Mac or PC?

aquellita

Starting grad school in the fall, biomedical sciences and I want to get a new computer that will be efficient and good for my needs

I've been a PC person and maybe not by choice but that's all I've known

I really want to nail this computer business down

any suggestions? Comments?

PC with Linux (Ubuntu/Debian): Very efficient at resource allocation and memory performance, pretty looking, OpenSource (free AND legal), and PC's are generally cheaper than MAC's so you get the best bang for your buck (you can go the MAC + Linux route but it's just more expensive). Good luck!

Check with your program/POI. Some labs are 'mac labs' where is would be annoying to have a personal PC. I don't have a problem currently owning a macbook and working with PCs at school but programs like Excel can have problems talking to itself across the different operating system versions of itself which can get pretty annoying. Chat up the current students in your program and see if the mac users have any compatibility issues before buying one if that is how you are leaning.

Check with your program/POI. Some labs are 'mac labs' where is would be annoying to have a personal PC. I don't have a problem currently owning a macbook and working with PCs at school but programs like Excel can have problems talking to itself across the different operating system versions of itself which can get pretty annoying. Chat up the current students in your program and see if the mac users have any compatibility issues before buying one if that is how you are leaning.

I actually second this, plus my advice above tongue.gif

PC with Linux (Ubuntu/Debian): Very efficient at resource allocation and memory performance, pretty looking, OpenSource (free AND legal), and PC's are generally cheaper than MAC's so you get the best bang for your buck (you can go the MAC + Linux route but it's just more expensive). Good luck!

This. Ubuntu is a force to be reckoned with. I don't do the same type of work as you do (philosophy and critical theory) but I've used linux distributions for around two years now and won't be returning to proprietary software. Android smartphones have already put a linux distribution in the hands of millions, and I expect more and more people to realize the merits of the open source solution in the years to come.

However, as both this poster and LJK, the best thing to do might be to inquire of the program itself (or students who are there, or POI).

This. Ubuntu is a force to be reckoned with. I don't do the same type of work as you do (philosophy and critical theory) but I've used linux distributions for around two years now and won't be returning to proprietary software. Android smartphones have already put a linux distribution in the hands of millions, and I expect more and more people to realize the merits of the open source solution in the years to come.

However, as both this poster and LJK, the best thing to do might be to inquire of the program itself (or students who are there, or POI).

I think Linux is still not known to most people; has a somewhat steep learning curve (especially if anything breaks); and is still like these spoofs:

Having said that, that's what I use almost exclusively :)

I think Linux is still not known to most people; has a somewhat steep learning curve (especially if anything breaks); and is still like these spoofs:

Having said that, that's what I use almost exclusively :)

Good for you! Your points definitely won't be contested by me. B)

And that video is hilarious! Haha thanks for sharing that

Edited by dgobox