SMFA Scholarships and Fin Aid decisions

Artist1

I don't know yet if I am going. As I stated in a previous post, I am still short thousands even with my scholarship and maximum loans. So I'm trying to sell my artwork and figure out how to make a lot of money in very little time. I have money saved up for the move and for living expenses to start out, but not enough to cover the left over tuition as well.

Also, I'm first on the waitlist for another school that offers a great package....I'll find out about that next week.

If I end up deciding on SMFA, I'll exchange emails/websites!

I'm going as well. anyone want to swap emails or websites? itd be nice to get to know each other a little bit ahead of time.

I don't know yet if I am going. As I stated in a previous post, I am still short thousands even with my scholarship and maximum loans. So I'm trying to sell my artwork and figure out how to make a lot of money in very little time. I have money saved up for the move and for living expenses to start out, but not enough to cover the left over tuition as well.

Also, I'm first on the waitlist for another school that offers a great package....I'll find out about that next week.

If I end up deciding on SMFA, I'll exchange emails/websites!

The cost is staggering. I'm still slightly panicked I won't be able to swing it... I'm afraid I won't qualify for the GradPLUS loan and will have to pay the difference out of pocket. Good luck!

I can't do the Plus Loan and can't do Private loans either. Only Federal loans and even with the maximum and scholarship, I'm still short thousands.

I like the school and the opportunities it can provide, but I'm not happy with the tiny studio space. But SMFA is only two years --- although it will be stressful and a lot of hard work to live there. I'll have to work a full time job plus work study to pay my rent, food, and other bills. And even if I get the extra money to pay for tuition this year, I'll still be short for the next year.

SMFA does have an annual art sale, so that could help with paying for the tuition for the next year. I was one of the alumni top sellers at my undergrad school for the past 5 years. Unfortunately the 2010 sale was my last here. But I made a good amount of money to live off of for most of the year. I don't know how much money their sale brings in the audience but am assuming its similar to my undergrad school. Something to plan for....

The cost is staggering. I'm still slightly panicked I won't be able to swing it... I'm afraid I won't qualify for the GradPLUS loan and will have to pay the difference out of pocket. Good luck!

I can't do the Plus Loan and can't do Private loans either. Only Federal loans and even with the maximum and scholarship, I'm still short thousands.

I like the school and the opportunities it can provide, but I'm not happy with the tiny studio space. But SMFA is only two years --- although it will be stressful and a lot of hard work to live there. I'll have to work a full time job plus work study to pay my rent, food, and other bills. And even if I get the extra money to pay for tuition this year, I'll still be short for the next year.

SMFA does have an annual art sale, so that could help with paying for the tuition for the next year. I was one of the alumni top sellers at my undergrad school for the past 5 years. Unfortunately the 2010 sale was my last here. But I made a good amount of money to live off of for most of the year. I don't know how much money their sale brings in the audience but am assuming its similar to my undergrad school. Something to plan for....

I can't imagine trying to work more than full time while in school. I worked full time while getting my undergrad, and it SUCKED. Do you have a website that shows your work?

I know!!

I don't want to work full-time but I can't live off work study. I did work-study part-time mostly in undergrad, but they paid me additional. I also did commissions and sold my work online, so it wasn't too bad. I was able to take out extra loans to pay for supplies and a little bit of housing (which was affordable back then, dorms only $400 a month, shared).

Once I decide on where I'm going to go, I'll post my website link and stuff. I just don't want to have anything linked to my name, etc since I'm talking about the schools still on here. Especially that I'm waiting for the other school to get back to me next week. You never know if they are surfing around. :)

I can't imagine trying to work more than full time while in school. I worked full time while getting my undergrad, and it SUCKED. Do you have a website that shows your work?

Another thing to think about...

The other school that I'm wait listed for is less expensive but it is 3 years - so even though I would not be short of tuition, the federal loans for 3 years would exceed the loans taken out for 2 years of SMFA. Originally I was excited about 3 years but now I'm thinking I'd rather do 2 years. 3 years is a long time and I don't think I need that much time to develop my work in grad school. I've been out of undergrad for 5 years and work full time in my studio selling my work and commissions.

I shouldn't obsess about the options right now since I don't even know if I will get into the other program. But thought I'd mention it in case anyone is thinking about the cost of SMFA compared to a 3 year program that might be less expensive.

Well you can also elect to do 3 years at SMFA if you want. I think about half the MFA students decide to continue on for a 3rd year, but I also heard that they only give 3rd year students studio space if their work requires it...

Two of my favorite undergrad professors came out of the SMFA, one of them chose to do the 3rd year and was a big fan of it. Was one of the factors that lead me to pick SMFA over another program. She said that during your first year you just get really beaten up over your work, second year you start to come up with newer and better ideas, and so by the time the end of the second year rolls around you're in a good spot productivity-wise and conceptually-wise. So then it'd be good to keep that going for a third year where you can only continue developing.

On some places on SMFA's website it says the third year is free but I'm pretty sure during the interview day I remember hearing them mention something along the lines of $13,000 for a third year, so... not 100% sure on that.

Another thing to think about...

The other school that I'm wait listed for is less expensive but it is 3 years - so even though I would not be short of tuition, the federal loans for 3 years would exceed the loans taken out for 2 years of SMFA. Originally I was excited about 3 years but now I'm thinking I'd rather do 2 years. 3 years is a long time and I don't think I need that much time to develop my work in grad school. I've been out of undergrad for 5 years and work full time in my studio selling my work and commissions.

I shouldn't obsess about the options right now since I don't even know if I will get into the other program. But thought I'd mention it in case anyone is thinking about the cost of SMFA compared to a 3 year program that might be less expensive.

I'd only do 2 years at SMFA. I don't think you get any scholarships for the third year, so you'd have to take out more loans. It's not completely free.

My former professor went to SMFA and said it was a good school but she is in huge debt from it.....and she graduated a long time ago. She said she'd be paying it off until she is 65.

Well you can also elect to do 3 years at SMFA if you want. I think about half the MFA students decide to continue on for a 3rd year, but I also heard that they only give 3rd year students studio space if their work requires it...

Two of my favorite undergrad professors came out of the SMFA, one of them chose to do the 3rd year and was a big fan of it. Was one of the factors that lead me to pick SMFA over another program. She said that during your first year you just get really beaten up over your work, second year you start to come up with newer and better ideas, and so by the time the end of the second year rolls around you're in a good spot productivity-wise and conceptually-wise. So then it'd be good to keep that going for a third year where you can only continue developing.

On some places on SMFA's website it says the third year is free but I'm pretty sure during the interview day I remember hearing them mention something along the lines of $13,000 for a third year, so... not 100% sure on that.

I was told that the whole cost of the third year was changing. And you guessed it, it's changing to more, not less, so the website may be accurate. I was told it's there if your work starts to change drastically more than if you stay close to the same media/subject that you do going into your first year.

Leaning toward Syracuse now. Studios are huge. Area looks beautiful. Just hours away from NYC. Program is great and small. Great scholarship + TA + stipend. Housing is cheaper. You can get a huge fancy condo with a balcony, fitness room, and swimming pool or rent a house for around $800 or less. Although, I'd stick with a regular one bedroom to save some cash for my trips to NYC (can stay with friends for free, take the train there). $500 - $600 for a nice bed one bedroom.

Thinking about SMFA/Tufts.....I'd still have to work a full-time job, work-study to struggle and "get-by", live in a crappy little expensive apartment or with a huge group of loud students, work in a cramped studio without "real" walls. And commuting even to Tufts is a pain in the ass. I don't know if I'd find time to sleep....to create work.... good work.

I've talked to my former mentors/professors, friends, family etc.... some of which have been to both schools for their MFAs. Most say to go to Syracuse... to go where I feel that I can create the work that I need to create.

I still have a little more time to decide....but need to very soon.

Btw. I've talked to some students that live in Boston and they said it would be best to get 1 - 3 brokers to help you find an apartment or other housing if you are out of state. They usually won't charge a fee or a small one (the landlord/company takes care of it). Have them take pictures, etc. I've been reading about the bed bug infestation.... another thing to research before moving.

Decisions...decisions.. :/

Decisions...decisions.. :/

I love Boston and can rave endlessly about how awesome it is to live here, in spite of the cost, but if it comes down to having to work so much to support yourself while in school versus having to work less, giving you more time to dedicate to your MFA program, I'd say go with the latter. Syracuse's program is pretty good, isn't it? I think you'd appreciate having more time to work on your art in the long run.

Syracuse has a great program and they only accept 3 people for the MFA Painting a year. Jerome Witkin teaches there, which is amazing. They have distinguished faculty and great visiting artist program. I feel the program is very personalized. They provide great studio space, private and sky-lit. The student work is great and IMO some of the best I've seen coming out of all the art programs across the country. Many alum have received prestigious grants after graduating. A lot of figurative work... my work really fits in this program.

I don't know how I feel about being on a big campus with tons of undergrad, sports, etc. I guess I won't really be interacting with them on a daily basis, but they will be all over town. The city is so small which is hard for me. I don't need a huge city but it will be weird moving to a smaller town.

I like SMFA/Tufts but am disappointed with the provided studio space and facilities. I didn't expect space like at Syracuse, but I guess something more organized and large enough to move around in. When I was there for the interview and tour, the other applicants didn't seem to mind the size of the studios..... I think a lot were coming from undergrad so they were used to smaller spaces like that. My studio wasn't even that small in my undergrad though. Also, there seemed to be a lot of photographers and performance artists in my touring group. Painting usually needs more space, and storage space! I feel that if they offered even a slightly larger organized studio space, then it might be worth the financial struggle. But I think, what am I going to struggle for? I'd struggle to work in a studio space that's too small and chaotic where I know I can't work peacefully and even move around. I'd struggle for the name SMFA/Tufts on my diploma. Not saying the program isn't good, but I think it comes down to the work.

I think you are right, but I'm not 100% on my decision yet. I have this nervous feeling that I might be passing up a better opportunity for my art career....or maybe not. It comes down to the quality of my work and my drive...

I love Boston and can rave endlessly about how awesome it is to live here, in spite of the cost, but if it comes down to having to work so much to support yourself while in school versus having to work less, giving you more time to dedicate to your MFA program, I'd say go with the latter. Syracuse's program is pretty good, isn't it? I think you'd appreciate having more time to work on your art in the long run.

I got some more money out of them. I'm going to send the deposit even though i'm still a little jittery about the cost. I'll probably be trying to find a roommate for the first year. My gf will move out in my second year, assuming all goes well.

I'm going, too!

What is everyone planning to do about housing?