NDSEG fellowship

BG7

I figure that if I didn't get the NSF fellowship, I won't get the NDSEG fellowship either since it's supposedly more prestigious (according to several of my professors). I don't know what the acceptance rate is for my field (mathematics) though...

It looks like 14-16 people got it in Math the past few years, so that's decent if there's only 200 awards. Of course, there are far fewer disciplines as compared to NSF. No idea how many people in math actually apply for NDSEG, as opposed to people in other disciplines, though.

It looks like 14-16 people got it in Math the past few years, so that's decent if there's only 200 awards. Of course, there are far fewer disciplines as compared to NSF. No idea how many people in math actually apply for NDSEG, as opposed to people in other disciplines, though.

http://ndseg.asee.org/about_ndseg/award_selection

I'm in Europe at the moment, so a 5pm ET release for me will be 11 pm here, and being a Friday night and all, I probably won't see my e-mail until Saturday morning... So, rejection or award, I won't know 'til Saturday.

I'm hoping for a morning/afternoon release so that I can celebrate or drown my sorrows in the evening!

I figure that if I didn't get the NSF fellowship, I won't get the NDSEG fellowship either since it's supposedly more prestigious (according to several of my professors). I don't know what the acceptance rate is for my field (mathematics) though...

10% is a pretty high acceptance rate.

Also, NDSEG and NSF select for different things. There are several instances from last year's NDSEG forum where applicants got the NDSEG but not the GRFP. I've heard the NDSEG described more as a popularity contest--more emphasis on grades, GRE scores, and prior research with big names/labs, whereas the GRFP is weighted more towards a well developed research proposal (and outreach, which NDSEG doesn't seem to care much about).

Statistics doesn't seem to be a popularity contest to me, I'd have to say the GRFP is more of a popularity contest. You sell yourself with well written proposals and promises and proof of broader impacts. The only way in which it isn't a popularity contest is that the minority card reigns supreme. If the NDSEG really does weigh heavily on (graduate?) GPA and GRE scores, then I probably have little chance. And in my biased view, I find those two things unrepresentative of the ability to succeed and develop as a scientist anyways.

I'd rather have the NDSEG, as it more closely aligns with my long term career plans, but I will most definitely not be upset if I don't get it. I'll just accept the GRFP.

Good luck tomorrow everyone!

And in my biased view, I find those two things unrepresentative of the ability to succeed and develop as a scientist anyways.

I wouldn't call this biased at all, there are decades of studies to back you up!

e.g. http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=study+grade+as+predictor+of+graduate+success&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart

Edited by Usmivka

Statistics doesn't seem to be a popularity contest to me, I'd have to say the GRFP is more of a popularity contest. You sell yourself with well written proposals and promises and proof of broader impacts. The only way in which it isn't a popularity contest is that the minority card reigns supreme. If the NDSEG really does weigh heavily on (graduate?) GPA and GRE scores, then I probably have little chance. And in my biased view, I find those two things unrepresentative of the ability to succeed and develop as a scientist anyways.

I'd rather have the NDSEG, as it more closely aligns with my long term career plans, but I will most definitely not be upset if I don't get it. I'll just accept the GRFP.

Good luck tomorrow everyone!

I WISH I'd been able to send my grad GPA/transcript in, but it was due before the end of my first semester. I'm with you on the NDSEG front - my research and career goals match closely around the DOD.

I'm in Europe at the moment, so a 5pm ET release for me will be 11 pm here, and being a Friday night and all, I probably won't see my e-mail until Saturday morning... So, rejection or award, I won't know 'til Saturday.

I'm hoping for a morning/afternoon release so that I can celebrate or drown my sorrows in the evening!

That makes two of us. Viel Glück!

Let's see...my 2 *previous* rejections came at these times during the day:

Date: April 12, 2010 3:42:27 PM UTC-4

Date: April 18, 2006 8:58:34 AM UTC-4

So, both morning and afternoon. Can't wait to see what time this years comes!!

I love it how they just tell it straight up old school "we regret to inform..." it was the exact same letter 4 years apart....maybe they'll shake it up this year!!

Do we know whether they send them out at the same general time or whether it takes place over the course of the day?

From past forums, it appears that they send them out over the course of several hours. But maybe they'll have mercy on us.

Do we know whether they send them out at the same general time or whether it takes place over the course of the day?

Well...does anyone else have a rejection timestamp from last year? Probably on last year's forums...

Edited by kkompiles

Ja, hast du mal in Deutschland gelebt?

Ja, und ich lebe jetzt hier (Mannheim), aber mein Deutsch ist sehr schleckt. Ich mus mein Deutsch üben.

Well...does anyone else have a rejection timestamp from last year? Probably on last year's forums...

Yea, April 12th, 3:42pm UTC-4.

Edited by Kriegsspiele

Unf. Here's hoping it comes before 2PM. I'd like to be able to discuss my funding situation with my advisor this afternoon with all the facts.

The good news is that if you get a rejection e-mail, you don't even have to open it to know the result (if you're using gmail at least), as the first 3 or 4 words give it away, and those are previewed in your inbox ;). It's like when you get college rejection letters in puney little envelopes.

Edited by Kriegsspiele

The good news is that if you get a rejection e-mail, you don't even have to open it to know the result (if you're using gmail at least), as the first 3 or 4 words give it away, and those are previewed in your inbox ;). It's like when you get college rejection envelopes in puney little envelopes.

Your optimism is most assuredly contagious (;

I just hope that a lot of the NDSEG winners this year are people who DIDN'T win the NSF GRFP. There always seems to be a lot of overlap, although the NSF evaluation panel members seem to be especially capricious.

I just hope that a lot of the NDSEG winners this year are people who DIDN'T win the NSF GRFP. There always seems to be a lot of overlap, although the NSF evaluation panel members seem to be especially capricious.

While I agree with this in the spirit of spreading the wealth (putting aside my own situation), I am glad that they judge applications based on their own merit as opposed to gerryrigging it such that they award to two separate pools. That of course assumes that awards are made based purely on merit, which is up for debate (but one could argue that if the majority of the applications are appropriately meritous, then there has to be differentiation based on reviewer bias, etc etc), but they are two very similar fellowships albeit the NSF with a larger pool of candidate disciplines, so I would expect a fair amount of overlap if people tend to apply to both. The new rule that you can't take both would seem to fulfill your hope - if someone wins both, one of them will end up going to someone who didn't such that it all shakes out in the end.