What to do if you don't get in?

kaister

So being a transfer student just switching to the Psych major it doesn't give me much time to gain research experience. Which in turn doesn't give me many opportunities to get good LORs. I'll still being applying for graduate schools next year but I want to be prepared for the worst.

If you don't get in anywhere, what do you do then? I hear people say just wait til next year to apply and get research experience in that time. But how does that work? I don't get how you can do research projects with professors if you're not in school anymore. Do universities allow you to participate in research and/or work on publishing anything while not being a student? That limbo land of graduating with a psychology degree but nothing more is scaring me. I don't want to be stuck there.

Also say you do wait and try again the next year, what about LORs? Are professors going to agree to write you a whole new set of LORs for the next year, and the fact that you won't be a student of theirs anymore, they might forget who you are, etc. The timing just throws everything off.

Anyone been in this situation or have advice for this scenario?

I know several people at my school who continued working in labs after they graduated (but before they got into grad school). They take volunteers, and some of them have paid positions.

You can volunteer in a lab. I do not believe you have to be a student, you just need to professor/researcher to be cool with you being part of it (I do not think that would be a problem if you are a volunteer). Especially if you explain your situation to them and then you just have to show up when you are supposed to and do the work you are supposed to do.

A masters program would not be bad to consider if you have little psych experience. Hope everything works out well for you.

Edited by farnsworth

I have spent the last year volunteering in a lab. The experience has gotten me a job offer in the lab. It is a great way to get more experience with research. Like the poster above, you just need to find a professor/researcher that is willing to have you. All I did was email labs in my area that I was interested in their research and give them brief information about my background and what I was looking to gain. (like if I wanted to expand my research experience with child, etc.) Those that were interested asked for more information.

A Master's degree is another great way to get experience. Both have their pros and cons and money issues.