accepted by the University of Chicago's harris school (mpp)

pure7b

I just know that I am accepted to the MPP program. Unfortunately , they will not offer any scholarship for me. I really do not know whether I should accept the offer. The tuition is about $ 35100 each year. I may have to pay by loan. If I graduate from the school , will I be able to find a good job ? How do you guys think??

i have a friend who took the loan to pay for his graduate school (top private program). and he has been complaining the loan system, how bad the loan is, how bad government is.....while just intentionally ignoring the fact that it was HIM made the decision to take the loan for graduate school.

so what i want to say is, if you are totally fine with the loan, maybe go ahead, Chicago is apparently a great place. If you are purely talking about the financial rate of return (no one can guarantee you a 80K job right after your graduate school, and no one know how quick you could have your salary increased to 100K, and am not sure about your life-style either. Therefore it might take 5 years or 10 years to pay off the loan?). EVENTUALLY. Eventually, you will be able to pay off the loan. Just your choice to live shouldering the loan shadow or still live happily with 60K to 80K loan without knowing when you could pay it off.

I, personally, am not comfortable of taking so much loan, though i am confident that i will get a good job after graduate. (i actually did get a good job after graduation from one top private school)

sorry that i do not want to sound hush. I got very annoyed by the guy who took loan and being unhappy person and affected EVERYONE around him. -- just because he choose to take the loan HIMSELF.

But Chicago is great place for study. Good luck!!

I'm in the same boat. Accepted without funding. It's a tough choice and I'm curious if others are facing the same decision. I'd also like to get in touch with any other student's at Harris or alumni who have attended without funding. I've contacted Ms. DeCarlo about this.

Yeah, I am in a similar situation -- in at Maxwell ($$$), CMU ($), and Harris (None). I'd like to consider Harris, but with no funding can anyone really justify it? (Not a rhetorical question...would like to hear opinions).

Edited by namename

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I am in a similar situation -- in at Maxwell ($$), CMU ($), and Harris (None). I'd like to consider Harris, but with no funding can anyone really justify it? (Not a rhetorical question...would like to hear opinions).

Namename, I am in the exact same situation with those three schools. Harris is truly my first choice, but it's very hard for me to overlook the savings of Maxwell. Can anyone speak to whether Harris is 'good enough' to justify about $25,000 in loans when I could go to Maxwell (and perhaps CMU) debt free?

• 11 months later...

bumping this thread for it's new found relevance

I've been offered admission at UChicago Harris, with no $. I'd very much like to attend the program, just cannot figure out how.

Opinions, experiences, ideas etc. from former / current / future students would be very much appreciated.