History Admissions 2009

Cornell07

Oh, thank god! After Rutgers sent out acceptances I was 0-2 (of 3!), but I just found out that I got accepted to CUNY. No word of funding yet, but I hope to hear more when I get my letter. The letters went out today, so start checking your mailboxes!

congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!

rebeccafav said:
So I totally caved and just emailed the graduate coordinators/graduate assistants at my four outstanding program to ask whether they had finished making their decisions and when they would be notifying applicants. I will post summaries of any replies I receive in the next couple of days, so keep your eye out for my updates if you're still waiting to hear from Columbia, Cornell, University of Toronto, or WashU. Someone had to do it. :P

The U of T history department apparently was meeting last week and perhaps part of this week as well, and the Centre for Medieval Studies meets this friday for decisions. Good luck!

For those of you who are - like myself - still waiting for something from Columbia, I emailed them a couple of days ago and got a reply... that they "will be sending out decisions by mid March."

By the way, has Michigan finished sending out their decisions? I'm a Fulbrighter, so I hear decisions a little bit slower (via Fulbright offices), but I STILL haven't heard anything from Michigan. Goodness, if I've been rejected, I'd like to be told straight away... Have they finished announcing?

Then I got a rejection from them yesterday...Did I say something unintentionally heinous on the phone? Was it bad to have stated that they were not my top pick? What DOES go on in those adcom meetings?

I was honest and said it wasn

maybe mumblings wanted acceptances across the board?

i had considered applying to UNC but the prospective adviser really didn't sound interested in what i wanted to study. "but apply anyway, i really look forward to reading your application!" yeah, no thanks. he's a great professor, a fantastic historian, a nice guy too. but i could tell that regardless of what my qualifications were, i'd get rejected.

you told them they weren't your top choice, so they're going to offer a place to students who really want to go to their school. don't lose any sleep over it. UNC doesn't want you, but there are plenty of schools (including your top choice) that do.

8in2009 said:

Thanks for taking one for the team. ?

You're welcome ?

My first update: Toronto said decisions have been made and letters are being mailed this week, so expect a response soon. WashU emailed me back to tell me I was rejected and would get a letter soon. I'm still waiting on Columbia and Cornell, but I expect them to take a few days to respond.

rebeccafav said:
My first update: Toronto said decisions have been made and letters are being mailed this week, so expect a response soon. WashU emailed me back to tell me I was rejected and would get a letter soon. I'm still waiting on Columbia and Cornell, but I expect them to take a few days to respond.

Sorry to hear about the WashU rejection, but at least you're accepted at some other schools.

Just got in at Temple. Since I'm a funding-alternate at Missouri, this makes it a tough decision. I guess I'll have to wait and see what kind of funding package Temple awarded me. Hopefully people will be quick about rejecting their offers at Missouri so I can know by April 15.

My first update: Toronto said decisions have been made and letters are being mailed this week, so expect a response soon.

Then why does my application status says "Under Review"? Weird... Well, the sooner it's over the better. Thanks for the info anyway.

looks like their "history day" was yesterday for students with offers. i also didn't hear from them yet but i assume the worst. :(

Thanks for the information :-) I'll be ok either way, but it would be really nice to hear back. I want the waiting part to be over, so I can start seriously weighing my options instead of obsessively waiting for mail. Good luck!

Has anyone heard from Wisconsin-Madison about funding?

My original acceptance letter stated that funding details would come later. A little while ago, I received a letter with more information-- two years of full tuition, stipend, and health insurance. Apply for internal and external funding after that, we help you with this, our students have been successful in this regard, etc.

I got the sense from my Michigan history professor when I asked about accepted students in our field the other day that they've pretty much notified everyone by this point. So if you didn't get a phone call or a letter, it's pretty much a rejection, or wait-list at best case scenario. 18 acceptees, a bit of a wait-list, and many, many rejections.

I am in at Toronto as of last week for Modern Europe. If you were admitted to the program, you probably would have received an e-mail from the grad director last Friday. The timeline might be different if you are medieval or near east, however. Whatever you do, don't rely on the website, because there's a significant lag with the updating (I'm also still pegged as "Under Review"). Also, I do think admissions are somewhat rolling, so you might still get offers as others turn down, etc.

Not sure if I'm going yet as I'm still waiting on a few other schools and have a few other options on the table aside from History PhDs, but there's a very good chance I'll be there in the fall.

But hey, if any of you other Toronto prospectives here are seriously thinking of (or are) going there this September, get in touch! I did my undergrad there and know the department and university quite well, and also know a few current/past PhD students. I'm also a long-time Toronto resident and can give you the lowdown on any questions regarding places to live, cost of living, the city itself, etc.

I broke down and called Columbia.

If you haven't heard it's because GSAS is messing up the rejections. It's not because we have secretly been chosen for a super secret historical society that admits only the best and brightest with a guaranteed tenure track position upon completion of the program. Not that I thought that was what happened or anything...

I just got accepted to Delaware. Well, I had to call a few people first to tell them the good news. They offered me full tuition and a stipend (four years), though no word on how much (stipend) yet. I am so happy because I really love the program.

Guess I'll be able to sleep tonight!

I just got accepted to Delaware. Well, I had to call a few people first to tell them the good news. They offered me full tuition and a stipend (four years), though no word on how much (stipend) yet. I am so happy because I really love the program.

So I think I'm going to have a nervous freak out! How did you find out?? Email, phone, mail? Today? Crap crap crap crap crap!

EDIT: Congratulations by the way! I am happy for you, that just got overshadowed by my freak out for a minute. :)

I am in at Toronto as of last week for Modern Europe. If you were admitted to the program, you probably would have received an e-mail from the grad director last Friday. The timeline might be different if you are medieval or near east, however. Whatever you do, don't rely on the website, because there's a significant lag with the updating (I'm also still pegged as "Under Review"). Also, I do think admissions are somewhat rolling, so you might still get offers as others turn down, etc.

Not sure if I'm going yet as I'm still waiting on a few other schools and have a few other options on the table aside from History PhDs, but there's a very good chance I'll be there in the fall.

But hey, if any of you other Toronto prospectives here are seriously thinking of (or are) going there this September, get in touch! I did my undergrad there and know the department and university quite well, and also know a few current/past PhD students. I'm also a long-time Toronto resident and can give you the lowdown on any questions regarding places to live, cost of living, the city itself, etc.

I just messaged you!

Congratulations! I got an acceptance e-mail today as well. For what it's worth, this is what they said regarding PhD funding:

Just so you are aware of the funding formula, financial aid for doctoral students consists of up to four years of support, including free tuition and an annual stipend ($15,200 for next year).

I've gotten a more attractive offer from another school, so I'll be turning them down. Writing that e-mail is gonna be tough though.

Just got in at Temple. Since I'm a funding-alternate at Missouri, this makes it a tough decision. I guess I'll have to wait and see what kind of funding package Temple awarded me. Hopefully people will be quick about rejecting their offers at Missouri so I can know by April 15.

Congrats again - glad you're racking up some late-season good news. I started strong and have finished weak. But I suppose that's the less stressful way to go. I always got the impression that you were more keen on Temple?

"Accepted: UW Madison, Berkeley, Princeton, Ann Arbor, NYU"

Come on... Why are you even complaining?

Inherent genetic predisposition? Some people will never be happy. If I had that string of acceptances, I would have stopped browsing gradcafe long ago. :lol:

misterpat said:

Ah, was it you that posted the Temple acceptance in the results? Congrats! Did you see the decision on the TU Portal/Owlnet web page?