Waiting on others....Etiquette

mooseundsquirrel

So, I've been admitted to two schools, both of which I'm really excited about. The only catch is that, while one has already offered funding, the other is waiting to see if money will work out. The first school is pressuring me to make a decision asap, but I'd feel a bit irresponsible making such a huge choice without knowing all of my options. So, first, I guess I'm wondering if it would be ok to word an email to the (funded) POI like this:

...Thank you very much again. I have interviews set up with a few other universities this coming week, and while I still consider your program to be at the very top of my list, I would also like to wait until I have all of the details from each school before making a final choice. (I anticipate this happening within the next week or so.)

And, secondly, to the other ($ as yet unknown) POI like this:

...I just wanted to get in touch to see if there had been any change in my status regarding funding. I'm still very interested in the program, but have been offered admission to two other universities that are eager for me to inform them of my final decision. Please let me know if there's any additional information I can provide. Thanks very much again.

I guess I just don't want to seem too curt or blase about it all - I really am very excited about both opportunities, and a final decision between the two would be very tough.

Both of your emails have an appropriate tone - they both come off as professional and reasonable. The only thing is I won't necessarily put the week time frame on it, maybe 'near future' instead to give yourself more wiggle room.

Good Luck!

So, I've been admitted to two schools, both of which I'm really excited about. The only catch is that, while one has already offered funding, the other is waiting to see if money will work out. The first school is pressuring me to make a decision asap, but I'd feel a bit irresponsible making such a huge choice without knowing all of my options. So, first, I guess I'm wondering if it would be ok to word an email to the (funded) POI like this:

...Thank you very much again. I have interviews set up with a few other universities this coming week, and while I still consider your program to be at the very top of my list, I would also like to wait until I have all of the details from each school before making a final choice. (I anticipate this happening within the next week or so.)

And, secondly, to the other ($ as yet unknown) POI like this:

...I just wanted to get in touch to see if there had been any change in my status regarding funding. I'm still very interested in the program, but have been offered admission to two other universities that are eager for me to inform them of my final decision. Please let me know if there's any additional information I can provide. Thanks very much again.

I guess I just don't want to seem too curt or blase about it all - I really am very excited about both opportunities, and a final decision between the two would be very tough.

One of my schools that offered funding also asked me for an answer, and I told them the truth - that university B offered me full funding and a generous stipend, and university C has told me they will offer funding but haven't yet told me how much, and I want to make sure I have all of my information as well as have a chance to visit university B before I choose.