US news top grad. schools of education

mrniceguy

Hello everyone! i just read the US news top graduate school for education..

TOP 5..

1. Vanderbilt- Peabody

2. Harvard

2. UT- Austin

4. Stanford

4. Teachers College, Columbia U.

All of these schools are obv. great for education but is US news really a reliable source for this sort of ranking? I may be a little bias because I am going to TC but I don't know how UT-Austin jumped from tenth to tie with Harvard. And I know that Vanderbilt is a great school and has a great ED. program but does anyone feel that when being interviewed for a job the employer will think higher of you if say you're applying with a degree from Harvard or Columbia-TC even though Vanderbilt has a better program? (according to US news) so yeah i was just wondering what peoples opinions on these rankings were...

well, if your employer is a school, and you're applying to be a teacher, Peabody carries significant weight. It's all context. For example, Tufts is a well known school, but if you're applying to work at the UN or the State Department, a graduate degree from there is unbeatable. Or UC San Francisco...UCSF only matters if you're a doctor, but it matters a LOT.

Also, each school of education differs by specialty, and you have to know what you want and find which school matches that. Like for musicians - it's Juilliard that's #1, right? Not if you want to play in an orchestra or are a solo cello major, then it's New England Conservatory. Vocals? Indiana University. Composition? U Michigan.

I think maybe what i am trying to ask is would it be more significant to an employer if you're applying (for a teaching position) with an ivy league degree rather than one from Vanderbilt although Vanderbilt is ranked higher? This question could really be applied to any field.

A teaching position at a K-12 school or at a University? Most people don't go for a PhD to get a "teaching" position at a University -- it's all about the research...

and then, it matters less where you went--what's important is your record and the reputation of your advisor.

A teaching position at a K-12 school or at a University? Most people don't go for a PhD to get a "teaching" position at a University -- it's all about the research...

and then, it matters less where you went--what's important is your record and the reputation of your advisor.

ah yes good point.. I was referring to a teaching position in a K-12 school for someone coming out of Grad School with a masters..