HDS Housing Advice

Thanks4Downvoting

I know this might go under the "city" tab, but the Boston/Cambridge section is so crowded, I don't think I'll get an answer that way.

I was wondering if any current or former HDSers out there could give me some information about housing. Is the Harvard-owned housing (including CSWR and Chronkite) a good choice for the first year? Your opinions on the overall quality are also appreciated. Also, I'm wondering about non-Harvard owned housing. Where's the more affordable places to live? Cambridge, Somerville? I'm trying to get my rent at 1k to fit my stipend. Any HDS housing advice is appreciated!

I know this might go under the "city" tab, but the Boston/Cambridge section is so crowded, I don't think I'll get an answer that way.

I was wondering if any current or former HDSers out there could give me some information about housing. Is the Harvard-owned housing (including CSWR and Chronkite) a good choice for the first year? Your opinions on the overall quality are also appreciated. Also, I'm wondering about non-Harvard owned housing. Where's the more affordable places to live? Cambridge, Somerville? I'm trying to get my rent at 1k to fit my stipend. Any HDS housing advice is appreciated!

You can live quite comfortably for 1000 a month. Though I think a lot of the Harvard housing might be more expensive? The CSWR is nice, but pricy. If you live there you'll be right across the street from the school! I pay about 550 a month, but I live with 5 people. Our place is pretty nice and close to school though.

Does anyone have any information on if people split the rent for some of the apartments at CSWR and how that might be arranged, if accepted?

You can live quite comfortably for 1000 a month. Though I think a lot of the Harvard housing might be more expensive? The CSWR is nice, but pricy. If you live there you'll be right across the street from the school! I pay about 550 a month, but I live with 5 people. Our place is pretty nice and close to school though.

Any specific info LisaTO concerning specific places? Davis Square? Porter Square? Also, should I go ahead and resign myself to a rental service to find an apt, because I'm so far down in Dixie?

Does anyone have any information on if people split the rent for some of the apartments at CSWR and how that might be arranged, if accepted?

Would be interested to hear what you find out about this. It occurs to me that splitting one would be more cost effective than a studio, and still have many of the things I would love in housing (on campus, bathtub, not a single bed, other whimsical stuff, and OMG CSWR!).

Would be interested to hear what you find out about this. It occurs to me that splitting one would be more cost effective than a studio, and still have many of the things I would love in housing (on campus, bathtub, not a single bed, other whimsical stuff, and OMG CSWR!).

geez, i wonder if i should start investigating the housing situation this early?

Any specific info LisaTO concerning specific places? Davis Square? Porter Square? Also, should I go ahead and resign myself to a rental service to find an apt, because I'm so far down in Dixie?

I like Davis Square, but it's at least a 30 minute walk to school--maybe more. I'm thinking about moving out that way because I like the vibe. I live in Cambridge right now, almost in Somerville. Somerville is kind of the cheaper location to live in. You could live in Union Square or Inman and still be pretty close.

Last year we had to go with a an agent, because we weren't from the city. This year I hope to have better luck on my own.

Oh and if you get a place for Sept 1st, there's a decent chance you won't get it until the 1st and school starts before then.

The price break for a 2 br is astounding....I'm interested in finding out how to split one of these units as well.

At the CSWR? The two bedrooms units are shared, of course. I'm not sure how they assign roommates, but it sounds like they didn't know each other before they moved in.

geez, i wonder if i should start investigating the housing situation this early?

Depends on what you want. I've already applied for the oncampus grad housing options and created my Harvard-run off campus housing app -- you have to fax your admissions letter to get it approved. They're lottery based, but some have priority deadlines coming up or other reasons to apply early.

As someone who lives in the area, $1,000 is definitely a decent budget for rent, especially if you are sharing with a roommate. Go a little further from Cambridge and you'll get MUCH more bang for your buck; Harvard is comparatively expensive. Somerville and Medford are great places to live (I've lived in both!), and Davis Square is awesome (Porter is also awesome, but a little pricier). I've had nice apartments near Davis and in Medford/Somerville that run about $500 to $650 per bedroom for multi-bedroom, and around $1000 to $1200 for one bedrooms.

In terms of getting to campus, the MBTA is your friend: the Red Line (subway) runs from Davis to Harvard in ten minutes. Alternately, there are bus routes that run between the cities often. My personal favorite is the #96 bus: it goes from Medford Square, past Tufts, through Davis Square, through Porter Square, all the way up Mass Ave to Harvard. Check out the bus routes and as long as the apartment is near a bus that drops off close to Harvard, you should be all set.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes - you really should investigate this early. I'm local and I can tell you that every college student (undergrads included) in the 20 or so colleges around here is looking for a place September 1st . (Us locals try our darndest to get a different lease date but often have no luck on that either.) Your best bet is to try to get a place which opens August 1st - there aren't as many but you are settled before school starts and you have slightly less competition. Don't let any rental agent try to convince you he's exclusive, call all the rental places and also use craigslist.

Also - when you do move be sure to reserve a u-haul and pay the city for a permit to block off a parking space in front of your new apartment well in advance. September 1st and August - to a lesser degree - are both busy. The good news about that is that some relocating person is likely to leave some ok furniture on the curb for pickup. So, you can save a couple of bucks there. :)