Well .... EE / ECE admits anyone?

Guest bgk

Guest another guy

Even I havent heard anything from caltech and profs (2 of them not replying) and i guess the show is over there, from a student there I heard one of the profs is NOT taking anyone and the other has already sent out offers :(

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Samantha

So Caltech is over. Phew! At least I know. But I am really irked that I had to come to that conclusion on my own through a message board, instead of being contacted directly by someone. REALLY irked. They referred me to Dr. Doyle with the Control & Dynamical Systems. He hasn't answered my email, but I can only assume that I would have known already if I was in.

I applied to RPI (my alma mater), and they're still reviewing. The stupid admissions office lost half iof my application because they are incompetent idiots, so I was a little worried there, but they found it somehow and apparently everythign is OK. The EE secretary emailed me yesterday to ask what grade I got in a DSP class I took last semester, so that's hopeful. They notify by mail, so I guess if they're still reviewing as of yesterday, I got a bit to wait. However, graduate "accepted students day" is on 3/31, so it can't be THAT much longer. ;)

Rutgers - I emailed the EE department earlier in the week and I got a reply that basically said the committee is still reviewing and that I should be patient. Grar!

And that's it. I only applied to 3 :( I had a longer list originally, but i nixed a few schools because they didn't have any research that interested me, or were in shitty places that I didn't want to live in for the next 5-ish years.

If I dont get into RPI or Rutgers, I will apply to Maryland (they oddly admit for spring term) and Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken, NJ (they have rolling admission).

Good luck to everyone else!!!

Guest Samantha

Sooooooooo... everybody... I've still got no word from Caltech, how bout you?

let's all bump this thread when we get our "We regret to inform you..." form letters!

Guest Samantha

Ok I heard from both RPI and Rutgers in the last of 24 hours.

Now I'm only waiting on Caltech. I'm not holding my breath or anything, most likely it's a "no". However I did miss 2 calls yesterday from an unlisted number, and in my happy fantasy world, I like to think that it was a prof from Caltech telling me I got in.

Back in reality, I think it's time for me to decide between Rutgers and RPI. Anyone have any opinions on that??? My area of interest is control systems / robotics.

Guest Samantha

Ok, so Rutgers isn't giving me any aid. I thought being accepted to PhD programs without aid was rare? Why didn't they just reject me? :|

Now I'm worried RPI won't give me aid either.... so worried :(

Most likely MIT, as long as I can secure a TA or RA position. Had an interview today for an RA position, still waiting to hear regarding TAing. Was really hoping that I'd have everything sorted out by today, but oh well. If I can't secure something there, then probably Berkeley. PhD at MIT only requires 2 courses though, and there qualifying exam is supposed to be pretty easy. At this point I just want to focus on research (took 10 courses during my Master's).

Guest Samantha

Just found out i got no funding to RPI or Rutgers... If anyone here got funding to either of those places and are not going, please let them know!

...or I guess I'm not going anywhere this year.. :(