My Major Branch Bank Doesn't Exist in Durham, NC

Robtastic

So I came across a problem with Banking in Durham. I checked google maps while I was just checking out the city in general, and I noticed not a single Chase bank. It was hard for me to imagine since in Los Angeles Chase banks are everywhere, so i figured there would be one, but there isn't a single one for 50 miles at least....

I'm wondering if anyone else had this issue when moving for grad school and if anyone with some banking knowledge would advise me on what to do best if I have to switch banks or if its even worth it.

Thanks,

Rob

PS. Anyone know what cellphone companies work well in the area

yeah, looks like quite a gap between Atlanta and DC. Unless you plan to get to either of those metro areas frequently, you could either explore Chase's online banking options, or seek out a local bank.

I don't know the area, but if you do open a new account, I will advise you to find out what bank the university uses. As a new account, they will not likely be as trusting regarding deposits clearing, so a big check from the U will likely clear faster into your account if the U's check is also through your new bank.

So I'm headed to Duke University in the Fall and I was getting my affairs in order when I decided to find out where my local CHASE bank was, when to my shock the website said there none for 50 miles, I double checked google maps and the same thing.

My question at this point is what do I do. Chase bank is everywhere in Los Angeles so I just assumed there would be one, now I don't know what to do. I don't use my branch for a lot of things since i do a lot of online banking but I'm worried about depositing checks and getting slammed with ATM fees for taking out cash.

In short do I do nothing? Does it make sense to switch banks to one that is in the area? Have any Duke students dealt with this problem or has it proven not to be a big deal?

You input is valued,

Rob

So I'm headed to Duke University in the Fall and I was getting my affairs in order when I decided to find out where my local CHASE bank was, when to my shock the website said there none for 50 miles, I double checked google maps and the same thing.

My question at this point is what do I do. Chase bank is everywhere in Los Angeles so I just assumed there would be one, now I don't know what to do. I don't use my branch for a lot of things since i do a lot of online banking but I'm worried about depositing checks and getting slammed with ATM fees for taking out cash.

In short do I do nothing? Does it make sense to switch banks to one that is in the area? Have any Duke students dealt with this problem or has it proven not to be a big deal?

You input is valued,

Rob

There's absolutely nothing wrong (or financially irresponsible) in opening up another checking account at a different bank. Heck, diversifying one's savings and investment methods is encouraged in case of bankruptcy anyway.

When I did an REU in Chapel Hill, I ran into the same problem (another Los Angeles native here) when no Chase was around. I just chose the most convenient bank that was also everywhere in California to be my next depository (which ended up being BoA).

So I came across a problem with Banking in Durham. I checked google maps while I was just checking out the city in general, and I noticed not a single Chase bank. It was hard for me to imagine since in Los Angeles Chase banks are everywhere, so i figured there would be one, but there isn't a single one for 50 miles at least....

I'm wondering if anyone else had this issue when moving for grad school and if anyone with some banking knowledge would advise me on what to do best if I have to switch banks or if its even worth it.

Thanks,

Rob

PS. Anyone know what cellphone companies work well in the area

You posted this in two forums. I replied on the other one.

In terms of cell phones, I had AT&T summer 2009 and it was perfectly fine. I traveled all across the east coast (from DC down to Georgia) and I didn't encounter any problems.

Though I wouldn't say no to Verizon.

I would open a new account, and depending on your finances, either keep both accounts or keep one in primary use. I guess it depends on how long you'll be there for. I had to open a new account when I started college because my bank didn't exist anywhere close to campus, and I didn't have a car.

I went to Duke for undergrad, so here's what I'd suggest - go for either Wachovia or Bank of America - Wachovia's basically everywhere in NC, and there's one on Ninth Street off of East Campus that makes for easy walking. Bank of America is pretty widespread across the country, so it's probably most convenient in that aspect, but the closest one is at Northgate Mall, about a half hour's walk from East (or about 5-10 minute drive).

Take advantage of admission into basketball games :)

*Edit

Phone-wise... I use Sprint, and that worked fine for me. Phone signals tend to be awful in the Bryan Center. :P

Edited by TaroTea

Even closer than ninth street, there's a Wachovia right inside the Duke Hospital which you can walk into right off of the main academic quad. I have Verizon, and I think it works best here. I get signal everywhere but in the Engineering buildings while my friend's Sprint phone has trouble getting and maintaining a signal.

Ah ah yes, I heard from B, I think it was, that you were admitted! Congratulations :D

I only know of you, B, and a waitlistee who was applying to do PhD. Trying to think if I know of any more for sure.