location vs loans

LeeP

25-30k ? Personally I would never go in dept with this amount. Go for the school that gives you full funding, in the end its your own practice that can develop anywhere ..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I say loans, art world is connections, connections, connections... and your work has to be interesting for sure, whether you stay in new york or anywhere else. for outsiders to break into or build connections or understand how the city and the system functions takes a long time and not being from new york is not exactly helpful. you can do a job and pay off loans, you have to balance your time between exhibitions, work and art practise... if you can do that successfully.. new york is for you.. also the kind of international exposure to art and artists is not available in smaller towns...of course you can visit new york once in 3 months and have access to books and visiting artists but it is not the same...best of luck..

take out loans and there's a magic thing called inflation who will help you take care a decent part of it sooner than you think! (though i don't know if that's the case in the usa...)

Avoid loans.

Grad school in NYC. Massive loan debt. You finish, there you are trying to live in NYC as an artist--and you have $30K in debt.

Grad school upstate. Paid off. You finish, you move to NYC to be an artist--and you have no debt. You can make your "connections" then.

The whole New York thing is overrated. Plenty of successful artists don't live in New York.

• 5 months later...