pre medical help

Samender

I am planning to do pre-medical studies in MA, USA (I am an in-state student). But I do not know which course combination to take (majors and minors) so that in near future i have some backup too.

Is biochemistry with genetics / cellular biology a good choice ?

It really depends on your interest. What you can do is focus on your major but do take few science courses outside of your major in preparation for first year medical studies such as histology class or animal pathology type class which are offered in major universities.

• 2 months later...

Greetings,

Its good to have a strong biomedical background like: biochemistry, molecular and cell biology, Genetics, Microbiology, Neurobiology, Anatomy, courses like that. Also, do lot of undergraduate research that involces biomedical sciences and clinical stuff and voluntary work. Because in medical school (for Ph.D., M.D. or both) there are hundreds like you applying, you need to demonstrated to the admission committee what makes YOU different from the rest of the admission pool .

Cheers!! XD

• 1 year later...

I'd say study whatever is interesting to you, just make sure you get the pre-reqs met. Many people major in something like English so they can get higher grades (don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say English is a cake walk, just that programs in the hard sciences tend to be more competitive). The humanities are very important for future doctors as well, so being a well-rounded candidate can only help. There's no one path to medicine. Just don't let yourself be so caught up in "knowing" you want to go into medicine that you ignore other options. I have known a few people who spent their entire undergrad certain that all they wanted to do was be a doctor, and then were hit with the sudden realization that's not what they wanted and they wasted all that time with tunnel vision, struggling to compete and agonizing over grades. It's good to have a goal, but it's better to enjoy what you're doing than try to force yourself into doing what you think you need, in order to get where you think you want to be. 

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I did Music and German at Harvard and got into Feinberg school of Medicine. The major dosen´t matter to be honest.

Have a GPA of 4.0 and amazing MCAT score, rock the Interview and you are in. 

I don't even know if its worth I would not do it again. 

Final year student of Medicine

Edited by SirLuke

I'm not pre med but almost every science major at my school is. Apparently a lot of the advice given if you're going the science route is to either major in something very biochemical based (something like biochem or molecular bio) or anatomy/physiology based (like health and exercise science, for example) as med school is usually half of each. This could just be based on courses required for majors at my school, though. A plain bio major is discouraged here.

I would just say major in what you like and can have a high GPA in.