History Admissions 2009

Cornell07

Fortiesgirl, I'm assuming it's just the general history program, because this person is doing history and museum studies, not American Culture. I think it's just a prospective student day, maybe somehow different than an admitted students day. At least I would hope so, given that, like you said, there's only a week difference to make travel plans. Good luck to you too! If I find anything else out, I'll let you know.

I also met and kept in contact with a grad student there who does history and museum studies. I wonder if we know the same person.

Thanks for this update although the fact that they are only accepting 2-3 per field is still extremely discouraging.

That's what I was told by the dept. They take about 15 per year and that amounts to about 2-3 per field, depending on the field (some fields accept more). We should all keep our chins up. Some of us (though not me I'm afraid!) have been accepted into more competitive programs.

Okay, I got rejected from my top priority school.

I want to ask those of you who got admission from some schools that weren't your tops,

but got rejected from the school you wanted to get into the most,

what do you do?

Do you go to the schools you got admitted into, or do you apply again next cycle?

Sorry to hear that. I'm going to repeat what everyone else said because you can never hear enough good advice. Definately visit the schools and see if you get a different feel. You never know, you might end up having a new top priority school. As one poster mentioned, one never knows what next year admissions cycle will hold. If you wait and reapply next year, you might kick yourself later that you didn't take a school up on a great offer. I only say this because I had to refuse offers a few years ago for personal reasons and it is now much tougher to get into programs even though my credentials are better than before. Good luck in making your decision.

Thanks for your advices! :)

I think I've gotten over (well, pretty much) the initial disappointment... and am leaning toward accepting the school that made me a great offer, even if it hadn't been the top-top-top school I'd been hoping for. (I guess it is, now. :) )

I called a top choice. Someone who sounded like a student worker answered the phone. This was Hist Dept, not grad admissions. She was very nice, said decisions had indeed been made, notifications would go out "in the next two weeks."

I asked, rogueishly, if she could tell me over the phone what my app decision was. She said no.

Fair enough--I'm guessing that if it's a no, dept phone-answerers don't want the awkwardness of having to listen to applicants whine. I figure I might do it anyway next time, even if they tell me nothing, just to bypass their pre-emptive system and make their worst nightmare come true: "WHY didn't you let me in? I had good grades... People like me... My mom... Oh, God... Why are you DOING THIS TO ME???!!!! BWAH HAH HAH HOOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!" Cue hysterical sobbing.

Fair enough--I'm guessing that if it's a no, dept phone-answerers don't want the awkwardness of having to listen to applicants whine. I figure I might do it anyway next time, even if they tell me nothing, just to bypass their pre-emptive system and make their worst nightmare come true: "WHY didn't you let me in? I had good grades... People like me... My mom... Oh, God... Why are you DOING THIS TO ME???!!!! BWAH HAH HAH HOOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!" Cue hysterical sobbing.

Haha, that's when they should click the auto-redirect button to counselling services. :)

i got into carnegie mellon this morning. if nothing else, it will be exciting to work with john soluri and paul eiss. also nice to have options now.

Congrats. I stumbled upon that department too late in my research. Looked like a cozy little place. They had unique topic specializations, if I remember correctly. And it seemed like they were quite generous with funding.

thanks.

Ah congrats! I'm waiting to hear from them. How did they notify you?

they sent me an email inviting me to an open house weekend, and within that email, it said i had been admitted. i don't know if they're sending out separate admissions emails and i never got it (my email account is evil like that), or if the open house invitation is the acceptance letter. no word on funding though.

I got my first acceptance, from the University of New Hampshire, a few hours before my Masters thesis defense. There's nothing like the promise of money to support your reading habit to start the weekend right!

Well put, and congratulations!

I also met and kept in contact with a grad student there who does history and museum studies. I wonder if we know the same person.

I kind of doubt it, but that would be really interesting if it were the same person. She went to my undergrad and graduated a year before I did. And if we don't know the same person, they probably know each other. :)

I noticed a couple of Brown acceptances on the results page. Are they still in the process of contacting accepted applicants or have they already sent out all of their notifications?

Best,

PLO

panotpijohn, I'd received your email, but I couldn't reply to your address... my mail server said that it couldn't deliver the email, and I'm sorry I wasn't able to reply to you.

I've been accepted into Brown history Ph.D, and I received my official acceptance letter by postal mail. The letters were dated 18 February. Before and after the official letter arrived, I was also contacted by four of the faculty members of Brown history...

As far as I know, the accepted students have all been invited to the mid-March prospective students' weekend, by a grad student who's organizing the visit.

Hope this information helps! :)

Is the person who received the admit letter from Brown around? I have so much fear that my ridiculously unreliable postal worker is going to mess up my mail, any info would be great. Looks like I'm going to have to pull out my lawn chair and camp out at the mailbox...

I'm not the same person that replied about Brown, but I got in too. My acceptance letter did not arrive till the 24th, but I received communication faculty starting on the 20th. As I understand it all admitted students have received emails regarding the visitation weekend. Best of luck! Hope you get good news soon!

Carolina seems to have always been a litter slower in notifying people, but I think this year their decisions are going to be especially difficult. As you may know, there is a massive budget crisis in North Carolina, and its likely that graduate school funding will take a hit. Its quite possible that they still don't know how many offers they will be able to make.... I'd be surprised if we hear anything in February.

Moreover, and you can take this for what its worth, but I was also told by someone in the department that they had an unusually high acceptance rate last year, thus leaving fewer spots open for Fall 2009.

Putting all of these factors together leaves me less than optimistic about my chances for UNC.

Just wanted to pass some information along. I went to undergrad at UNC in History and am pretty well connected there. I was told by a credible source that they received 407 applications this year. Plus with budget cuts the incoming class is going to be roughly half that of last year. I can also confirm that last year they did have an unusually high acceptance rate. If I remember right, they prepared for an upcoming class of 20-25 & somewhere around 35 accepted. I've been accepted to Brown, but I'm still waiting to see what UNC says. All in all things are looking pretty dismal though. Good Luck!

P.S. I was told admissions letters are going out next month, but I think they are still finalizing everything.

Okay, I got rejected from my top priority school.

I want to ask those of you who got admission from some schools that weren't your tops,

but got rejected from the school you wanted to get into the most,

what do you do?

Do you go to the schools you got admitted into, or do you apply again next cycle?

Go to a school you have been accepted at. Finish your masters then apply elsewhere as a more qualified student.

Best of luck!

if the person who got into Florida is on here, how did they contact you?

I didn't make the most recent post, but I got a phone call from the DGS on Tuesday night about my acceptance to Florida. I'm unsure if they have made all decisions.... I would guess probably not.

Any Georgetown admits out there who are thinking of going elsewhere? I could really use your funding. Any thoughts on making a decision between UCSB and Georgetown? (if I get funding at GT that is) Why does Santa Barbara have to be so beautiful, makes the decision that much harder.

So there have been rumors that Columbia and Cornell have made their decisions, and a couple of people have posted that they got into one or the other, but not that many and there hasn't been the usual mass posting of rejections. Does anyone know if Cornell and Columbia have finished making their decisions and notified all their acceptances? If not, does anyone know when they will be doing so? How about WashU or the University of Toronto? I know it's still early, but I'm getting impatient. I work full time, and I'm going to have to start asking for days off to visit schools.