Wake Forest

leica818

My last post about Winston-Salem, NC in the City Guide forum got no replies, so maybe this one will have better luck...

Just gave Wake the good news that I will be attending their MA program today. biggrin.gif Anyone else going up/down/over there??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Congrats to you too! And I'm from Alabama, actually - going to school in Birmingham now. Excited about the move. :) Are you in school in Dallas now or have you been out?

Dunno if you saw my message yet, but I've been out for awhile (since 2009), and it's been great, but I miss the field a lot. I still work in science, but more physical neuroscience and less psychological neuroscience. What are you going to be studying? I'm excited to see NC too, but I'm still really nervous about it! :P

Dunno if you saw my message yet, but I've been out for awhile (since 2009), and it's been great, but I miss the field a lot. I still work in science, but more physical neuroscience and less psychological neuroscience. What are you going to be studying? I'm excited to see NC too, but I'm still really nervous about it! :P

Well I'll be joining Wake Forest's PhD Neuroscience program. I'm from India.

Well I'll be joining Wake Forest's PhD Neuroscience program. I'm from India.

I'm an international student too and I'm applying for the neurosciences for fall 2011. Unfortunately I got rejected from all except one last school I'm waiting on. I'm thinking they say no, Wake Forest Neuroscience is on the top of my list of programs I'll be applying to next season.

I just wanted to ask you, what attracted you to this program and how easily you think the chances are to get in? Also what other neuroscience programs would you suggest?

Thanks so much and congrats for being admitted smile.gif

I'm an international student too and I'm applying for the neurosciences for fall 2011. Unfortunately I got rejected from all except one last school I'm waiting on. I'm thinking they say no, Wake Forest Neuroscience is on the top of my list of programs I'll be applying to next season.

I just wanted to ask you, what attracted you to this program and how easily you think the chances are to get in? Also what other neuroscience programs would you suggest?

Thanks so much and congrats for being admitted :)

Well, may seem silly, but their site design seemed really reassuring to me. They had great rankings in phds.org for neuroscience, and I liked the close knit environment they spoke about. I had another offer too but chose WFU over that since they have a massive neuroscience program giving me a lot of flexibility for the rotations; the opinions of the current students were very good; and their office responded to my queries within a few days, which to me communicated genuine consideration for their students. The lower cost of living in Winston-Salem and the relatively higher fellowship also helped.

I'm sorry you didn't get into the PhD programs so far. I'm not trying to discourage you but feel it is my duty to let you know that experts advise that you should reconsider before reapplying whether you wish to do a PhD or not, as often people find that the (lack of) high monetary gains for a few years after the PhD are not worth the time and emotions invested. If you are only going to work in industry then a PhD is not necessary. If you haven't done so already you should work in a research lab and see if that is what you truly want. You can also get better LORs there.

If you do want to reapply, most universities keep your app material for the next session too so you may reuse that. A higher GRE score (>1400, one needs practice and I used greedge.com) + TOEFL (>113)+ work ex and papers+ Great SOP (takes 2 months and many revisions). Apply to a wide gradient of colleges Top Middle Safety etc.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Well, may seem silly, but their site design seemed really reassuring to me. They had great rankings in phds.org for neuroscience, and I liked the close knit environment they spoke about. I had another offer too but chose WFU over that since they have a massive neuroscience program giving me a lot of flexibility for the rotations; the opinions of the current students were very good; and their office responded to my queries within a few days, which to me communicated genuine consideration for their students. The lower cost of living in Winston-Salem and the relatively higher fellowship also helped.

I'm sorry you didn't get into the PhD programs so far. I'm not trying to discourage you but feel it is my duty to let you know that experts advise that you should reconsider before reapplying whether you wish to do a PhD or not, as often people find that the (lack of) high monetary gains for a few years after the PhD are not worth the time and emotions invested. If you are only going to work in industry then a PhD is not necessary. If you haven't done so already you should work in a research lab and see if that is what you truly want. You can also get better LORs there.

If you do want to reapply, most universities keep your app material for the next session too so you may reuse that. A higher GRE score (>1400, one needs practice and I used greedge.com) + TOEFL (>113)+ work ex and papers+ Great SOP (takes 2 months and many revisions). Apply to a wide gradient of colleges Top Middle Safety etc.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Thank you so much for your reply.

Actually I already have an MS in pharmacology, and my thesis topic was in neuropharmacology in particular. I did enjoy the research a lot and I really want to go further for a PhD in neuroscience. But thanks for warning me. This is a piece of advice I give myself to my friends who say they want to go for grad school too B)

I had good LORs from professors from both undergrad and grad school, and I've already written my SOP (but I think I'll refine it further and show it to more professors for their input). I also think I'll have to retake the GRE and I'm hoping that I'll have at least one more publication by the time I apply. I hope that will help!

The thing is I'm not so sure whether I should re-apply to the same schools or to new ones, but I'm more inclined towards choosing new places. I don't know if a department that has rejected me before will take me the next time I apply :huh: