NDSEG fellowship

BG7

Well, the information should prove useful to anyone else who might actually get one and doesn't want to fulfill the end of the Boy Who Cried Wolf parable (;

I was afraid that Monday was a federal holiday (Patriot's Day), but I guess it's only a holiday for us. Phew.

You get Patriot's Day off? What do you live in Foxborough, MA? ;) I had a hard enough time missing something like MLK day! Actually I think I worked on MLK day.

Haha, independently, right? We set up a board to examine and compare private submissions of supposed headers?

Sure, why not. It'll pass the time. :-)

You get Patriot's Day off? What do you live in Foxborough, MA? ;) I had a hard enough time missing something like MLK day! Actually I think I worked on MLK day.

Cambridge, but close (; At my undergrad university, we didn't even get July 4th off (for summer school classes or employees) until like two years ago. MLK was our only holiday...and now I get 4 day weekends for a holiday I've never heard of before now...

Sure, why not. It'll pass the time. :-)

Who says they didn't spoof the header? Or just photoshop it? Go, go gadget conspiracy theory!

Cambridge, but close (; At my undergrad university, we didn't even get July 4th off (for summer school classes or employees) until like two years ago. MLK was our only holiday...and now I get 4 day weekends for a holiday I've never heard of before now...

Jealousy doesn't even come close to what I feel right now. I suppose I can't complain too much. At least I am doing things I genuinely enjoy (most of the time).

Edited by boneh3ad

Who says they didn't spoof the header? Or just photoshop it? Go, go gadget conspiracy theory!

The idea for the PMing of headers is that no one has posted a header yet, so if they independently submit the same subject line to someone privately (kinda like giving a middle man money and goods to conduct an exchange such that neither party gets ripped off), then we think they're legit. Then again, it's completely undermined if they are the same person on different accounts. So... *shrugs* and yay Suicide Prevention Days!

Hmm, screencap looks pretty legit, and just adds to the confusion. I could accept the fact that all the acceptances were sent out already, but there's one rejection which just messes everything up w.r.t. us not hearing anything...

Edited by jendoly

Maybe I'm being misunderstood. I'm not talking about the email subject line. I'm talking about the part of the email that traces its path from sender to receiver. If you have gmail, open any email, view the drop down menu immediately to the right of the 'Reply' button, and choose 'Show original'. Slightly more difficult to fake that, I think.

Maybe I'm being misunderstood. I'm not talking about the email subject line. I'm talking about the part of the email that traces its path from sender to receiver. If you have gmail, open any email, view the drop down menu immediately to the right of the 'Reply' button, and choose 'Show original'. Slightly more difficult to fake that, I think.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh. Okay, I see what you mean, haha. Good point. Totally thought you meant the subject line, since no one had posted the text of that yet.

Edited by jendoly

Spoofing the header is what spammers do all the time so you can't trace them though. Still, who knows. At that point I think we are getting a little Looney Tunes though.

Spoofing the header is what spammers do all the time so you can't trace them though. Still, who knows. At that point I think we are getting a little Looney Tunes though.

We aren't already? :lol:

This is true...but it would be the best evidence we could get up to this point, short of the acceptance list being posted or everyone finally receiving some sort of email.

Different sort of Looney Tunes. We are already at neuroticism but we are quickly adding paranoia to our portfolio.

There's being paranoid, and then there's being sure. Totally different psychological states!

There's being paranoid, and then there's being sure. Totally different psychological states!

Fair enough. Are you sure that fortytwo is a troll? The image could certainly be a fake, but it is a pretty well-done fake if it is. That isn't necessarily out of the realm of possibility. Either way, if it is real that isn't necessarily bad news. It would imply that both of us are on the deferral list or else being sponsored by a different governing body.

Edited by boneh3ad

Fair enough. Are you sure that fortytwo is a troll? The image could certainly be a fake, but it is a pretty well-done fake if it is. That isn't necessarily out of the realm of possibility. Either way, if it is real that isn't necessarily bad news. It would imply that both of us are on the deferral list or else being sponsored by a different governing body.

I mean, I think it's legit now, unless someone is putting WAY more effort than necessary into trolling me, in which case I'm ready to say Good Game if they are (welcome to the GradCafe NDSEG Corps, fortytwo!) Yeah, I'm pretty certain that they'd send us a deferral email at the same time, so I think something went wrong earlier and they had to abort, or for some super weird reason they are releasing the different sponsors at wildly different times.

I mean, I think it's legit now, unless someone is putting WAY more effort than necessary into trolling me, in which case I'm ready to say Good Game if they are (welcome to the GradCafe NDSEG Corps, fortytwo!) Yeah, I'm pretty certain that they'd send us a deferral email at the same time, so I think something went wrong earlier and they had to abort, or for some super weird reason they are releasing the different sponsors at wildly different times.

I won't disagree, though this is the internet, which is known for ridiculously persistent trolls, so it isn't impossible.

I won't disagree, though this is the internet, which is known for ridiculously persistent trolls, so it isn't impossible.

Not impossible (never know, could have been from a previous year, doesn't say 2011 in there anywhere, but I doubt someone would have just HAD that page on hand), but I will concede defeat if someone put THAT much effort into trolling me when they aren't even certain whether or not their efforts would be foiled by the real NDSEG releasing results before they finished their carefully crafted faux page xD

It's pretty conceivable that various branches are sending out their acceptances separately. They may have to wait for the OK on funding from each branch separately before they can officially tell people they have awards, and given how crazy the budget has been lately I wouldn't be surprised if even the DOD is having to shuffle money around more than usual.

Yep, thanks for the warm welcome.

Yep, thanks for the warm welcome.

Sorry to treat you with such KGB-style suspicion. We clearly have nothing better to do on a Saturday night.

EDIT: Okay, I have lots better to do. I'm just clearly not doing it.

Edited by jendoly

I was about to say... I am "studying" for quals right now.

I am....writing a NIAC proposal and writing questions for an interview. ):

I am....writing a NIAC proposal and writing questions for an interview. ):

At some point I also need to stop worrying about the NDSEG and finish writing my paper for AIAA Hawai'i this June. That may have to wait until Monday, however. heh

At some point I also need to stop worrying about the NDSEG and finish writing my paper for AIAA Hawai'i this June. That may have to wait until Monday, however. heh

The Monday-that-is-not-a-holiday. That's when my interview is. Gotta figure out how to reliably record a Skype conversation before then...