgetown. (if you make that work - please let me know)

As far as HKS MPP/GT MSFS - that might actually be sort of redundant. But if you're serious about the Masters+JD, take another look at SAIS. I bet they'd be willing to consider your JD options. If you're concerned about taking a step "down" by picking SAIS of SFS - I definitely don't think that's the case. Georgetown has the top IR undergrad program, but their grad program has competition (WWS, SAIS, SIPA - and I'm not as familiar with it, but probably Tufts too). I think it comes down to specialty. For example, SFS has the Middle East market cornered, but when it comes to professional econ programs - I think that title goes to SAIS.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Doing a joint JD/Masters program will take 4 years, instead of the 5 it takes to do each separately. So we save a year.

Does it make a difference that I'm accepted to the SAIS Bologna campus and not DC?

I wonder how to go about trying to convince MSFS to let me pursue a dual program with a JD from somewhere else. Any suggestions welcome! If it does work, I'll definitely reply.

In terms of IR, I am most interested in making a difference in the developing world, perhaps through the UN. But I also am open to pursuing politics in the US, and I've heard HKS is better suited for that field.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Doing a joint JD/Masters program will take 4 years, instead of the 5 it takes to do each separately. So we save a year.

Does it make a difference that I'm accepted to the SAIS Bologna campus and not DC?

I wonder how to go about trying to convince MSFS to let me pursue a dual program with a JD from somewhere else. Any suggestions welcome! If it does work, I'll definitely reply.

In terms of IR, I am most interested in making a difference in the developing world, perhaps through the UN. But I also am open to pursuing politics in the US, and I've heard HKS is better suited for that field.

No problem - you hit on something I've been thinking a lot about recently ;)

I don't think BC/DC makes a difference, but I'll PM you the contact info for the person at SAIS who can answer.

As for Georgetown, I don't have that contact info - but I'm sure someone does. Maybe ask admissions or on the facebook page? My guess is, if they can give you the person to talk to, and if that person is willing to discuss it, you'll have to make the case for why you want to be at SFS and why you need JD from ___ (Berkeley or Michigan).

But you're right about the international/domestic front. That's probably what you need to decide on before you pick on a school - can you go to the open house days? It might be helpful to talk to people there. Also, this is probably something you've already though about, be sure you really need the JD before going down that road. 2 extra years is a lot of school and lost earnings/experience for a degree if it isn't integral to what you want to do in the future.

good luck!

guys, what about stanford IPS? you seem to have vast knowledge about programs.

Unfortunately I can't be of much help here. I'm familiar with the overall reputation of the university, but I don't know any specifics about the program. I'm sure it has a dramatically different "feel" from some of the east coast schools - could be a good thing!

My Two Cents...

Based on my own experience, I can assure you that being in Washington D.C. does make a huge difference depending on what you intend to do after you graduate. In my case, when I was transferring from a city college in California, I had the option to go to either UCLA, UCSD or American University, all for their international relations program. I was not familiar at all with American until a professor told me that I should really consider it. I ended up at AU, graduated in May of 2008 and have been fairly well employed since (1 year at the World Bank and another 2 at the IMF). A friend of mine chose to go to UCLA's program, which I was uncertain about prior to taking AU. It happens that he too has been well employed, but working in the private sector (Pepsi in Europe)... Now, when it comes to Harvard (worldwide brand!) and Georgetown (unique location specially if you intend to network/intern while in the program) the decision is really though! I would consider how much aid you get (or not) from one vs the other. But, more importantly, keep in mind that, although closely related, Public Policy and Foreign Affairs are very different programs! My undergrad was in IR and I now wish to pursue an MPP before returning to my country and contributing to society through politics -- I have no doubt about my intentions, and that helps a lot!! Maybe that's the inner question... what do you REALLY wish to do after grad school?!...